IC-SS Weekly Update: August 31, 2020
Register Voters in Person: Sept 3 + 5
Activist Julia Kline, a member of Indivisible Chicago-South Side, has organized an outdoor, in-person voter registration effort in Hyde Park and Woodlawn. On August 30th, Kevin Murry and Cassandra Fay Smith joined Julia and registered voters at 53rd and Lake Park. Join them for more dates!
- Thursday, Sept 3rd, 4:30-6:00 pm. Meet 4:30 pm at Starbucks at 53rd & Lake Park; the group may move to a different corner as needed. (But please sign up first)
- Saturday, Sept 5th, 2:00-6:00 pm, Side-Hustle Saturday, 6700 S. Dorchester (But please sign up first)
- Other dates/locations TBD
BRING: A clipboard (or two if you have them) + a few pens
BE SAFE: Wear a mask 😷 and whatever else you need to feel safe. Bring disinfecting wipes if you can, to periodically wipe down your clipboard and pens. Wear a hat to keep the sun out of your eyes, but avoid sunglasses if possible; it’s easier to connect when people see your eyes.
WEAR: If possible, wear a t-shirt like Julia’s (above). Order whatever size and style you want here. Otherwise wear a plain white T-shirt. Important: Do not wear anything partisan. When registering voters we must be strictly non-partisan.
SIGN UP: Email Indivisible Chicago-South, and we will immediately pass along your contact information to Julia. If you have questions, please include them in your email.
And while you’re at it, make sure YOU are registered to vote.
1. Illinoisans, check here to be sure that you are registered.
2. Chicagoans, register to vote or change your voter addresshere.
3. Chicagoans, get info/apply to vote by mailhere.
4. Suburban Cook County voters, get all your voter info here.
5. Illinoisans, get even more info on safe, “virus-free” voting at the statewide Indivisible Illinois’ Virus Free Voting webpage.
REMINDER: Chicago and suburban Cook County voters can drop their completed vote-by-mail ballots in secured drop boxes at early voting sites.
IC-South Siders Write Postcards,
Learn about CPAC
Thanks to all 12 who joined our August 27th Zoom postcard party. Congratulations to Lisa Rademacher, who finished her batch of postcards while on the call! See box below for info on turning in your postcards.
We’re grateful to Olivia Sullivan of the Winning CPAC – 4th Ward group. Olivia wrote postcards with us and then gave a presentation on the effort to convince Ald Sophia King of the 4th ward to support CPAC (the ordinance for a Civilian Police Accountability Council).
Olivia asked everyone, from any ward, to sign the petition to Ald King.
Currently, 19 alderpeople support the ordinance, and 7 more are needed. Let’s get to 26!
- Before anything else, SIGN THE PETITION. Sign the Winning CPAC-4th Ward petition to Ald Sophia King (4th ward)
- Want to learn more and take action? See this CPAC resource document.
- Interested in helping Winning CPAC-4th Ward with the effort? Write to Olivia!
Finish Up Those Postcards!
One month to go in the great postcards-to-voters project. Keep working and get ready to turn in your postcards to Indivisible Chicago-South Side by the end of September. Running behind? Ask your friends and neighbors to help you out.
When you finish your cards, contact IC-SS Co-Leader Esther Peters to arrange for safe return of your postcards (in batches of 100). You can reply to Esther’s previous emails to you OR let her know right here.
See You in September: ZOOM
📢 Sign up for our next Zooms: Thurs, September 10th and Tues, September 29th, 7:30-9:00 pm. RSVP for September Zooms here.
Finish those postcards! Join us for our September postcard parties on Zoom. Did you already finish – or just want to connect and find other ways to act? We welcome you all the more. RSVP for September Zooms here.
Phonebank to Voters in WI, MI, IL-14
When we can’t knock doors, we ring phones – a proven way to turn out citizens to vote, up and down the ballot. Thanks to Indivisible Chicago-South Side members for leaping into phonebanking in these critical months leading up to the November election.
We’ve been helping Indivisible Chicago phone voters in Michigan, Wisconsin, and Illinois District 14 (to help Democratic US Rep Lauren Underwood fend off a Republican challenger).
- Michigan Mondays (1:00-3:00 pm)
- Lauren Underwood Tuesdays (6:00-8:00 pm)
- Wisconsin Wednesdays (6:00-8:00 pm)
- Volunteer Recruiting Thursdays (1:00-3:00 pm)
New to phonebanking or need a refresher? Sign up for a clear and friendly 30-minute online phonebank training here.
Let us know if you’ve been phonebanking so we can give you a shout-out!
Indivisible Chicago-South Side
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.