‘Twas the month before August, and all through the land
COVID-19 still rages. The one we can’t stand,
Is still making things up as he goes, oh good grief —
Seriously, how is July almost over? Your newsletter editrixes thank YOU for your activism, whether you write postcards or letters, phone or text bank, oppose racial injustice and police brutality by going to rallies (wearing masks & distancing!) or donate, or … Next week we’ll send our last weekly action newsletter until after the election, but we’re not going anywhere — you’ll still get IEB’s election emails full of info about COVID-safe events & activities, plus updates on our work with elected officials & emergency action alerts. So:
Happy Summer to all, and to all — please stay safe!
Action: State Bills Need Your Help
Deadline: ASAP, votes will be scheduled throughout August – The California legislature is set to return from recess next Monday, July 27, and all bills must be passed by August 31 — so with a lot still before them, legislators have tough choices. We’re prioritizing legislation that would support vulnerable communities, end punitive fees for criminal defendants, ways to reduce healthcare costs, and more. Our article tells you what your Assemblymember and Senator need to be asked to do, plus more about other priority bills for what’s left of the legislative session — our article here has all of the info you need and tailored call (or email) scripts!
Our Big Electoral Week of Action starts at the All Members Meeting this Sunday, July 26, 1:00 PM! Join us in committing to reach out to voters — hear from Flip the West’s Strategic Director about how to win with virtual GOTV, set your personal goal, and join a training on phone or text banking, or writing letters & postcards. Also, we’ll hear from Vice Chair of the Oakland Police Commission about how the Commission keeps the police department accountable — maybe you’ll join the breakout on “Defund the police”? If you need help with Zoom, the virtual meeting room opens at 12:30; the meeting runs from 1-2:30 PM. RSVP here and we’ll email you the Zoom link + our IEB FAQ. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Are you reading this newsletter on Gmail?
You may not be seeing the whole newsletter unless you click for it. When you get to the bottom of the page, look for this:
[Message clipped] View entire message
and click on the link to see what you’d miss otherwise!
What We’ve Been Doing
Join one of Team Vote Save America’s voter outreach crews, based on VSA’s Adopt-A-State program! Indivisible East Bay & friends are building voter contact teams in six critical swing states. Help Team Saguaro crush calls to AZ! Or text with Team Gator (FL) or Team Badger (WI)! It’s easier & more fun as part of a team, plus, we have a voter outreach hub to help us flip the Senate and kick Don out of the WH! To join, email email@example.com
Your donations to IEB support our actions against the Evil Empire but do not go to candidate-related events.
Activities & Events!
2020 Voter Outreach Events
Remote Phone & Text Banks:
- Text Bank to Win in 2020 7/25, 10 AM-noon
- Text Bank to Win in 2020 7/25, 1-2:30 PM
- Phone Bank to Arizona 7/25, 1-3 PM
- Phone Bank to Arizona 7/29
- Phone Bank to Arizona 8/1
- Phone Bank to Arizona 8/5
- Phone Bank to Arizona 8/8
- Phone Bank to Arizona 8/12
- Phone Bank to Arizona 8/15
- Phone Bank to Arizona 8/19
- Phone Bank to Arizona 8/22
- Phone Bank to Arizona 8/26
- Phone Bank to Arizona 8/29
- Can you help reach out to Spanish-speaking voters in AZ & beyond? If so, please add your name to our list.
Postcards & Letters to Voters:
- Online Letter Writing Party to Win in 2020 7/23
- Postcarding Saturday 7/25
- Monday Night Postcarding 7/27
- Tuesday Night Postcarding 7/28
- Online Letter Writing Party to Win in 2020 7/30
- Friday Night Postcarding 7/31
- Want to write postcards from home? Email us for complete instructions, scripts & addresses.
Other Activities & Events
- See our article Come Zoom With Us about how to join us online or by phone, using the Zoom call app.
- July 26, 1-2:30 PM: Virtual IEB All Members Meeting. Info & RSVP here.
IEB doesn’t necessarily endorse the groups, events, or candidates below. Submit calendar events to firstname.lastname@example.org
- For in-person events, evaluate the risks before attending. Always wear a mask and keep your distance from others. Be safe!
- July 25, 10 AM: Help Youth Solidarity Project paint a Black Lives Matter street mural, Ohlone Greenway in El Cerrito, at Schmidt & Manila.
- July 25, 7:30 PM: No Fascist Feds in Oakland! Hosted by Wall of Moms Bay Area, Resistance SF, and others. Info here.
We Could Not Make This Up
Ah, summer. The sound of leaf blowers, the smell of BBQ, or wait, is that tear gas? As Trump’s stormtroopers make “proactive arrests” in Portland, we wonder: does making them anonymous give them psychic powers to know what crimes people will commit in the future? And yeah, in case you were wondering: The First & Fourth Amendments are still a thing, and no, “proactive” isn’t in there. We double checked. You’re welcome. And speaking of the season, what’s summer without a good beach read? We don’t need Mary Trump’s book to know her uncle’s a racist liar! Spend the precious time left before the election to work to kick him out of office!
Want to do more? Contact Us!
- Volunteer with IEB or find out how we work: email@example.com
- Questions/comments about IEB: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Don’t miss an issue: subscribe to this newsletter!
- Questions/comments on the newsletter: email@example.com
- Join us on the chat platform Slack to talk about important issues, plan events, & more! Ask for an invite at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Donate – keep the momentum going!
Copyright ©2020 Indivisible East Bay. All rights reserved.
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.