This is an multi-part series showcasing early warnings to family and friends from an American expat in Italy. To read the series from the beginning, click here.
March 10, 2020 — COVID-19/Coronavirus in Italy
Editor’s Note: On this date, the United States has more than 1,000 cases of coronavirus, including at least 32 deaths, with cases found in every region of the country. Gov. Andrew Cuomo announces a “containment area” around New Rochelle, a suburb of New York City. Michigan, Massachusetts, Colorado, North Carolina, Florida, and New Jersey declare states of emergency. The NBA considers playing to empty arenas. More than 100 universities and schools around the country shut classrooms and move to online learning. Four Republican lawmakers self-quarantine after coming into contact with a coronavirus patient.
I’m just checking in again because I sent my last email regarding the dire situation to 44 of you and only 7 so far have responded. One of those in a less than serious way. So I figure that there are a few possibilities:
- You didn’t see or have time to read my email.
- You read my email, shook your head and went back to living your life, much like you were before.
- You read my email, said, “Oh good God, does he ALWAYS have to bring Trump into it?” and then went back to living your life, much like you were before.
This time I’ll go right to the point. Your life is about to change. If it doesn’t you may lose your life or the life of someone you love.
Italian doctors are overwhelmed and they are sounding the alarm to the rest of Europe and to the US. Why people are not paying attention to them is anyone’s guess but, as this one says, ITALY IS NOT A THIRD-WORLD COUNTRY and, in my opinion, we did everything we could to the best of our ability. We are getting good, solid information and no one is trying to cover up or belittle the crisis. Yet many, many people are dying.
In my last email I told you to trust the CDC. Under a normal presidential administration I would still consider them a perfectly reliable source of information. Last night I saw the press conference held by the President and officials from the CDC. I can no longer tell you to trust the Centers for Disease Control. It is very clear to me that they are doing their best to please their boss, the tin pot dictator, and it seems they are willing to sacrifice American lives to this cause. I was honestly willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. I opened the video fully expecting to see the President call a State of National Emergency. He didn’t do that.
As usual, he talked about what he’s going to do about the economy. He praised himself and his hard-working VP who praised him right back. The fact that he is making this about the economy is just downright frightening. The economy is going to go to shit anyway. Right now it’s time to contain the virus. Because what has happened in Italy is now going to happen in America but on a MUCH LARGER SCALE!!
During the press conference I heard the Vice President say that “the risk of contracting coronavirus is low.”
THE RISK OF CONTRACTING CORONAVIRUS IS NOT LOW. . . IT IS HIGH!!
Now, I know that a guy who starts his emails out with a meme about the firehose of lies might not be taken seriously. So just so you know, some “300 pound guy on a bed in China” didn’t make that stuff up.
STOP!! Before you read further, please click on and read the blog above. Because while you may not believe you’ve been bowled over by the firehouse of lies, I can assure you that you have. I’ve been watching this for 3 years, kids, from the sidelines. The fact is, it’s easier to see the picture when you’re not in the frame.
Now, one more thing before I cut and paste the most important thing from my last email – and I want you to think about this before you further discount anything else I’m about to say: If this coronavirus and the related disease COVID-19 aren’t such a big deal, why did 5 Congressmen who were in contact with someone who was positive quickly go into self-quarantine? Maybe, just maybe, they know something you don’t!
OK. Now that I have hopefully convinced you that you are not thinking perfectly straight and that you really should be SCARED, I’m going to give you the good news. There are plenty of things you can do to stay safe. But I STRONGLY RECOMMEND that you start doing them RIGHT NOW. Don’t wait for anyone to tell you what you need to do.
- Limit your social contacts to a bare minimum.
- Stay at home as much as is physically possible.
- Avoid large events and crowded places.
- No need to hoard but make sure you have enough stuff for a couple of weeks so you can stay inside or at home more. Make sure you have a good supply of any medicines you need.
- Fresh air is good so working in your garden or taking walks is fine.
- Keep your house very clean and disinfect the surfaces often. Wash your clothes more often.
- Get lots of sleep, keep your immune system strong, & drink hot beverages everyday.
- Wear a mask only if you are sick. Health professionals are going to need them.
- Wash your hands a lot. If you can’t get to soap and water use a strongly alcoholic hand sanitizer.
- Try not to touch your face (I hate this one), at least until you’ve washed or sanitized your hands.
Everyone has got to put their life on HOLD.
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.