How do you mobilize broad support for a slate of candidates?
Showcase dozens of candidates for both State House and Senate? Let voters find details on a candidate and volunteer to support them? Do this in a few clicks from a phone or laptop? Keep the information about the candidates up to date with new events? Working with a slim budget, on a tight schedule with few technical skills?
There’s a free app for that: Kumu.
The National Women’s Political Caucus of Virginia (NWPC-VA) created this map in hours using the free Kumu app and help from DemLabs. What’s in the map?
– District boundaries for Virginia State House Districts
– Details on thirteen Senate candidates and sixteen state house candidates
– Details on each candidate, along with a link to their website, photos, videos and bills they have sponsored
– How to volunteer by texting, phone banking and writing post cards for these candidates
NWPC-VA Endorsed Candidates
National Women’s Political Caucus-Virginia
The National Women’s Political Caucus-Virginia is a chapter of the National Women’s Political Caucus (NWPC), a national, pro-choice, multi-partisan, grassroots membership organization dedicated to identifying, recruiting, training and supporting women candidates for elected and appointed office. The Virginia Caucus amplifies the NWPC’s mission in Virginia, and was founded in 2020 to:
- Increase women’s participation in the political process
- Increase the number of women in elected and appointed positions
- Support candidates who support women
- Draft legislation that centers on equality and the needs of women
- Making the Equal Rights Amendment the 28th Amendment to the Constitution
- Giving all Virginia women the freedom to control their own bodies, including accessing abortion care
- Bringing child care and health care equity to all Virginians
- Bringing environmental justice to our most vulnerable neighborhoods
- Developing real and lasting criminal justice reform
- Education equity for all Virginia children, no matter their zip code
Mobilize support with better use and display of information
How can you present information on dozens of candidates so it is easy to search and act on? NWPC-VA chose to present the information in ‘pyramid like’ structure with a high level view to begin with and more details as you go further.
– A map interface was chosen because it is easy to understand and use
– Clicking on a person reveals details in a side panel with link to more information
– Filters allow searching by keyword or category such as House candidates or candidates to phone bank for
This map can be shared with this link https://embed.kumu.io/404d5fa865922b5fc8eccda37301f2b5 or embedded in a website with this code: < iframe src=”https://embed.kumu.io/404d5fa865922b5fc8eccda37301f2b5″ width=”940″ height=”600″ frameborder=”0″></iframe>
TakeAway: Mobilize support for your slate of candidates better with interactive maps.
DISCLAIMER: ALTHOUGH THE DATA FOUND IN THIS BLOG AND INFOGRAPHIC HAS BEEN PRODUCED AND PROCESSED FROM SOURCES BELIEVED TO BE RELIABLE, NO WARRANTY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED CAN BE MADE REGARDING THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, LEGALITY OR RELIABILITY OF ANY SUCH INFORMATION. THIS DISCLAIMER APPLIES TO ANY USES OF THE INFORMATION WHETHER ISOLATED OR AGGREGATE USES THEREOF.
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.