Use this free Dog Whistle Translator to understand politicians’ coded messages.
“American Jews need to get their act together to show appreciation for Israel “before it’s too late” sounded like a Trump threat, said Jonathan Greenblatt CEO of The Anti-Defamation League. “In this moment, Jewish people are feeling besieged, and when the former president of the United States makes if you will, an unveiled threat… In the past, Trump has leaned on stereotypes about American Jews’ loyalty and power, and has “welcomed antisemites and extremists into the public conversation.” The Hill
Politicians use such ‘Dog Whistles‘ to send coded messages that’s easily understood by a particular group of people, but not by others. This free translator makes it easier to understand what they really mean.
Dog-Whistle Politics: It’s a Tradition with the GOP
Republican strategists have been capitalizing on white Americans’ racial, ethnic, and religious sensitivities for decades. Dog-whistle politics often stoked worries about African Americans, Latinos and Muslims in their semi-concealed appeals. – History News Network
- Real Americans – Code for white right-wing Christians. Treating “evangelical White Christians” as a synonym for “right-wing conservatives” does no justice to the millions of evangelical white voters on the Christian Left or those who are not political.” – HandWiki
- Law & Order. Nixon, Reagan and Trump have all called for “Law and Order.” Are they trying to rally the base innocently? Did someone forget to tell them this is code for the N-word? We know they don’t mean “Law and Order” on Wall Street or K Street. On which streets do they want Law and Order? Do they mean Law and Order as it was used to give “The United States the world’s highest incarceration rate and (it) hosts more prison inmates than all other developed nations combined” – HandWiki
- Minimum Wage – “We aren’t going to pay you a living wage “because of socialism.” We are sending half the family to jail where they will work for even less. When we say “lazy minimum-wage workers,” we aren’t just talking about teenagers entering the workforce.” – FactMyth
- Tax Cuts – Don’t worry, we are going to cut welfare, but we’ll also give you liberty and freedom from the welfare state. As you know, rich white people love creating jobs for poor black people. Just think about all the black people who have worked for white people in the past and how empowering it was.” – FactMyth
Freedom is on the ballot
- Abortion/Reproductive Justice: our freedom to decide if and when we grow our families / our freedom to decide whether we have kids
- Climate: our freedom to have clean water to drink, clean air to breathe / our freedom to breathe easier / our freedom to leave a better life for our children, grandchildren, and future generations
- Democracy/Elections: our freedom to vote / our freedom to have an equal say in the decisions that impact our lives
- Economic Well-being, Taxes and Social Supports, Wages and Jobs: our freedom to make a good living/ freedom to thrive / freedom to prosper/ freedom to care for our families/ freedom to retire in dignity with programs we rely on, like Social Security.
- Education: our children’s freedom to learn
- Guns: our freedom from gun violence / our freedom to trust our kids will come home safe at the end of the day / freedom to go to the grocery store, send our kids to school, worship, live our lives, walk through our communities without fear of gun violence
- Healthcare: our freedom to get the care we need (without fearing we’ll go bankrupt to get it)
- Immigration: our freedom to move / our freedom to give our families a better life / freedom to be who you want to be, say what you want to say, and go where you want to go
- Labor and Unions: our freedom to join together in union / our freedom to negotiate a fair return on our work so we can provide for our families
- Medicare and Social Security: our freedom to rely on programs we trust, like Medicare and Social Security
- Paid Family and Medical Leave: our freedom to care for our loved ones/our freedom to be there for our loved ones/our freedom to recover from illness or injury
- Police Brutality and Accountability: our freedom to breathe/our freedom to get home safe/our freedom from police brutality/our freedom to be treated with dignity by those sworn to protect and serve
- Trans and Queer Youth: our children’s freedom to be themselves and pursue their dreams / our freedom to be ourselves
TakeAway: Understand their dog whistles. Vote to protect your freedoms.
DISCLAIMER: ALTHOUGH THE DATA FOUND IN THIS BLOG AND INFOGRAPHIC HAS BEEN PRODUCED AND PROCESSED FROM SOURCES BELIEVED TO BE RELIABLE, NO WARRANTY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED CAN BE MADE REGARDING THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, LEGALITY OR RELIABILITY OF ANY SUCH INFORMATION. THIS DISCLAIMER APPLIES TO ANY USES OF THE INFORMATION WHETHER ISOLATED OR AGGREGATE USES THEREOF.
Reposted from Democracy Labs with permission.
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.