Republicans wage war on women. Ban abortions. Close clinics. Reward abortion vigilantes. Claim rape is an ‘opportunity‘.
Other Republicans claim ‘Legitimate rape doesn’t cause pregnancy. A ProLife Republican asks his mistress to get an abortion. The hypocrisy is rich…
“The Handmaid’s Tale is a novel by Margaret Atwood about subjugated women in a patriarchal society, loss of female agency and individuality, suppression of women’s reproductive rights, and the various means by which women resist and attempt to gain individuality and independence.” Wikipedia
This StoryMap shows the parallels between Republicans and the HandMaid’s Tale.
Republican war on women
- Texas’ abortion ban restricts abortion at six weeks and effectively deputizes private citizens to enforce it. – HuffPo
- For the past decade, anti-choice lawmakers on the state level have consistently tried to roll back abortion rights — that’s nothing new. In 2021 alone, they introduced 663 measures to restrict access to abortion care. – Guttmacher Institute
- Other states have preemptively passed trigger bans in anticipation of Roe falling in the coming months.
- Now, complete strangers may be able to sue anyone who “aids or abets” someone who gets an abortion past that six-week benchmark. If their lawsuits are successful, these anti-abortion vigilantes can be rewarded $10,000 in damages—plus attorney fees. (If they lose, the person who they’ve sued isn’t able to recover those fees.) Anyone in an abortion patient’s orbit could face a lawsuit: the providers, the people who help pay for the abortion, the people who drive the patient to a clinic. – VICE
Rape is an ‘opportunity’
PREGNANCY FROM RAPE IS ‘OPPORTUNITY’ FOR WOMEN, SAYS REPUBLICAN TRYING TO BAN ABORTION Ohio state Rep. Jean Schmidt (R) introduced her anti-abortion measure. The bill is a trigger ban that would outlaw abortions in the state if the Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade.” HuffPost
‘Legitimate rape,’ ‘forcible rape,’ ‘honest rape’: What’s behind the GOP’s obsession with parsing rape? – MSNBCWatch this 30 second video with the soundtrack of “I am woman, here me roar” by Helen Reddy. Video in Spanish.
“A conservative Republican congressman whom conservative organizations have praised for being an anti-abortion crusader sent text messages to his married lover in January, urging her to get an abortion after believing she was pregnant, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported. Rep. Tim Murphy of Pennsylvania, who has a strong anti-abortion voting history, acknowledged last month he had an affair with Shannon Edwards, a forensic psychologist in Pittsburgh. Text messages sent between Murphy’s phone number and Edwards in January show the two discussing the pregnancy scare, and Edwards pointed out Murphy’s hypocrisy in pressuring her to get an abortion.” – US News
- We Are A Prochoice Nation
- 77% of voters want abortion to be safe, legal, accessible, affordable and respectful.
- 1 in 4 women will have an abortion before the age of 45
- Since 2010, state legislatures have passed over 400 restrictions on reproductive healthcare, including abortion bans. As a result, over 300 abortion providers have closed.
- We are a prochoice nation. Let’s vote like one.
How this StoryMap was created
- This StoryMap was designed in about 4 hours with ArcGIS Online
- It includes a clip from the trailer of Handmaid’s Tale which was edited with the free iMovie app
- A background soundtrack from Helen Reddy’s song ‘I am woman. Hear me Roar.’ was added.
- Cartoons licensed from Cagle Cartoons were used
- It has multiple links to articles and videos which are recognized at the bottom of the StoryMap
- The video were translated and captioned. There are on YouTube in English and Spanish.
TakeAway: Expose Republican hypocrisy and their war on women’s rights. #VoteProChoice
DISCLAIMER: ALTHOUGH THE DATA FOUND IN THIS BLOG AND INFOGRAPHIC HAS BEEN PRODUCED AND PROCESSED FROM SOURCES BELIEVED TO BE RELIABLE, NO WARRANTY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED CAN BE MADE REGARDING THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, LEGALITY OR RELIABILITY OF ANY SUCH INFORMATION. THIS DISCLAIMER APPLIES TO ANY USES OF THE INFORMATION WHETHER ISOLATED OR AGGREGATE USES THEREOF.
Reposted from Democracy Labs with permission.
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.