IEB NEWSLETTER 3/18/21
Fight Hate Crime & Voter Suppression
Bad day: you lose your favorite mask; your cat throws up, again. Committing mass murder, mostly of Asian women — Hey, Atlanta area Sheriff’s office, that is NOT just a guy having a “bad day.” Also: the young white murderer, and the Sheriff’s office, claim it’s nothing to do with race, just trying to get rid of sexual temptation. We say, HELL NO. Anti-Asian hate and violence is real, and it’s going on right here and right now. Join us — raise your voice against this hatred, which has grown worse during the pandemic. Read our Lunar New Year article, which lists excellent resources. Register for Hollaback’s free bystander intervention trainings. And call hate crime what it is, today and every day.
Our action this week: fighting minority voter suppression. It’s happening nationwide, including in Georgia. Read on to see what you can do.
Deadline: NOW – We kicked the Vote-Suppressor-in-Chief out and broke the GOP stranglehold on the Senate — now they want to stop folks who vote against them from voting. No vote by mail in Georgia. Nearly two dozen bills to restrict voting in Arizona. Cutting early voting and closing polling places earlier in Iowa. And more. To quote Sen. Raphael Warnock, these restrictions are just “Jim Crow in new clothes.” Join us as we push for nationwide voter protections and resist the suppression efforts directly:
- H.R. 1 / S. 1, the For The People Act, is a comprehensive nationwide voting rights act. It passed the House – now the GOP will filibuster to block it in the Senate. Join IEB’s Zoom phone bank this Sat. March 20, 1 PM to call Arizonans to fight the filibuster and get the Act passed. RSVP here.
- Call Georgia with Center for Common Ground. Many phone banks: sign up here
- Join the email campaign from the New Georgia Project to ask CEOs of Georgia corporations to stop funding voter suppression.
- Write letters to register Arizona voters & check out other GOTV postcard campaigns
- Sign up to volunteer with Movement Labs; stay tuned for IEB Movement Labs events!
- Fair Fight has call scripts for Georgia and info for Arizona & New Hampshire, for your friends in those states.
Read more in our article, and share it widely!
“Rather than voters being able to pick the politicians, the politicians are trying to cherry pick their voters. I say this cannot stand” – Sen. Raphael Warnock, in his first speech to the U.S. Senate, March 17, 2021
- March 20, 10 AM: Tri-Valley phone bank to fight voter suppression laws. Info & RSVP.
- March 20, 1 PM: IEB phone bank, call Arizonans to urge Sen. Sinema to end filibuster. Info & RSVP
- March 28, 1 PM: IEB All Members Meeting. Info & RSVP
Your donations support our work undoing the effects of the Evil Empire and fighting for a just society, but do not go to candidate-related events.
We Could Not Make This Up
Jason Ouimet, ED of the NRA’s lobbying arm, explains that the 172 Republicans who voted against reauthorizing the Violence Against Women Act aren’t anti-women — they were fighting a horrible plot to make them look bad! “Pelosi and anti-gun lawmakers chose to insert gun control provisions into this bill in 2019 to pit pro-gun lawmakers against it so that they can falsely and maliciously claim these lawmakers don’t care about women.” Sure, hon, that’s why we want to keep domestic abusers from getting guns — Devin Nunes, just keep telling yourself that.
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.