Prescott Indivisible is a non-partisan community which seeks to promote a progressive and inclusive agenda in support of human rights and the environment.
INFORM CONNECT INSPIRE RESIST
Immediate Action Needed!!
Prescott City Council to
Select 5 Finalists on Tuesday, Feb 2
View this email in your browser or Link to the Prescott Indivisible website
24 individuals have applied to serve out the remainder of Billie Orr’s term (see list below).
At its January 12th meeting, the Prescott City Council decided that their appointee for this seat WILL NOT be required to run in a special election held concurrently with the August 2021 primary. This means we will have an unelected council member serving for almost three years.
The City Council is scheduled to meet in Executive Session (closed to the public) on February 2nd to discuss the 24 applicants and select finalists. A public comment period will be opened following the executive session. Read the full city press release here: http://www.prescott-az.gov/application-filing-deadline-closed-for-city-council-vacancy/
IT IS URGENT THAT WE PARTICIPATE IN THE FEBRUARY 2 PUBLIC COMMENT PERIOD by submitting comments at that time.
IN ADDITION, please email members of the City Council (with a copy to the Clerk, Attorney and Manager), NOW before the February 2, 2020 Executive Session and public comment period.
Here are some points to consider in your correspondence now and on February 2. Please use your own language. That counts for more standing than repeating verbatim.
- There is strong community interest in the governance of the City as evidenced by the receipt of 24 applications.
- The most responsive and democratic process is to appoint someone only until a special election can be held concurrently with the August 3 primary. It is not too late for the city council to reverse its decision about the length of the appointment and prevent an unelected individual from serving almost three years.
- Regardless of the appointment length, the City must do the following to have a transparent and equitable process–
- City staff must compile and provide the public comments received to all council members before the February 2 decision about finalists, as well as all comments received during the public comment period starting on February 2. Both sets of comments must be shared with the public.
- The City Council needs to establish and share with the public OBJECTIVE criteria/requirements it will use for evaluating/selecting applicants BEFORE February 2, and the criteria it will use to select the actual appointee on February 16.
- The Courier is reporting that on February 2, each council member will select their top five candidates. If this happens, the selection becomes a majority wins scenario unless there are specific, objective criteria established at the outset.
You may wish to send your comments as a Letter to the Editor, in addition to contacting the City Council.
CITY COUNCIL CONTACT INFORMATION:
Copy your email text and forward it to these Prescott City officials:
Candidates for the open Prescott City Council Seat:
Deborah Pernice Knefel
Jacinda (Cindy) Tobin
Roger Clark Tenney
AZResist is an independent calendar covering
civil rights and progressive politics across Arizona.
NATIONAL, STATE, AND LOCAL REPRESENTATIVES
SENATOR KRISTEN SINEMA
825 B&C Hart Senate Office Building Washington DC 20510
REPRESENTATIVE PAUL GOSAR
2057 Rayburn HOB, Washington, DC 20515 202-225-2315
6499 S. Kings Ranch Rd. #4, Gold Canyon, AZ 85118 480-882-2697
220 N. 4th St., Kingman, AZ (by appt. only)
122 N. Cortez St., Suite 104, Prescott, AZ 86301 928-445-1683
GOVERNOR DOUG DUCEY
State Capitol, 1700 West Washington Street, Phoenix, AZ 85007 602.542.4331
MAYOR GREG MENGARELLI
201 S. Cortez St. Prescott 928.777.1248
Our mailing address is:
P. O. Box 12694
Prescott, AZ 86304
Our email address is:
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.