“If you don’t believe in climate change, come to California!”
– Governor Newsom on 8/22/2020
Hope everyone’s safe and able to stay indoors! As fire and smoke envelop the Bay Area, we can agree that we’ve got to do everything we can to save the only planet we have. Environmental protection is one of the many crucial things at stake this November along with affordable healthcare, racial justice, women’s rights, voting rights, and so much more that we Americans value and cherish.
With just 64 days from election day, every action you take between now and then can be the difference between victory and loss. We’re counting on you to ramp up your efforts and donations as we near the finish line!
Calendar at a Glance: Strategic actions every day, every week (see details & more events below)
- Tuesdays, 11:00am-1:30pm PDT: CALL NC (with NC Dems) RSVP
- Wednesdays, 3:00-5:30pm PDT: CALL AZ (with Swing Left Peninsula) RSVP
- Thursdays, 11:00-noonPDT: Basic Zoom & Computer Skills for Phone BanksRSVP
- Fridays, 12:00-1:00pm PDT: Persuasion Training for Phone Bankers RSVP
- Saturdays, 10:00am-1:00pm PDT: CALL AZ (with District LD17 in Phoenix) RSVP
- Sundays, 1:00-3:30pm PDT: CALL NC (with Swing Left Peninsula) RSVP
Specific upcoming dates:
- Thurs, 9/3, 5:00-6:00pm PDT: Fundraiser To Flip AZ’s State Legislature RSVP
Read on for some easy ways to donate and engage with us over the coming weeks:
- Triple Flip Arizona: Win, Win, Win!
- Use Your Voice To Save Our Country
- Other ways to get involved: Texting and Letter Writing
- Swing Left Podcast
- Partner Organization Activities
Meet LD17’s Jennifer and AJ on September 3rd
Democracy starts in the states. It’s critical that candidates who share our common values and goals are voted into state legislatures across the country because the ripple effects are felt way beyond the states themselves. Whether we live in a state or not, Republican gerrymandering impacts each one of us and is destroying our country.
At every level of the ballot, our pathway to victory in November runs through four key districts in Arizona. Senator Kirstin Sinema won these districts in 2018, even though they went for Trump in 2016. That means they’re winnable again in 2020!
Unsurprisingly, when Democrats made significant progress during the mid-terms, the GOP-led legislature responded by quickly passing new voting restrictions making it harder for Arizona voters to cast an early ballot.
Which is why we’re raising money for Democratic candidates running in Arizona’s LD17, one of the four districts key to flipping the state:
- Ajlan “AJ” Kurdoglu: A first-generation American, AJ is fighting to win a seat that the Democrats lost by only 1744 votes in 2018. A small business owner in Phoenix for 17 years, representing Arizonans is AJ’s American dream. His priorities include education and healthcare.
- Jennifer Pawlik: The first woman and Democrat to be elected in LD17 in 54 years, Jennifer won by just 354 votes in 2018! Her priorities include education, healthcare, and criminal justice reform. We can’t flip the AZ state house without retaining this seat!
By supporting Jennifer and AJ with your dollars, you’ll send a bottom-up effect to the top of the ballot and help triple-flip Arizona this November.
Join us for a virtual “Meet and Greet” with Jennifer and AJ!
Can’t attend? Donate here!
Click here for a deeper dive into “Why Arizona’s State Legislature Matters to Everyone!”
It’s all hands on deck to win back the White House, the Senate, and several state legislatures, and to end Republican gerrymandering this November!
To win, we absolutely have to get every last Democratic voter to the polls. Since we cannot go canvassing in-person this year, phone calls are our most effective tool for talking to potential voters. We need many people to help the voters who have questions about ever-evolving policies on vote-by-mail, early voting, reduced polling locations, and more.
Most phone banks now take place over Zoom, which means you’re not alone. You get all the training and hand-holding you need. There’s always someone on Zoom to help you and you’ll find a great team spirit among those making calls with you!
Before you say, “phone banking isn’t for me,” please watch this 3-minute video.
New to or nervous about Zoom?
- New: Basic Zoom & Computer Skills for Phone Banks, Thursdays, 11am-12pm PDT RSVP
Nervous about talking to voters or just want to ease into the process?
- New: Think Phone Banking Isn’t for You? Training for New & Reluctant Callers, Mondays 2:30-3:00pm PDT RSVP
- Phone Banking 101: Click here for Swing Left’s 3-minute intro to the Why, What, & How
- Experienced? Strengthen your “persuasion” techniques Fridays @ Noon PDT. RSVP
Get started now with our strategic phone banking events so you can sharpen your vote-chasing skills by the time GOTV starts in mid-September!
Flip-the-Senate Priority Calls:
The DSCC will tell us which race is most in need of calls every week, based on polling data, fundraising totals, and advertising spending.
- Mondays, 3:00 – 5:00pm Pacific (with Swing Left Peninsula & CA-Dems) RSVP
- Spanish: Sundays, 4:30 – 6:30pm, (San Mateo County LatinX Democratic Club) RSVP
Calls to Arizona:
We’re calling strategic parts of the state, mostly Legislative District 17 (LD17) in the Phoenix area. Our calls move us closer to flipping the state legislature (and ending gerrymandering) and they send “reverse coattail” ripples up the ballot for Mark Kelly and Joe Biden. Every voter we turn out gives us a triple effect!
- Wednesdays, 3:00 – 5:30pm Pacific (with Swing Left Peninsula) RSVP
- Tuesdays – Fridays, 12:00 – 2:00pm Pacific (with the LD17 campaign) RSVP
- Saturdays, 10:00am – 1:00pm Pacific (with the LD17 campaign) RSVP
- Spanish: Tuesdays – Sundays, multiple times available (with Mark Kelly’s campaign) RSVP
Calls to North Carolina:
North Carolina is the only state that promises a QUADRUPLE win! We’re going for its 15 electoral votes, Senate seat, and state legislature flip…and defending Democratic Governor Roy Cooper. One call advances 3 races: Biden, Cunningham & Cooper!
- Sundays, 1:00 – 3:30pm Pacific (with Swing Left Peninsula) RSVP
- Tuesdays, 11:00am – 1:30pm Pacific (with the NC Dems) RSVP
- Wednesdays, 2:00 – 4:30pm Pacific (with the NC Dems) RSVP
North Carolina: Texting with the NC Democratic Party Coordinated Campaign
For U.S. Senate Candidate Cal Cunningham and Joe Biden! Training included.
Tuesdays-Thursdays, 2:00pm Pacific & Saturdays, 9:00am Pacific. RSVP
Arizona: Text Training for the Mark Kelly campaign
Saturday, September 5th, 12:00 pm Pacific. RSVP
Prepare letters for Vote Forward’s “Big Send” campaign and help hit their goal of 10 million GOTV letters!
- To get a large number of letters (500+) to distribute to friends and family, email us at email@example.com
- Click here for our pick up and delivery options in several Peninsula cities.
- Click here if you’d like to download and print letters yourself.
- Click here to sign up for a Zoom Letter Party, where you can chat with other volunteers while you write!
The Letter Date Will Be Moved Up!
If you’re already writing letters for the Big Send and wondering if they should be mailed earlier than planned, Vote Forward is likely to move the date up (view the details here). We will provide updates as we learn more.
On the centennial anniversary of the 19th Amendment, we are joined by four powerful and inspiring women. First off, is Crooked Media’s Political Director, Shaniqua McClendon. We talk about the DNC Convention and her amazing work with Vote Save America. Then we have a great interview with Nse Ufot of the New Georgia Project, and Grace Lee and Marjan Safinia the co-directors of the PBS documentary series, “And She Could Be Next”. It’s an inside look at the history-making women of color running and organizing in the 2018 elections. Tune in here!
Local Event Calendar and Texting Help!
Our local DVC (Democratic Volunteer Center) maintains a fantastic calendar of events with phone banks, candidate fora, and more. Also, learn how to start TEXTING with the DVC’s Getting Started Guide, or get texting help and sign up for a weekly summary of current texting campaigns on several platforms at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fundraiser for TJ Cox
Wed, Sep 2nd, 5:30 – 6:30pm
Join House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer and CA Congresswoman Jackie Speier. TJ is in a very tight race and needs every dollar we can send! RSVP here (donations start at $100)
We Can Win in Iowa!
Support Theresa Greenfield for U.S. Senate and Abby Finkenaer for U.S. House
Tues, Sep 8th, 6:00 – 7:00pm
Theresa, a political newcomer, is in a toss-up race for the U.S. Senate. She’s connecting with voters through her personal experience growing up in an Iowa farming family, her own personal tragedy, and her fierce defense of Social Security. She has a great chance of defeating Joni Ernst and ensuring we TAKE BACK the SENATE. Abby, a popular and effective representative of Iowa District 1, successfully flipped this seat back in 2018. We need to support her reelection to maintain our strength in the House. RSVP and Donate here.
Virtual Scavenger Hunt Fundraiser To Flip Arizona
Sun, Sept 13, 3:00 – 5:00PM
Join Swing Left Maricopa County and Swing Left Inland Valley for a virtual, good old-fashioned (but virtual) Scavenger Hunt Fundraiser. All proceeds benefit Arizona state legislature candidates in the districts key to flipping the state: House Candidates Coral Evans (LD6) & Rep. Jennifer Pawlik (LD17); Senate Candidates Felicia French (LD6) & AJ Kurdoglu (LD17). Sign up here.
Phone (and Text) Bank for TJ and Josh:
- TJ Cox in CA-21: RSVP here for Phone and Text Banking and Trainings.
- Josh Harder in CA-10 (Mondays and Thursdays at 5:00 – 6:30pm): Training begins promptly at 5:00pm for new phone bankers. RSVP here.
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.