This election is not just the most important fight of our lifetime. It’s also likely the most important election of our children’s and grandchildren’s lifetimes. We’re fighting to save the ideals of American democracy, our values, and our shared way of life. Or as Joe Biden puts it, we’re in a “battle for the soul of our nation.”
With just 11 weeks to go, every dollar you donate and every minute you spend working with us counts. We promise you this much — you won’t wake up on November 4th wishing you’d done less!
Calendar at a Glance: Strategic actions every day, every week (see details below)
- Mondays 3-5:30pm PDT: CALL Weekly Senate Priority State (with CaDems) RSVP Here
- Tuesdays, 11:00am-1:30pm PDT: CALL NC (with NC Dems) RSVP Here
- Wednesdays, 3:00-5:30pm PDT: CALL AZ (with Swing Left Peninsula) RSVP Here
- Thursdays, 4:00 – 6:00pmPDT: CALL NC (with Dem Vol Ctr) RSVP Here
- Fridays, 12:00-1:00pm PDT: Persuasion Training for Phone Bankers RSVP Here
- Saturdays, 10:00am-1:00pm PDT: CALL AZ (with District LD17 in Phoenix) RSVP Here
- Sundays, 1:00-3:30pm PDT: CALL NC (with Swing Left Peninsula) RSVP Here
Specific upcoming dates:
- Thurs, 9/3, 5:00-6:00pm PDT: Fundraiser To Flip AZ’s State Legislature RSVP Here
Read more below about:
- Why Other State Legislatures Matter
- Strategic Arizona Fundraising for the Triple Flip
- All about Virtual Canvassing
- Call Arizona
- Call and Text North Carolina
- The Big Send: Over 6 Million Letters to Go!
- Swing Left Podcast
- Partner Organization Activities
The critical elections few people are talking about
We’re all worried about the 2020 Presidential and Senate elections because the results directly impact us and what we value. But did you know that state legislature elections also affect each one of us, whether we live in a state or not?
How? In a word: Gerrymandering. Next year, states will use the 2020 census to redraw Congressional and state voting maps. These maps will shape our collective political future for the next decade!
This battle needs to be fought and won at the state level this November. It’s our big chance to stop GOP gerrymandering and create a fair redistricting process. We’re focusing our efforts on two states with the closest-to-flipping legislatures: Arizona and North Carolina. Of course, they’re also key to flipping the Senate and White House. Read on for ways to help!
Meet LD17’s Jennifer and AJ on September 3rd
Many of us were drawn to Swing Left’s promise to present us with the most strategic uses of our dollars and our hours to take back our country. We can win big by focusing our efforts on LD17 in the Phoenix area, one of the four strategic districts identified by Swing Left as key to flipping the state legislature. This approach gets us more bang for our buck — win at the state level and secure our up-ballot Senate and White House goals as well. It’s a win, win, win!
Among the most competitive races in Arizona, LD17’s under-funded Democratic candidates are up against the GOP’s large coffers! Which is why we’re raising money for:
- Ajlan “AJ” Kurdoglu: LD17 candidate for State Senate, AJ is a first- generation American and has been a small business owner in Phoenix for 17 years. Democrats lost this seat by only 1744 votes in 2018. This year momentum is on our side to surpass that gap!
- Jennifer Pawlik: LD17’s State House Representative, Jennifer is running for re-election. As a public school teacher and college educator, her priorities include education, healthcare, and job creation. In 2018, Jennifer was the first woman and the first Democrat ever to win this seat, but she won by just 354 votes. We cannot win the AZ state house without keeping this seat!
Since these races were so close in the past, supporting Jennifer and AJ is one of the most effective things you can do right now with your political donations. Your dollars will send a bottom-up effect to the top of the ballot and go a very long way to help us triple-flip Arizona!
We’re kicking off our fundraising events with a Zoom “Meet and Greet” with Jennifer and AJ!
Can’t attend? Please consider donating here!
In America, we value our freedom, and that’s why it’s so important to make sure that all our citizens are able to vote. The GOP’s rampant voter-suppression efforts, including constantly changing (and confusing!) vote-by-mail policies, are threatening this fundamental tenet of our democracy. In light of the pandemic our most effective tool for protecting that freedom is virtual canvassing, which can help move the needle by 2.5 percent … a win or lose margin in many races, including the quest for electoral votes in key states!
What exactly is virtual canvassing?
Virtual canvassing brings together the best of in-person canvassing and phone banking. In a normal year, you’d walk door-to-door and talk to potential voters. This year, those conversations still need to happen (and now more than ever) but over the phone and from the safety of your couch.
The best part is that you won’t be doing it alone — you’ll always have other callers joining you over Zoom! Think of the Zoom room as a virtual version of the Democratic headquarters where you used to make calls. You’ll still get all of the training, hand holding, and community spirit you’re used to!
Unprecedented times call for unprecedented actions. Overcome your fears and give virtual canvassing a try today! Get started now with our AZ and NC events (details below), so you can sharpen your vote-chasing skills by the time GOTV starts in mid September!
All Zoom events include training:
The trainers in the Zoom room will get you calling in 30 minutes or less. But if you’d like a little advance prep, check out these excellent resources:
- Phone Banking 101: Watch Swing Left’s 3-minute video here to learn the “why & what” basics
- Persuasion Training: Interested in calling voters but not sure where to start? Looking for a refresher? Learn the “Ten Tools in the Persuasion Toolbox.” Fridays @ noon RSVP Here
We’re calling strategic parts of the state, mostly Legislative District 17 (LD17) in the Phoenix area. Our LD17 calls for Jennifer and AJ move us closer to flipping the state legislature (leading to fair redistricting) and they send “reverse coattail” ripples up the ballot for Senatorial candidate Mark Kelly and Presidential candidate Joe Biden. Every voter we turn out gives us a triple effect!
All events include training:
- Wednesdays, 3:00 – 5:30pm Pacific (with Swing Left Peninsula) RSVP Here
- Tuesdays-Fridays, 12:00 – 2:00pm Pacific (with the LD17 campaign) RSVP Here
- Saturdays, 10:00am – 1:00pm Pacific (with the LD17 campaign) RSVP Here
Spanish Calls to Arizona:
- Tuesdays – Sundays, multiple times available (with Mark Kelly’s campaign) RSVP Here
Elections should reflect the will of the people. But in North Carolina, a majority-Democrat state, gerrymandering has led to Republicans controlling both the State Senate and House, and being nearly 300% over-represented in the U.S. House of Representatives!
The 2020 election offers NC Democrats their best chance yet to reclaim the state legislature. Momentum is on our side: in 2018, NC Democrats broke Republican supermajorities in both chambers. This is our last chance to change things! Whoever is elected in 2020 will redraw district lines for the next ten years.
North Carolina is the only state on the map that could give us a QUADRUPLE win! We’re going for its 15 electoral votes, U.S. Senate seat, and state legislature flip. We’re also defending Governor Roy Cooper.
We Need You To Call North Carolina
One call advances 3 races: Biden, Cunningham and Cooper! All events include training.
- Sundays, 1:00 – 3:30pm Pacific (with Swing Left Peninsula) RSVP Here
- Tuesdays, 11:00am – 1:30pm Pacific (with the NC Dems) RSVP Here
- Wednesdays, 2:00 – 4:30pm Pacific (with the NC Dems) RSVP Here
- Thursdays, 4:00 – 6:00pm Pacific (with the Dem Vol Ctr) RSVP Here
- Saturdays, 1:00 – 3:00pm Pacific (with the Dem Vol Ctr) RSVP Here
New: Text North Carolina
Every Wednesday, 2:00 – 4:00pm Pacific, with the NC Democratic Party
Out-of-state volunteer text bank (with training) for Biden, Cunningham & Cooper. RSVP Here
Increase voter turnout by preparing letters for the BIG SEND!
Patriotic volunteers nationwide have completed over 3.6 million letters for Vote Forward’s “Big Send” campaign. We at Swing Left Peninsula have distributed over 175,000 letters since May 1st. Help us reach our goal of distributing 200,000!
If you want to help, email us at email@example.com or click here for our pick up and delivery options in several Peninsula cities. Click here if you’d like to download and print letters yourself. Click here to sign up for a Zoom Letter Party, where you can chat with other volunteers while you write!
Since you asked…
Is the October 27th mailing date too late? Is one week enough?
Many of our letter writers are asking if the letters should be mailed earlier than planned. Vote Forward is likely to move the date up (view the details here). We will provide updates as we learn more.
We have a Veep! Co-host Mariah shares her experience working with Senator Harris and what she brings to the ticket. Then Héctor Sánchez Barba, Executive Director and CEO of Mi Familia Vota, talks about how we can join together across racial differences to protect our right to vote, our census, and achieve economic fairness. Tune in
Local Event Calendar and Texting Help!
Our local DVC (Democratic Volunteer Center) maintains a fantastic calendar of events with phone banks, candidate fora, and more. Also, learn how to start TEXTING with the DVC’s Getting Started Guide, or get texting help and sign up for a weekly summary of current texting campaigns on several platforms at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Peninsula Democratic Coalition Annual (Virtual) Picnic
Sun, Aug 23rd, 11:00am
Join the PDC’s major fundraiser to support Democratic candidates across the country, focusing this year on flipping the U.S. Senate. Enjoy a keynote conversation between Dan Pfeiffer (Pod Save America) and our very own Assembly Member Marc Berman. Other speakers include Senate candidates Teresa Greenfield (IA); Jon Ossoff (GA); Cal Cunningham (NC); Jaime Harrison (SC) and more. RSVP Here
Flip the Senate: Call for the Top Priority Race of the Week
Mon, Aug 24th, 3:00-5:00pm (and every Monday)
Every week we’ll receive notice from the DSCC as to which of the flippable U.S. Senate races is in need of the most support at that time. This is based on polling data, fundraising, and advertising spend, and we want to make sure we can provide as much support as possible at the right time. Hosted by Swing Left Peninsula and CA-Dems. Training provided. RSVP here.
Fundraiser for TJ Cox
Wed, Sep 2nd, 5:30-6:30pm
Join House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer and CA Congresswoman Jackie Speier. TJ is in a very tight race and needs every dollar we can send! RSVP here (donations start at $100)
Phone (and Text) Bank for TJ and Josh:
- TJ Cox in CA-21: RSVP here for Phone and Text Banking and Trainings.
- Josh Harder in CA-10 (Mondays and Thursdays at 5:00 – 6:30pm): Training begins promptly at 5:00pm for new phone bankers. RSVP here.
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.