Best Bets: Phoning & Writing
This quote inspires our work, the essential tasks of phoning and writing voters…
We take nothing about the future for granted, but we see the power you’re building in rural, urban, suburban, exurban communities. In red, blue, and purple states we see this grassroots force is relentless, unyielding, and growing. And while the unending onslaught of natural catastrophe and Trump-manufactured disaster may seem destined to define 2020 — we believe 2020 will ultimately be defined by you and this nationwide movement of grassroots activists standing together, indivisible, in their own communities. Together we will win.
– Ezra and Leah, Indivisible Co-Founders and Co-Executive Directors (July, 2020 Indivisible Newsletter)
Your help is critical. Read on for details…
- Don’t Fear the Phone
- Phone Our Focus States: AZ & NC
- GOTV Letters: Join the BIG PRINT for a BIGGER SEND!
- Swing Left Podcast : Democracy in One Pod or Less
- Partner Organization Activities
Let’s face it, most of us don’t love phone banking. But it’s a great time to try (or retry) this crucial activity. More people are answering their phones than in previous years. They’re bored at home, increasingly worried about our country, and ready to talk! Since door knocking may be off the table in 2020, we all need to get over our fear of phone banking. Try one of these classes to build your confidence and then jump into one or more of our strategic NC and AZ phone banks below! Both classes are sponsored by Swing Left San Francisco.
Phone Bank Training for Introverts (and Friends)
Sun, July 26th, 10:00am Get over your initial fear of phone banking! RSVP Here
Spanish for Phone Banking
Tues, July 7th and 14th, 7:00pm Two-part class for those who already know some Spanish. RSVP here
From now til November, we’ll be calling into two of the most flippable states on the 2020 map: North Carolina and Arizona. Calling voters is a key way to get them to the polls and to ensure we win the combined prizes of these two states: 26 crucial electoral votes; two U.S. Senate seats; and two of the most flippable state legislatures in the country. Dem-controlled state legislatures would roll back Republican gerrymandering and set up these important states for a decade of progressive wins!
North Carolina Phone Banks: Every Sunday
What’s at Stake and Who We’re Calling For…
Every Sunday, 1:00 – 3:00pm Pacific, starting July 12th
We’re calling for:
- U.S. Senate Candidate Cal Cunningham
- Governor Roy Cooper
Co-sponsored by Swing Left Peninsula, Pod Save America & Democracy Action
Arizona Phone Banks: Every Wednesday
What’s at Stake and Who We’re Calling For…
Every Wednesday, 3:00 – 5:00pm Pacific, staring July 15th
We’re calling for:
- U.S. Senate Candidate Mark Kelly
- AZ State Senate Candidates: Felicia French (LD6/Flagstaff) and Ajlan Kurdoglu (LD17/Phoenix)
- AZ State House Candidates: Coral Evans (LD6/Flagstaff) and Jennifer Pawlik (LD17/Phoenix)
Co-sponsored by Swing Left Peninsula and Democracy Action
More winning actions for AZ:
- View a previous zoom video to hear from two of our amazing state legislature candidates: Jennifer Pawlik (LD-17/Phoenix) and Mayor Coral Evans (LD-6/Flagstaff). View here.
- Phone bank on your own time for the state legislature candidates in the four strategic districts we need to win to ensure the AZ state legislature flips! RSVP here.
GOTV Letters To Mail!
We have distributed 100,000 Get-Out-The-Vote letters since May 1st, thanks to a great Swing Left Peninsula community! We’re ready to print 100,000 more.
We need more letter captains, people who will:
- Reach out to friends and family and ask how many letters they want to personalize (If you are new to this, checkout a sample email here for background and a GOTV letter here.)
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org and arrange to get the letters.
- Distribute the letters and make sure they are filled in and then mailed in October.
Why? These letters, part of Vote Forward’s “Big Send” of ten million letters, encourage under-represented groups of Democratic-leaning voters to go to the polls. We’re writing them now so we can make calls, send texts, and canvass (if we can) in October, just three months from now.
Want to write letters?
- Attend a Zoom letter Party: It’s really motivating to chat with other activists while you write!
- Every Tuesday and Saturday, 4-5 pm, with Mary (RSVP here) (formerly in person at the Foster City Starbucks)
- Every Thursday, 6-7 pm, with Mariya (RSVP here) (formerly in person in Mountain View)
- Every Saturday, 2-4 pm, with Sue and Melissa (RSVP here) (formerly in person in Palo Alto)
- Host your own zoom letter party. See Swing Left’s resources here.
- Pick up or get letters delivered: Click here for our pick up & delivery options in several Peninsula cities.
- Write letters on your own at home: Why not set a time each week to complete 20 letters? It takes about an hour. Click here to learn how to get started with downloading and printing letters.
Former Obama speechwriter and best selling author, David Litt just wrote, “Democracy in One Book or Less: How It Works, Why It Doesn’t, and Why Fixing It Is Easier Than You Think“. In just a few minutes of listening to this podcast, you learn how to fix Democracy!
Local Event Calendar and Texting Help!
Our local DVC (Democratic Volunteer Center) maintains a fantastic calendar of events with phone and text banks, candidate fora, and more. Also, learn how to start TEXTING with the DVC’s Getting Started Guide, or get texting help and sign up for a weekly summary of current texting campaigns on several platforms at email@example.com.
Flip the AZ State Legislature:
Meet Two Teachers Turned Candidates
Wed, July 8th, 6:00pm (with AZ Dems Legislative Campaign Committee and Swing Left Maricopa County)
Hear from two candidates who are key to flipping Arizona’s state legislature, Judy Schwiebert (LD-20) and Christine Marsh (LD-28). By helping elect these two former teachers, we can ensure Dems take back the state legislature and stop Republican gerrymandering. Arizona is one of the most competitive state legislatures in the country; we only need to flip 3 state senate seats and 2 state house seats. RSVP Here
Reclaim Our Vote 2020 Series: Voting in Troubled Times
COVID-19 and the 2020 Elections
Thurs, July 9th, 5:00 – 6:00pm (with Center for Common Ground)
This is a free, two-day webinar that tackles what must be done to sustain momentum toward fair elections despite the uncertainties caused by the pandemic. We believe that now, when things are so difficult and uncertain, is when we must build unity toward one essential goal – a fair and free election. RSVP Here
Political Communications Expert Anat Shenker-Osorio
Sun, July 12th, 3:00pm (with Swing Left East Bay)
Anat Shenker-Osorio is a renowned communications researcher and campaign advisor, and the host of the podcast Words to Win By. From electing the dynamic Jacinda Ardern as Prime Minister of New Zealand, to repealing a national ban on abortion in Ireland, to beating back right-wing race baiting in Minnesota, Shenker-Osorio will explore what made it possible to engage the base, persuade the middle, send the naysayers packing, and win. Her insights will help you to be more effective when communicating with voters. RSVP Here
@Home Political Salon Series
State of the Senate 2020, with Senator Catherine Cortez Masto
Wed, July 15th, 4:30pm
Senator Cortez Masto is the Chairwoman of the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee (DSCC). She and a DSCC pollster will give the inside scoop on the most flippable seats this November. RSVP here
Virtual Screening of “Rigged: The Voter Suppression Playbook”
Plus Q&A with Rigged producer Tim Smith & Sister District ED, Rita Bosworth
Thurs, July 16th, 7:00 – 9:00pm (with Swing Left Marin and Sister District Marin)
Narrated by Jeffrey Wright, this film tracks a systematic, decade-long effort to suppress votes and reverse the growing demographic tide of new, young, and non-white voters. It details a variety of tactics, ranging from the purging of voting rolls and passing of new, restrictive voter ID laws to gerrymandering and voter intimidation. Hear from Republican strategists detailing how the game was played as well as leading voting rights advocates, law professors, demographers and Democratic strategists. RSVP Here
Training to Win 2020
Save the Date: Sat, Aug 1st, 10:00am – 1:00pm
Training to Win 2020 is focused on helping Democratic activists navigate challenges in traditional grassroots and field organizing that have arisen due to the pandemic.
Join this Joint Virtual Training Conference to Kick Off the Final 100 Days!
Partner phone/text banks:
Flip the West: Flip the Senate
- Flippable Senate seats in six Western states: Five days a week! Mon, Tues, Thurs: 4:00 – 6:00pm; Wed: 3:00 – 5:00pm; Sat, 10:00 – 12:00pm Register here
- Arizona Vote By Mail Persuasion: Thursdays, 4:00 – 6:00pm Register here
- Weekly Phone Bank Training: Tuesdays 9:00 – 10:00am or 5:00 – 6:00pm Sign Up here
Call and Text for Joe Biden
Phone Bank for TJ and Josh:
- TJ Cox in CA-21 (Weekdays, 5:00 – 8:00pm): RSVP here for Phone Banking and Trainings.
- Josh Harder in CA-10 (Mondays to Thursdays at 5:00 – 5:30pm): Trainings four nights a week. RSVP here.
Follow us on Twitter (@SwingLeftPen) or join our Facebook group for updates on our latest events, actions and swing district news.
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.