As promised, we’re launching new forms of our weekly activism emails to you. This week’s pared-down newsletter has one critically important action item — can you hear that Doomsday Clock ticking? And if you have a little more time — as the House delivers Articles of Impeachment against the High-Criminal-in-Chief, tell our Senators: do everything you can to make sure the Senate conducts an open and fair trial. Here’s their contact info.
Deadline: right now – In government you can make pretty speeches, but often what really matters is when Congress says how much money they will allocate for what. The 2020 National Defense Authorizations Act (NDAA) allocates a LOT of money for further development of nuclear weapons and delivery systems — and Senator Feinstein voted for it. Her record on nuclear weapons is generally good, in this administration and before — even noting Congress’s role to prevent acquiring or developing nuclear weapons the country “doesn’t need.” We’re concerned that now she may be listening to those urging her in the other direction. It’s up to US: tell her you’re worried she voted for the 2020 NDAA, and you want her to stand firm against further funding for or approval of nuclear development. Read our article for more information and background.
Contact Sen. Feinstein: 202-224-3841 / email
Please call and keep calling until you get through. Phones ringing off the hook have an impact that full inboxes can’t match. Better yet, call first and follow up with an email!
What to say:
My name is ___, my zip code is ___, and I’m a member of Indivisible East Bay. I want to thank Senator Feinstein for standing up against increasing nuclear weapons development in the past. But I’m worried about her vote for the 2020 NDAA because it mandates more spending on nuclear weapons components and delivery systems. I want Senator Feinstein to stand firm against further nuclear funding or development.
Sunday, January 26, 1-3 PM: We can’t wait to tell you about Arizona and what we can all do to help flip that purple state blue! Donald Lathbury, strategist for Flip the West will give us the lowdown on how we can get it done — with your help! You’ll hear from IEBers who canvassed in Phoenix parking lots to register voters. All our usual breakouts plus IEB anniversary cake! Join us at Sports Basement, Berkeley — Info & RSVP
State and Local News
IEB went to AZ!
Alissa, Ted and Andrea just flew back from Yuma, and are their arms tired! Stay tuned for next week’s newsletter — more puns and an inspiring report about their incredible canvassing experiences. Big thanks to Flip the West, Field Team 6, AZ Blue 2020 and friends for coordinating a fan-cactus time!
Hear Reclaim Our Vote’s Founder in Dublin or Berkeley
Remember the 100K+ postcards we wrote to flip VA last year? Here’s your chance to hear Reclaim Our Vote founder Andrea Miller speak in Dublin or Berkeley! She’ll give a rundown of ROV’s ’19 successes and how we can help swing states in ’20. Your purchase of tickets supports ROV’s work, but no one will be turned away for lack of funds (see each RSVP page for details). Join us at the IBEW Union Hall in Dublin on Thurs. Jan. 30, or at the Berkeley City College Auditorium (new location!) on Tues. Feb. 4. All info, and donate or get tickets for Dublin here, or for Berkeley here,
Your donations to IEB support our actions against the Evil Empire but do not go to candidate-related events.
- Jan. 19, 1-4 PM: Phonebank for AZ, in El Cerrito. Info & RSVP.
- Jan. 26, 1-3 PM: All Members Meeting at Sports Basement, Berkeley. Info & RSVP.
- Feb. 4, 6-8 PM: Reclaim Our Vote fundraiser, with ROV founder Andrea Miller. In Berkeley. Info & RSVP.
OTHER EVENTS (see section below for links to election activities & events):
IEB doesn’t necessarily endorse the groups, events, or candidates included here. Submit calendar events to email@example.com
- Indivisible National’s live-streamed interviews with 2020 Democratic candidates: watch recordings at this link. More info here.
- EVERY TUESDAY, 4:30-5:30 PM: Resistance Rally by Grand Lake Theater, Oakland
- EVERY THURSDAY, 5-6 PM: Table with Indivisible Resistance Action East Bay at Rockridge BART.
- Jan. 18: Women’s March 2020! In Oakland info & register. In Contra Costa (Walnut Creek) info & register.
- Jan. 21, 6-9 PM: Citizen’s Climate Lobby: Climate Restoration & Activism Fair, in Berkeley. $10-$15. Info & register.
- Jan. 23, 6:30-8 PM: Impeachment Town Hall with Reps. DeSaulnier & Mike Thompson (CA-5), in Martinez. Info & RSVP.
- Jan. 30, 7-8:30 PM: Reclaim Our Vote Info Session & Fundraiser, with Andrea Miller. In Dublin. Info & register.
- Jan. 31: Deadline for open enrollment in a Covered California health plan that begins Feb. 1, 2020. Note, deadline may not apply if you have a specific qualifying event – FAQs here.
Election Activities & Events!
Check out phone & text banks, and much more, hosted by these great groups IEB works with:
- Democracy Action’s calendar (search by location)
- East Bay Activist Alliance phone & text banks, more. See list & RSVP here
- Flip the West: postcarding, voter registration, and more, listed here
- Indivisible Berkeley phone & text banks
- Indivisible National phonebank: call voters in key areas to urge their Senators to ensure a fair impeachment trial in Senate.
- Indivisible SF: phone banks, more.
- NorCal Blue’s events calendar.
- Swing Left East Bay phone banks, canvassing, more. See list here.
- West County Organizing: phone & text banks to elect/re-elect Democrats in the House & Senate, in El Sobrante. Events links here. For more info email Nancy.
- Working America Central Valley canvasses. Sign up here.
We Could Not Make This Up
Last week, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences and the U.S. Congress both unveiled their #whitemalespecials. Rep. Jim Banks said Rep. Ilhan Omar’s claim of PTSD from her wartime childhood in Somalia was “offensive to our nation’s veterans who really do have PTSD” — then had his staffers try to walk it back. No, bro. Then Rep. Doug Collins said Dems who criticize the illegal bombing of Iran are “in love with terrorists”; he musta forgot Rep. Tammy Duckworth, who knocked him down with one comment. Then the big Oscars nominations reveal … the awards will go to … mostly white men making movies about manly men doing manly things.
Fired up to do more? Give us a shout!
- Volunteer with IEB or find out how we work: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Donate – keep the momentum going!
- Questions/comments about IEB: email@example.com
- Don’t miss an issue: subscribe to this newsletter!
- Questions/comments on the newsletter: firstname.lastname@example.org
IEB uses Slack, a chat system for talking about important issues, planning events, and team discussions. Want an invite to join Slack? Please drop us a line at email@example.com. Already on Slack? Feel free to contact our team leads:
- CA Senators: @ameliacass, @linh
- CA-11, Rep. DeSaulnier: @Kristen L, @Ted Lam
- CA-13, Rep. Lee: @linh
- CA-15, Rep. Swalwell: @ward
- Newsletter: @anngdan, @heidirand
- Volunteers: @andrea
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.