Welcome 2020 — how long we’ve waited! Your newsletter editrixes heard lots of peoples’ resolutions to get more politically active this year, and we resolve to help … From now to Election Day we’ll share many ways you can be active: some weeks, our regular newsletters will continue to bring you action items on national, state & local issues where we can make a difference, while on other weeks you can expect election-oriented emails and other, targeted pieces.
For this week, here are three voting-related actions:
- Tell our MoCs – Vote against War in Iran
- Get ready to vote in the CA Primary
- A to Z, help Arizona Vote Blue!
Deadline: ASAP! – The Aggressor-in-Chief rang in 2020 in his special way, by attacking Iran. He had neither Congressional authorization nor evidence for his claim of imminent threat, as the Constitution and War Powers Act require. No shock, Iran swiftly retaliated. While Trump postures, it’s up to Congress to keep us out of war — a war which, terrifyingly, many Americans seem to want. Pick up your phones NOW and ask our Members of Congress to support legislation to prevent unauthorized war. Read our article for more info and customized call scripts. Please especially call Sen. Feinstein, (415) 393-0707; DC: (202) 224-3841 (call the DC number if you can) — her office tells us calls are hugely pro-war, and she’s our only MoC who hasn’t spoken out against Trump’s warmongering!
What to say:
My name is ___, my zip code is ______, and I’m a member of Indivisible East Bay. I do NOT want the US to go to war with Iran. I would like Senator Feinstein to speak out against Trump’s unauthorized military aggression, and I hope she’ll do everything possible to prevent war with Iran and ban the use of funds for unauthorized war. Please support Senator Kaine’s War Powers Resolution and AUMF amendment, and Senator Sanders’s anti-funding resolution.
Action #2: Blue is a Primary color. Vote.
Deadline: Now and ongoing – It’s finally 2020 — time for the Blue Tsunami! The CA Presidential Primary is Tuesday, March 3, 2020, and you need to be ready. Double-check that your voter registration is accurate — and are you sure you and your friends will be able to vote for the candidate of your choice in the primary? Are all your eligible family and friends registered? Do you want to vote by mail? Our article has the important facts and deadlines you need: read it, bookmark it, pass it around!
Action #3: Flipping Arizona from A to Z
Deadline: Many! – Have you heard IEB is busy Raising Arizona…voters? With our official partners Flip the West, we’re ready to flip Independent voters (one-third of all registered AZ voters) blue! Building off the ’18 Blue Wave, FtW’s strategy is to support grassroots groups embedded in winnable Western states. AZ is first up, with their key primary in early March, so take the 3:10 train to our first phone bank on Jan. 19 in El Cerrito! Read our article to find out what else Yuma can do to help!
January 26, 2020, 1-3 PM: Get that New Year’s resistance resolution checked off by joining us at our January 2020 (!!) All Members Meeting! Updates on how we’re reclaiming Democracy (yep, with a big D) and our 2020 plans. At Sports Basement, Berkeley. Info & RSVP.
State and Local News
Remember those postcards we wrote last year (over 1K!) for VA? Now’s your chance to hear Reclaim Our Vote’s founder Andrea Miller speak in Berkeley. She’ll give a rundown of ROV’s ’19 successes and how we can help swing states in ’20. Your purchase of a ticket helps ROV, but noone will be turned away for lack of funds (email your request). Join us at the Marsh Theater on Tues. Feb. 4, 6-8 PM. More info, and donate or purchase tickets here.
Your donations to IEB support our actions against the Evil Empire but do not go to candidate-related events.
- Jan. 13, 6:45-8:45 PM: Popcorn & Postcarding, in Oakland. Info & RSVP.
- Jan. 15, 7-8:30 PM: CA-11 Team meeting, in El Cerrito. Info & RSVP.
- Jan. 19, 1-4 PM: Phonebank for AZ, in El Cerrito. Info & RSVP.
- Jan. 26, 1-3 PM: All Members Meeting at Sports Basement, Berkeley. Info & RSVP.
- Feb. 4, 6-8 PM: Reclaim Our Vote fundraiser, with ROV founder Andrea Miller. In Berkeley. Info & RSVP.
OTHER EVENTS (see section below with links to phone banks & much more):
IEB doesn’t necessarily endorse the groups, events, or candidates included here. Submit calendar events to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Indivisible National’s live-streamed interviews with 2020 Democratic candidates: watch recordings at this link. More info here.
- EVERY TUESDAY, 4:30-5:30 PM: Resistance Rally by Grand Lake Theater, Oakland
- EVERY THURSDAY, 5-6 PM: Table with Indivisible Resistance Action East Bay at Rockridge BART.
- Jan. 9, 5 PM: No War With Iran day of action. Find local actions & RSVP at this link.
- Jan. 14, 4-8 PM: DemAction Debate Watch Party, Everett & Jones, Oakland. Info & register.
- Jan. 18, 10 AM-4 PM: Women’s March Oakland. Info & register.
- Jan. 21, 6-9 PM: Citizen’s Climate Lobby: Climate Restoration & Activism Fair, in Berkeley. $10-$15. Info & register.
- Jan. 31: Deadline for open enrollment in a Covered California health plan that begins Feb. 1, 2020. Note, deadline may not apply if you have a specific qualifying event – FAQs here.
Phone! Canvass! More!
Check out phone & text banks, and much more, hosted by these great groups IEB works with:
- Democracy Action’s calendar (search by location)
- East Bay Activist Alliance phone & text banks, more. See list & RSVP here
- Flip the West: postcarding, voter registration, and more, listed here
- Indivisible Berkeley phone & text banks
- Indivisible National phonebank: call voters in key areas to urge their Senators to ensure a fair impeachment trial in Senate.
- Indivisible SF: phone banks, more.
- NorCal Blue’s events calendar.
- Swing Left East Bay phone banks, canvassing, more. See list here.
- West County Organizing: phone & text banks for state & special elections, in El Sobrante. Email Nancy for schedule & to RSVP
- Working America Central Valley canvasses. Sign up here.
Happy New Year!
RBG is cancer-free!
Fired up to do more? Give us a shout!
- Volunteer with IEB or find out how we work: email@example.com
- Donate – keep the momentum going!
- Questions/comments about IEB: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Don’t miss an issue: subscribe to this newsletter!
- Questions/comments on the newsletter: email@example.com
IEB uses Slack, a chat system for talking about important issues, planning events, and team discussions. Want an invite to join Slack? Please drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org. Already on Slack? Feel free to contact our team leads:
- CA Senators: @ameliacass, @linh
- CA-11, Rep. DeSaulnier: @Kristen L, @Ted Lam
- CA-13, Rep. Lee: @linh
- CA-15, Rep. Swalwell: @ward
- Newsletter: @anngdan, @heidirand
- Volunteers: @andrea
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.