You don’t need us to tell you about this week’s election victories, but doesn’t it feel good to be so happy together? Thanks to all of you who knocked, called, wrote, donated, or did anything else for Team Blue across the country. Without minimizing the importance of any other election, let’s look at one number — voter turnout in Kentucky was 42%, a huge jump over the 31% the Secretary of State predicted just days before. Folks, don’t call the Bluegrass State red. It’s a state with plenty of people just waiting for a chance to vote against the Monster-in-Chief and his House (and Senate) of Horribles. Let’s believe there are a lot more of those states. Let’s do this thing.
Here are some easy, important ways you can fight the Trump regime.
Deadline: 11/13 Day of Action – No, not clickbait — really, John Oliver! Maybe you haven’t read our earlier amazing but wonky articles on why election security is national security and why the Senate needs to sign off on the $600 million authorized to secure our voting machines. But now you can watch John Oliver tell you about it, and be inspired and join the Nov. 13 nationwide Day of Action to tell the Senate we need this money to protect our democracy. Read our article and get out there!
Action #2: Menashi: unfit to sit
Deadline: Right away! – There’s so much bad news about federal Court of Appeals nominee Steven Menashi, we can’t fit it in this little space. The Senate Judiciary Committee just voted to advance him to a vote by the full Senate, though we don’t yet have a date (and predicting the Senate is above our pay grade). Fortunately, Senators Feinstein and Harris have already spoken out about his terrible, horrible, no good, very bad record. Thank them, give them the support they need, and ask them to do all they can to get their colleagues to vote NO — even Sen. Susan Collins is on board, we can win this one! Read our article to find out how.
Action #3: Watching the debaters
Deadline: RSVP now, space limited – Friends don’t let friends watch presidential debates alone! Join IEB’s CA-11 Team on Weds. 11/20, at 5:30 PM in the Scene Room at El Cerrito’s Rialto Cinema, at 10070 San Pablo Ave. as we watch the debate, enjoy refreshments from the theater (not just popcorn!), and discuss the candidates and how to make sure the eventual nominee beats the Villain-in-Chief. Seating is limited, so be sure to RSVP! Check out our article for more info about the event & the CA-11 Team — all are welcome, not just CA-11 residents.
Friday 11/8 meeting with Sen. Harris’s staff
Meeting with staff of our Members of Congress is one of IEB’s superpowers! You can still sign up for our Friday November 8 meeting with Senator Harris’s staff. Let us know you’re coming.
State and Local News
Members of IEB’s CA-15 Team and Livermore Indivisible had a great coffee date with Rep. Eric Swalwell on 11/4. Swalwell is a member of the House Judiciary and Intelligence Committees, both key to impeachment, so they spoke in-depth about the proceedings and next steps, as well as about all of the other work House Democrats are accomplishing. Plus, Swalwell said the 2018 blue wave wouldn’t have happened without Indivisible! Read all about it here.
As October ended, IEB met with Senator Feinstein’s staff to discuss key issues including immigration and blocking spending bills that give money to — or allow the administration to steal money for — harmful immigration enforcement; climate emergency, an especially apt topic as wildfires continued to rage; and of course, impeachment. Read our article for details about these and more, and to see how our calls to our Senators really do make a difference!
We had an excellent model impeachment hearing trial run at October’s AMM, and on Nov. 3 Indivisible San Francisco had a galvanizing organizing meeting. Come join the fun! Use this sign-up sheet if you haven’t already, and we’ll add you to the Google group where we’re writing the script. Target day to record is Sun. Dec. 8. Also, a broad coalition is organizing rapid-response events to demand Congress impeach & remove Trump. Search here for events, or step up to host one! The event date will be set when a House vote on impeachment articles is set, sign up so you’ll be notified when events are called.
Your donations to IEB support our actions against the Evil Empire but do not go to candidate-related events.
- Nov. 8, 2 PM: IEB meeting with Sen. Harris’s staff, sign up here.
- Nov. 18, 6:45-8:45 PM: IEB Popcorn & Postcarding Party, in Oakland. Info & RSVP.
- Nov. 20, 5:30 PM: Debate Watch party & CA-11 team meeting. In El Cerrito. Info & RSVP (space limited).
- Nov. 24, 1-3 PM: IEB All Members Meeting, annual potluck! Sports Basement, Berkeley. RSVP here.
OTHER EVENTS (see section below with links to phone banks & much more):
IEB doesn’t necessarily endorse the groups, events, or candidates included here. Submit calendar events to firstname.lastname@example.org
- EVERY TUESDAY, 4:30-5:30 PM: Resistance Rally by Grand Lake Theater, Oakland
- EVERY THURSDAY, 5-6 PM: Table with Indivisible Resistance Action East Bay at Rockridge BART.
- Nov. 7, 6:30-8 PM: Rep. DeSaulnier 100th Congressional Town Hall, in Concord. RSVP here.
- Nov. 8, 6-7:30 PM: Leah Greenberg & Ezra Levin – We Are Indivisible, at Book Passage, San Francisco. Info & RSVP.
- Nov. 13, 6-8 PM: How to Save the World With Local Politics, with Sen. Skinner & Asm. Wicks, in Berkeley. Info & RSVP here.
- Date TBD: Mass Impeachment Mobilization. Find an event, or host one! Date will be set when a House vote on impeachment articles is scheduled.
Phone! Canvass! More!
Check out phone & text banks, and much more, hosted by these great groups IEB works with:
- Democracy Action’s calendar (search by location)
- East Bay Activist Alliance phone & text banks, more.
- Flip the West: postcarding, voter registration, and more, listed here
- Indivisible Berkeley phone & text banks
- Indivisible SF: phone banks, more.
- NorCal Blue’s events calendar.
- Swing Left East Bay phone banks, canvassing, more. See list here.
- West County Organizing: phone & text banks for state & special elections, in El Sobrante. Tuesdays, 1-3 PM, Saturdays, 11 AM-1 PM. Email Nancy for schedule & to RSVP
- Working America Central Valley canvasses. Sign up here.
We Could Not Make This Up
Is the world coming to an end? Maybe future former Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin won’t concede because Trump predicted at a rally that if Bevin lost “they’re going to say Trump suffered the greatest defeat in the history of the world…” (Oops, looks like Bevin lost the county where that rally was held …) Meanwhile, is someone available to give a Tech 101 lesson? Former special representative for Ukraine Kurt Volker has been texting from his personal phone because “the password on the government phone always seemed to drop, and I couldn’t get into it.” And speaking of technology, WTAF Florida? Citrus County, your board of commissioners did not just say libraries can’t buy digital subscriptions to the NY Times because it’s fake news and they like Trump … Yes, they did, and somewhere out there, LeVar Burton is weeping.
Fired up to do more? Give us a shout!
- Volunteer with IEB or find out how we work: email@example.com
- Donate – keep the momentum going!
- Questions/comments about IEB: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Don’t miss an issue: subscribe to this newsletter!
- Questions/comments on the newsletter: email@example.com
IEB uses Slack, a chat system for talking about important issues, planning events, and team discussions. Want an invite to join Slack? Please drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org. Already on Slack? Feel free to contact our team leads:
- CA Senators: @ameliacass, @linh
- CA-11, Rep. DeSaulnier: @Kristen L, @Ted Lam
- CA-13, Rep. Lee: @linh
- CA-15, Rep. Swalwell: @ward
- IEB Governance: @gmc
- Newsletter: @anngdan, @heidirand
- Outreach: @ntrav
- Volunteers: @andrea
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.