Tennessee, a state with some of the most lenient gun laws in the nation, experienced the horrors of a school shooting on March 27. Three days later, protesters marched onto the Tennessee State Capitol grounds and demanded gun reform. Democratic Representatives Gloria Johnson, Justin Jones, and Justin J. Pearson were part of that march and took their protest inside the House chamber chanting, “No action, no peace.” Instead of applauding and joining their call to stop gun violence, the Republican-led legislature called for their expulsion. Nicknamed the Tennessee Three – these outspoken defenders of democracy brought national attention to the hypocrisy and racism of the Tennessee Republican-led legislature and inspired a new wave of activism in the state.
Gloria will be joined by another fearless Tennessee activist, Jennifer Watson (President of the National Women’s Political Caucus – Tennessee).
Join in for a conversation with two women who are standing up for democracy. As Gloria says, “You have to stand up and speak up.”
Raise Your Hand, A Public Education Forum
Chesterfield Technical Center, 13900 Hull Street Road, Midlothian, VA 23112
Join to learn more about:
- Anti LGBTQ+ and DEI Rhetoric, Legislation and Student/Staff Mental Health
- Safety, Gun Violence, and Student/Staff Mental Health
- Censorship, Book Banning, and the Effect on Student Learning
- Corporate Career and Technical Education
- Charter Schools, Lab Schools, Educational Vouchers, Tax Credits, and Critical Education Funding
- Misinformation, Astroturfing, and Dark Money
Register here for $20!
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.