Get out the vote in Wisconsin, support East Palestine, teach African-American history, and more!
Contact all members of Congress:
- By phone: (202) 224-3121
- By email: democracy.io
- By US mail: Representatives / Senators
- By fax: Representatives / Senators
- By Resistbot: Resist.bot
Contact White House or other federal agencies:
- GET OUT THE VOTE FOR THE WISCONSIN SUPREME COURT
The all-party primary for a swing seat on the Wisconsin Supreme Court is this Tuesday, and the campaigns are in full get-out-the-vote mode. Conservative groups are making a massive effort to win this seat, with right-wing superdonor Richard Uihlein’s Fair Courts America putting $1.6 million into ad spending alone. Let’s sign up for a phone-banking shift and help the Wisconsin Democrats fight back and get out the vote this weekend.
- SUPPORT EAST PALESTINE AND CALL FOR CHANGE
In the aftermath of the train derailments in East Palestine, Ohio and elsewhere, renewed attention has been focused on the Trump Administration’s withdrawal of a safety rule requiring update braking systems on trains carrying hazardous materials. The cost-benefit analysis used by Trump to kill that protection has been discredited, and even at the time Senator Jeff Merkley led calls for the cost-benefit analysis to be redone and the rule restored. It has not been, either under Trump or Biden. Let’s contact Secretary Buttigieg and the Department of Transportation and tell them to do a new cost-benefit analysis and push forward a new safety rule to protect us from future disasters like this one. (And let’s also check out this list of opportunities to directly support folks in East Palestine from More Perfect Union).
- TEACH ACCURATE AFRICAN-AMERICAN HISTORY While the College Board appears to think their claim that changes to the AP African-American Studies curriculum had nothing to do with objections leveled by Florida’s Department of Education is credible, the lengthy exchanges between these two, beginning in January 2022, belies the College Board’s assertion. As this Florida document makes clear, the DOE wanted 19 changes to the AP course, including the elimination of vital current topics like intersectionality, incarceration, reparations, and the Black Lives Matter movement; now, they want more revision. We need to urge the College Board not to capitulate — at all but certainly not further — to Florida’s demands, but rather to offer an intellectually responsible and historically complete curriculum in African-American Studies.
- TELL THE TIMES TO DO BETTER ON TRANS ISSUES
Leading voices in journalism have written an open letter to the New York Times criticizing their failures in reporting on trans people, and called for them to enforce their standards on ensuring fair coverage without pseudoscience or sensationalism and with full context about the agenda of their anti-trans sources. The letter is led by New York Times journalists and contributors, but readers and subscribers are encouraged to sign, too, and more than 20,000 already have. Let’s read the letter, share it, and add our names to the call for fair and unbiased coverage of the trans community.
- GET A JOB ORGANIZING THE MIDWEST
The Civics Center, whose mission is to get every high school student registered to vote, is looking to hire a Midwest organizing director ahead of the 2024 election. The organizing director will work “with partner organizations, students, educators, parents, policy makers, volunteers, and donors to create the infrastructure for high school voter registration.” Let’s spread the word, or even consider applying ourselves!
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.