Defund the FBI! Attack law enforcement officials. What happened to the party claiming to be for Law and Order?
Republicans used to be the party of “law and order”. They now show their indifference to law enforcement and contempt for those who enforce laws against their political allies.
Law and order. Respect for the police. Reverence for the impartial administration of justice. Enforcement of the law against the rich and poor, the powerful and the powerless. These are the attributes of a constitutional democracy. That’s not what Republicans want these days. They pine for a strongman who can wield the power of the state against the MAGA base’s political foes and who would deploy the police to coddle and even harbor white supremacists. In other words, they want a tin-pot dictatorship, not a constitutional system that may enforce the law against them and their MAGA tribe. – Washington Post
Judge for yourself with this infographic that contrasts what Republican leader said in the past to what the GOP stands for today.
The Lawless Disorderly Party
“Defund the FBI!”: Republicans’ pro-police rhetoric goes out the window after feds raid Trump
Republican Trump allies on Monday called to “defund” or dismantle the FBI after agents executed a search warrant at former President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago residence. The FBI searched executed a search warrant at Trump’s Palm Beach resort, even opening the former president’s office safe, according to Trump and media reports. The search was related to 15 boxes of White House materials, some of which were classified, that were seized from Mar-a-Lago earlier this year”.
Kevin McCarthy lashes out after Trump raid, vows to target Merrick Garland if GOP win midterms. Other Trump allies, many of whom echoed and cheered his “lock her up” calls aimed at Hillary Clinton while touting their support for law enforcement, went even further, calling to destroy the FBI entirely. “DEFUND THE FBI!” Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, R-Ga., declared on Twitter. – Salon
Then: Law and Order
- Pres. George W. Bush: “I am appalled by the reckless behavior of some political leaders since the election and by the lack of respect shown today for our institutions, our traditions, and our law enforcement. The violent assault on the Capitol — and disruption of a Constitutionally mandated meeting of Congress — was undertaken by people whose passions have been inflamed by falsehoods and false hopes.” – VOA
- Senator McCain – He railed against the “half-baked, spurious nationalism cooked up by people who would rather find scapegoats than solve problems”. America, he wrote, now feared the world it had once led and was abandoning the ideals it had advanced around the globe. – The National
- Pres. Ronald Reagan: Against a backdrop of the Berlin Wall in 1987, Reagan said: “General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!” – Reagan
Now: Lawless and Disorderly
- Losers & suckers: “Trump canceled a visit to pay respects at an American military cemetery outside Paris in 2018 because he thought the dead soldiers were “losers” and “suckers” and he did not want the rain to mess up his hair.” – The Guardian
- Donald Trump: According to the intelligence community , Putin’s cyber operation during the presidential election undercut Hillary Clinton’s prospect of winning; and sowed doubt about the election process as a whole. Why undermine public confidence in the election results? Perhaps there were even more nefarious reasons having to do with financial and other ties to Russia, and thus continuing to act in line with Moscow’s own interests. – Newsweek
- Josh Hawley: Sen. Josh Hawley is being branded a traitor for his clinched-fist salute to President Donald Trump ‘s supporters before they stormed the U.S. Capitol Building. Hawley was the first U.S. senator who said he would join a group of House Republicans to object to Electoral College results in key swing states when rioters ransacked the Capitol for several hours. – Daily Mail. “Garland must resign or be impeached. The search warrant must be published. Christoper Wray must be removed. And the FBI reformed top to bottom.” – Twitter
- Ron DeSantis: DeSantis (R) denounced the FBI for its search of former President Trump’s Mar-a-Lago property during a rally in Arizona. The FBI searched the Mar-a-Lago estate last week in connection with its investigation into whether Trump violated the Espionage Act, unlawfully concealed or removed public records or obstructed an investigation. – The Hill
- Rick Scott: The @FBI’s raid of Mar-a-Lago is incredibly concerning, especially given the Biden admin’s history of going after parents & other political opponents. – Twitter
- Kevin McCarthy: House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif. 23) demanded that Attorney General Garland “preserve” his “documents” for an investigation should “Republicans take back the House.” – Law and Crime
- Marco Rubio: Rubio in 2016 said that Trump couldn’t be trusted with the nuclear codes. He now defended Trump and criticized the FBI. Rep. Val Demings said that Rubio threw law enforcement under the bus for “political gain” and says his rhetoric comparing the U.S. to third world dictatorships is “dangerous.” – Democratic Underground
Exposing the GOP hypocrisy
This infographic was designed with the StoryMaps app. It is interactive so readers can slide the images to see for themselves how far the GOP has fallen and only supporting law enforcement when it serves their interest. The StoryMap can be freely shared and automatically adjusts to the phone, tablet or laptop it is being seen on.
Law enforcement – but only if it helps Republicans
Right-wing authoritarians who praise despots such as Hungary’s Viktor Orban naturally choose as their leader someone who gleefully uproots the rule of law, savages democracy and regards law enforcement as worthwhile only if it acts in their favor. Ever obedient to Trump, McCarthy and his fellow Trump sycophants display the same disdain for impartial justice that the twice-impeached former president does. It is unfathomable that a party that disdains those who defend democracy should be entrusted with power. We know precisely what they will do if they ever control the executive or legislative branch. They aren’t bothering to hide the ball. – Jennifer Rubin, Washington Post
TakeAway: Vote to protect democracy. Vote Democrat.
DISCLAIMER: ALTHOUGH THE DATA FOUND IN THIS BLOG AND INFOGRAPHIC HAS BEEN PRODUCED AND PROCESSED FROM SOURCES BELIEVED TO BE RELIABLE, NO WARRANTY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED CAN BE MADE REGARDING THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, LEGALITY OR RELIABILITY OF ANY SUCH INFORMATION. THIS DISCLAIMER APPLIES TO ANY USES OF THE INFORMATION WHETHER ISOLATED OR AGGREGATE USES THEREOF.
Reposted from Democracy Labs with permission.
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.