The Supreme Court was an honorable institution, till Republicans politicized it into a joke. Cartoons are now the best way to explain how it works.
- How to steal Supreme Court seats and pack them with your nominees
- How to dodge questions during confirmation hearings
- How to ignore legal precedents and do whatever you want
- How to gut Roe v Wade and deny women their rights
- How to give the wealthy the laws they want
- Clarence and Ginny Thomas on the importance of teamwork.
How this guide was created
< iframe class=”wakeletEmbed” width=”100%” height=”760px” src=”https://embed.wakelet.com/wakes/oekdM_cDkhQgntWV3ZlHx/list” style=”border: none” allow=”autoplay”></iframe><!– Please only call https://embed-assets.wakelet.com/wakelet-embed.js once per page –><script src=”https://embed-assets.wakelet.com/wakelet-embed.js” charset=”UTF-8″></script>
“John Roberts, you are allowing the Court to become an “errand boy” for an administration that has little respect for the rule of law.” – wrote James Dannenberg, State Court judge who resigned in protest after serving for 27 years.
- You are doing far more— and far worse– than “calling balls and strikes.”
- You are allowing the Court to become an “errand boy” for an administration that has little respect for the rule of law.
- The Court, under your leadership and with your votes, has wantonly flouted established precedent.
- Your “conservative” majority has cynically undermined basic freedoms by hypocritically weaponizing others.
- The ideas of free speech and religious liberty have been transmogrified to allow officially sanctioned bigotry and discrimination.
- To elevate the grossest forms of political bribery beyond the ability of the federal government or states to rationally regulate it.
- This is radical “legal activism” at its worst.
- The Court become little mt ore than a result-oriented extension of the right wing of the Republican Party, as vetted by the Federalist Society.
- The rationales of “textualism” and “originalism” are mere fig leaves masking right wing political goals.
- The only constitutional freedoms ultimately recognized may soon be limited to those useful to wealthy, Republican, White, straight, Christian, and armed males— and the corporations they control.
- This is wrong. Period.
- This is not America. (Salon)
Cartoons say it best
Cartoon distill an issue into a single image that we easily understand and can smile it. They work regardless of the reader’s age, education or language. I use cartoons from Political Cartoons which was founded by Daryl Cagle. Credit for Homer Simpson image to Matt Groening.
“Ridicule is man’s most potent weapon. It’s irrational. It’s infuriating.” – Saul Alinsky.
Cartoons highlight the Supreme Court’s hypocrisy and need no explanation. Alito pissing on legal precedent to gut Roe v Wade. Or Clarence Thomas asking the public to accept outcomes while his wife Ginny conspires with the Jan 6th insurrectionists to overturn the election results.
TakeAway: Make it easy for more people to see how the Supreme Court has been politicized and how that impacts their lives.
DISCLAIMER: ALTHOUGH THE DATA FOUND IN THIS BLOG AND INFOGRAPHIC HAS BEEN PRODUCED AND PROCESSED FROM SOURCES BELIEVED TO BE RELIABLE, NO WARRANTY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED CAN BE MADE REGARDING THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, LEGALITY OR RELIABILITY OF ANY SUCH INFORMATION. THIS DISCLAIMER APPLIES TO ANY USES OF THE INFORMATION WHETHER ISOLATED OR AGGREGATE USES THEREOF.
Top ten cartoons
Reposted from Democracy Labs with permission.
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.