Marco Rubio voted to put the entire U.S. economy at risk, opposing a bill to prevent a debt default that would cost nearly 6 million jobs and eliminate $15 trillion in household wealth. Rubio also voted against funding for essential government programs Floridians rely on that include hurricane relief, flood insurance, and more.
“Marco Rubio is sending a clear message to Floridians with this vote: scoring political points is more important to him than protecting their finances, jobs, and savings,” said Florida Democratic Party Executive Director Marcus L. Dixon. “Rubio happily voted to grow the national debt and give away tax cuts to corporations and wealthy people that don’t need it. Now when working families across Florida need him, he is passing us the bill to pay for his self-serving political games.”
Rubio’s vote today is another shameful ploy to advance his political agenda that puts Floridians at risk. Rubio previously voted for measures that increased the national debt by trillions of dollars during the Trump administration, and is now refusing to pay the bill for hundreds of billions of dollars in tax cuts for the wealthy he supported in 2017.
Marco Rubio Caught Running Out Of Vote To Fund The Government To Attend A Political Fundraiser
Last night, Marco Rubio was caught on the Senate floor rushing to vote against a critical bill that would prevent a devastating debt default and fund vital programs Floridians rely on. What was Rubio more concerned with than funding the government? Making sure he could get to his political fundraiser for the Virginia governor’s race.
“Marco Rubio rushed to vote against the best interests of Floridians and bring the U.S. closer to a debt default that would cost millions of jobs, and his only concern was getting to his political fundraiser,” said Florida Democratic Party spokesperson Grant Fox.
Rubio was scheduled to appear at a fundraiser for Virginia gubernatorial candidate Glenn Youngkin shortly after voting began. As other Senators started voting, Rubio was seen desperately trying to cast his vote against the bill as soon as possible and then sprinting out of the Senate chamber.
Florida Democratic Party Chair Manny Diaz Pens Herald in Op-Ed Hailing Biden Administration’s Accomplishments Despite GOP Sabotage
On September 27, 2021 the Miami Herald published an op-ed by Florida Democratic Chair Manny Diaz where he extols the Biden administration’s achievements as it relates to boosting vaccinations and getting the American economy back on its feet.
He points out that these accomplishments have come in spite of Republicans, both nationally and at the state level, undermining Biden’s health and economic policies. In the piece he also details the positive impact that President Biden’s American Rescue Plan has had on the nation as a whole as well as on the economies of Miami-Dade and Broward Counties.
- “Republicans have been busy undermining any policy that will help our health and economic recovery. And the effects of their sabotage have been evident with the current delta variant surge we have seen across Florida, a ferocious spike that made August our deadliest month since the beginning of the pandemic and is now causing over 300 deaths per day based on our current seven-day average.”
- “It is also a fact that since COVID’s delta variant exploded, employment gains dropped from an average 703,000 a month to 235,000 in August. Sadly, that derives from the reckless anti-mask and anti-vaccine behavior that Republicans promote, and which leads to more infections, more deaths and, yes, a stunted economic recovery.”
- “It would be one thing if this new and devolved Republican Party simply wasn’t contributing to solutions. But they have gone further than that by unpatriotically sabotaging our recovery through the promotion of remedies such as ivermectin, which the FDA warns against use for COVID treatment.”
- “Just recently, DeSantis stood next to a vaccine denier who falsely claimed the vaccine changes RNA. The governor did not even flinch, much less try to correct the piece of disinformation. It has also been weeks since DeSantis, who spends his time traveling to out-of-state political events, has held an event to promote vaccinations.”
- “Make no mistake, if we do not vaccinate most of our nation’s population soon as President Biden proposes, and Republicans have their way, we will be at the mercy of other variants that will continue to cause an unnecessary loss of lives and suffering. This could eventually lead to another Republican-caused economic downturn.”
To read the full op-ed in the Miami Herald, please click here:
Statement from Florida Democratic Party Chair Manny Diaz on National Voter Registration Day
Today, National Voter Registration Day is being observed across the country, with voter registration events taking place from coast to coast.
In recognition of this important date, Florida Democratic Party Chair Manny Diaz issued the following statement:
“Voting is the very cornerstone of life in a democracy. It is an expression of our deepest values and aspirations. It is each citizen’s personal contribution to building a more prosperous future, and it is a right that must be vigorously defended by all and for all as we strive to grow into an ever more perfect union.
“Today represents a unique opportunity to highlight the vital importance of voting, to stand for each citizen’s right to exercise the right to have his or her voice heard at the ballot box, and to invite those who are newly of age, new citizens or those who have been temporarily disengaged from the process, to join the broader electorate in building a stronger, fairer nation.
“Although in this age of rancor and fear we are seeing more Republican attacks on voting rights than we have in decades, let those of us still committed to our democracy reaffirm our faith in the power of each eligible person casting their ballot to help shape our common destiny. So much is riding on each and every vote these days: justice and fairness in our society, respect for the rights of women and minorities, a more humane immigration system, even the very future of our planet.
“I invite everyone to join a voter registration event today and help make sure our coming election cycles are the most representative and inclusive ever. When we all vote, our nation benefits from the breadth and diversity of the visions that make up today’s America. Let’s celebrate this day by bringing more voters into the process and strengthening our democracy.”
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.