Hello Ventura Indivisians,
March on for Voting Rights Rally this Saturday the 28th from 10-noon!
Ventura County Government Center (Corner of Victoria and Telephone)
Ventura is joining with Washington DC and hundreds of cities across our great nation for the 56th anniversary of MLK’s “March on Washington.” The best way to honor Dr. King’s legacy is to shine light on the For the People Act and the John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act. Hosted by Justice for All Ventura County and they ask that you wear a mask and social distance.
Facebook event page here (share, share, share!): https://www.facebook.com/events/531695618042580
Please help out with the Stop the Recall effort!
Background on who is behind this recall and what policy issues are at stake is available in this informative Recall Guide.
- As a registered California voter should have received your ballot in the mail.
- Vote NO on the recall.
- Mail back your ballot immediately before it gets buried under a stack of papers!
- Make sure you and everyone you love is registered to vote. Register here. Deadline to get your mail-in ballot is Aug. 30
- California citizens on parole are now eligible to vote! (New rules here!)
- Sept. 2 –Stop the Recall Postcard and Pizza Party at Santino’s (you can stay and write if you are vaxxed, masked, and comfortable – or you may pick up a packet, stamps, and a slice or two to write from home).
- And/or join Woman’s March postcard campaign
- Or Activate America (multiple languages available)
Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays Phone Bank to Stop the Recall
Ongoing:Send text messages to stop the Republican recall of Governor Newsom!
- Aug 28 / Sept 4 – VENTURA COUNTY – Take Action: Door to Door Canvass
- Aug 28 / Sept 4 & 11 – SANTA CLARITA – Canvass: Stop the Recall Literature Drops
- Sept 11, 13 & 14 – Online: Canvass – SEIU – Stop the Governor Newsom Recall – Oxnard
- Share and use this toolkit in all your feeds. Sample graphics, text, and tweets included.
- Call, postcard, and email actions to share, along with our constantly updating video collection to share on social media here. Pass them on to your friends and family! (tinyurl.com/CA-Recall-Scam)
- Aug 30, 31 / Sept 6 & 7 – Online: How to get your friends to SAY NO TO THE RECALL Workshop
After your calls to action – more events and resources!
Your Calls to Action:
Tell our state legislators that we want recall election reforms (more info)
Recalls are too easy to start in CA, in fact, every governor since 1960 has faced at least one recall attempt. This one made it to the ballot, with 46 wanna-bes, thanks to an pandemic extension of the signature gathering stage , deep-pocketed GOP donors and well-known promoters, such as Newt Gingrich and Mike Huckabee. The GOP, who pretends to care about fiscal responsibility when it suits them, will be be dinging CA taxpayers to a tune of at least $215 million dollars to run this election, most of which will be incurred on the local level.
Minimal script: I’m calling from [zip code] and I want Assemblymember/Senator [___] to improve CA’s recall laws to discourage expensive and possibly unconstitutional abuse.
- First, change our “simultaneous recall” election model to a “Retention recall” format, where a successful recall is treated in the same way as any other vacancy. In CA, this means that the lieutenant governor would succeed to the office, not an outside candidate.
- Second, require “just cause” for a recall that includes violating the oath of office, official misconduct or malfeasance or similar demonstrable standards. Eight states already do this.
- Third, repeal Elec. Code, § 11381(c) and allow the sitting candidate to include his/her name in the “2nd” question candidates.
- Last, raise the percentage of required signatures from 12%, second lowest of all states, to 25%, similar to AZ, AK, CO, NV, NJ, ND, MN, and MI. Louisiana requires 33.3% and Kansas requires 40%.
Call State Senator Monique Limón (SD-19): SAC (916) 651-4019, SB (805) 965-0862, OX (805)988-1940 email
State Assemblymember Steve Bennett (CA-37): SAC (916) 319-2037, SB (805) 564-1649, VTA (805) 641-3700 email
Share with family and friends, find their rep: findyourrep.legislature.ca.gov.
Tell our Secretary of State that CA’s recall election code is unconstitutional (more info)
Sample email: I’m writing because I’m outraged at the GOP’s abuse of our recall election laws in order to bypass ordinary elections. Not only will taxpayers will be funding this election with $215 million dollars which assuredly have a better use, it will also most likely be found unconstitutional, in not just one, but two ways.
A complaint has already been filed in U.S. District Court for the Central District of California arguing that the state’s recall provision violates the equal protection clause of the U.S. Constitution by allowing sitting governors to be replaced by candidates who have received fewer votes.
The second issue of constitutionality is that CA law (Elec. Code, § 11381(c)) disenfranchises Governor Newsom in particular. “There’s a right to have access to the ballot to be a candidate. Arguably keeping Newsom from being listed violates his constitutional right.” The lawsuit wants a court order either prohibiting the recall election or adding Newsom’s name to the replacement candidate list. Elections officials have already sent millions of ballots ahead of a state deadline.
I agree with the issues and solutions listed in this lawsuit, and I urge you to carefully consider this direction.Contact: Dr. Shirley Weber, Secretary of State, at her email address here.
- Afghanistan falls – Now what? Here.
- The IPCC report is out. Time to make changes. (3) easy actions. Here.
- We are on fire…Tell your representative to push for these 3 climate priorities in the recovery package. Here.
- Seriously. Can we expel Marjorie Taylor Green NOW? Here’s How – Yes on H.Res. 260
- HR 1374 is a tragedy waiting to happen. Tell your senators to throw it back. Here.
- No recess until the Senate passes S.1 and stops partisan gerrymandering. Here.
- This eviction issue is actually a judge issue. Here.
- Time for some Fox-sequences. Report their COVID lies to the FTC. Here.
- Tell your legislators – stay on the job until essential infrastructure and voting bills are passed! Here.
- Clearcut some outdated logging solutions out of the Conservation Corps Act (HR 1162/S487) Here
- “Hello, I’d like to speak to the man behind the curtain.” Let’s talk to Rupert Murdoch. Here
- It’s not just a drought. It’s “aridification.” “YES” on H.R. 4099. Now. Here
Events (if you are going and interested in carpooling, email us and we’ll do our best to hook you up):
EVENTS ARE HAPPENING CRAZY FAST!!! – Our most up-to-date “calendar” has temporarily been moved to HERE.
Ongoing – Online: Send text messages to stop the Republican recall of Governor Newsom!
Aug 26 – Online: Tenant Protections Now! Ventura Campaign Launch
Aug 26 – Online: For the People Phonebank with Common Cause (other dates available)
Aug 26 – Online: PURPLE Virtual Film Screening and Discussion
Aug 27 – Online OR SANTA CRUZ – Teaching the Truth of the California Missions Events
Aug 27 – Online: Text Callifornia Democrats to Stop the Republican Recall
Aug 28 – VENTURA – March On For Voting Rights Rally
Aug 28 – VENTURA COUNTY – Take Action: Door to Door Canvass to Stop the Recall
Aug 28 – SANTA CLARITA – Canvass: Stop the Recall Literature Drops
Aug 29 – (we’re back!) – Free IMMIGRATION LEGAL AID Fair – Volunteers Needed! Every last Sunday of the month we assist residents, alongside immigration lawyers, in filling out paperwork for citizenship, DACA, and green card renewals. Can’t make it? Help fund this event
Aug 29 – Online: Ventura County Take Action: Stop the Recall Phonebank
Aug 29 – Online: Summer Youth Conference – Speak Out! Learn about Prevention and Advocacy for Victims of Gender-based Violence
Aug 29 – Online: Black Resistance: Examples of African Rebellion
Aug 30 & 31 – Online: How to get your friends to SAY NO TO THE RECALL Workshop (more dates available)!
Aug 31 – Online: Text Callifornia Democrats to Stop the Republican Recall
Aug 31 – Online: For the People Phonebank with Common Cause (other dates available)
Sept 1 – Online: Lessons in Liberation – Grounding Education in Abolition
Sept 1 – Online: Call-a-Palooza: Help Register Voters of Color in Virginia Phonebank
Sept 1 – OJAI – Secure Beginnings Free Diaper Bank (10:30am-12:30 pm PDT)
Sept 2 – Stop the Recall Postcard and Pizza Party at Santino’s (you can stay and write if you are vaxxed, masked, and comfortable – or you may pick up a packet, stamps, and a slice or two to write from home)Can’t make it? Help fund this event
Sept 2 – Online: For the People Phonebank with Common Cause (other dates available)
Sept 4 – VENTURA COUNTY – Take Action: Door to Door Canvass to Stop the Recall
Sept 4 – SANTA CLARITA – Canvass: Stop the Recall Literature Drops
Sept 5 – Online: Ventura County Take Action: Stop the Recall Phonebank
Sept 6 & 7- Online: How to get your friends to SAY NO TO THE RECALL Workshop (more dates available)!
Sept 10 – Online: Critical Race Theory – What it is and What it isn’t
Sept 11 – Online: Virtual Canvass – SEIU – Stop the Governor Newsom Recall – Oxnard
Sept 11 – SANTA CLARITA – Canvass: Stop the Recall Literature Drops
Sept 12 – Online: Ventura County Take Action: Stop the Recall Phonebank
Sept 13 – Online: Phone Bank to Stop the Recall of Governor Newsom (more dates available)
Sept 13 – Online: Virtual Canvass – SEIU – Stop the Governor Newsom Recall – Oxnard
Sept 14 – Online: Virtual Canvass – SEIU – Stop the Governor Newsom Recall – Oxnard
Sept 21 – Online: VC Post-Census Redistricting Pre-Draft Map Public Hearing
Sept 26 – (we’re back!) – Free IMMIGRATION LEGAL AID Fair – Volunteers Needed! Every last Sunday of the month we assist residents, alongside immigration lawyers, in filling out paperwork for citizenship, DACA, and green card renewals. Can’t make it? Help fund this event
You can now DONATE to the cause!
Indivisible Ventura is completely volunteer run and your donation will support the direct costs of organizing in Ventura — things like meeting room rental, posters, art supplies, stamps, transportation, and more! Now that we’ve defeated Trump and taken back the Senate, we have to act urgently to save our democracy and enact other desperately needed reforms. Getting it done depends on all of us. Let’s stand together, indivisible. Indivisible Ventura is one of 6,000 grassroots Indivisible groups across the country.
Contribute today to Indivisible Ventura. Together, we will win.
Indivisible Ventura: How to make your calls faster
Indivisible Ventura: Why do I need to call? My representatives are all Democrats
What Good Does it do to Write Letters to the Editor?: With contact information, podcast tutorial, and guidelines
Copyright © 2021 Indivisible Ventura, All rights reserved.
Hello from Indivisible Ventura! Thanks for signing up!
Our mailing address is:
Indivisible VenturaPO Box 6367Ventura, Ca 93006
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.