Today’s guests say that the National Park Service is betraying its mission at Northern California’s Point Reyes National Seashore by favoring legacy cattle ranches and dairies over preservation of the land and the survival of the native Tule Elk. Peter Byrne and Will Carruthers also present examples of the local ranch and dairy businesses polluting local communities, wielding undue influence in the region’s politics, and corrupting a local land-preservation nonprofit. They add that only the presence of an independent weekly newspaper has enabled the public to be aware of these problems.
- Peter Byrne is an award-winning investigative journalist who has written on a wide array of topics, from science and medicine to public finance. His article “Apocalypse Cow” can be read here. All of Byrne’s work can be found here.
- Will Carruthers is the award-winning staff reporter for the Pacific Sun and North Bay Bohemian weekly newspapers, serving California’s Marin, Sonoma and Napa counties. His piece on the Petaluma Creamery, with links to updates, is here.
The Project Censored Show:
- Host: Mickey Huff
- Producer: Anthony Fest
- “Nature’s Disappearing” by Walter Trout
- “This Land is Your Land” by Neil Young
- “Last Lion of Albion” by Neko Case
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.