The Dog-Whistler-in-Chief postponed his Juneteenth rally in Tulsa “out of respect” for the holiday. Except … he’ll hold it the day after, and still in “a city that 99 years ago was the site of a bloody race massacre.” Did he change the date to inflame his followers’ fury (and is that what he thinks “respectful” means?) And … did he think people wouldn’t find it disrespectful for Mike Pence to run a campaign tribute using Nazi imagery if Facebook took it down right away? Here’s a thought to celebrate Juneteenth: “National support for Black Lives Matter has soared – while … Trump’s approval rating has plunged ten points in a single month. The movement for racial justice is more popular than Trump’s presidency.” Let’s talk about how we can bring about freedom in this time and place. Let’s demand justice.
Action: Demand Justice on Juneteenth
Deadline: NOW – Lest we forget, we’re not only saying the names of Black lives who matter far away. This Juneteenth — and after — demand justice also for Black lives in our local counties, cities, streets, public transit, schools, and throughout our state. Read our article for lots of things you can do, from affecting police budgets to expressing outrage. Take a little time to make a big difference.
Support BLM for Juneteenth & beyond
To celebrate and honor Juneteenth, there are many nationwide Movement for Black Lives sponsored actions, including Bay Area events. Many are virtual, so you can support Black Lives Matter from home. Also, check out new resources Indivisible National added to their helpful website after our Defunding the Police article came out. There’s background, actions, materials for anti-racist education and how you (yes YOU) must help dismantle a system that neither serves nor protects.
IEB’s first Virtual Voter Palooza on June 13 was a smashing success! Nearly 60 volunteers made 360 phone calls to support Flip the West’s voter outreach, wrote 250 Reclaim Our Vote postcards and 160 Vote Forward letters, and we trained four new people to organize and hold events! Read more about the Palooza in our article.
What We’ve Been Doing
Has your view looked like the pic above as you’re being an activist from home? We want to see it too! Send us your pix for our “IEB In Place” project! Here’s info about the project & tips to get good shots. Email photos with subject “IEB In Place” to email@example.com
2020 Voter Outreach Events
Phone & Text Bank/Postcard & Letter:
- Vote Forward letter writing 6/18
- Postcard with Matt & Alice, every other Saturday starting 6/20. Info & RSVP here
- Phone Bank to AZ & CO 6/20
- Vote Forward letter writing 6/21
- Postcard with Kristen 6/23
- Phone Bank to AZ & CO 6/27
- Thursday Night Postcarding 7/9
- Can you help reach out to Spanish-speaking voters in AZ & beyond? If so, please add your name to our list.
- Want to write postcards from home? Email us for complete instructions, scripts & addresses.
Other Activities & Events
- See our article Come Zoom With Us about how to join us online or by phone, using the Zoom call app.
- June 28, 1-2:30 PM: Virtual IEB All Members Meeting. RSVP & info here.
IEB doesn’t necessarily endorse the groups, events, or candidates below. Submit calendar events to firstname.lastname@example.org
- June 29, 1 PM: Rep. Eric Swalwell author event, discussion about his new book Endgame: Inside the Impeachment of Donald J. Trump. Register here (free event, book available to purchase).
We Could Not Make This Up
The East Coast and West Coast compete in all kinds of things — wine, food, hip hop — but ya know SF, just because Central Park Karen does something, you don’t have to try to outdo her in Pacific Heights. And speaking of people who are “naive to racial inequalities,” Corporate America finally realizes that Aunt Jemima, Uncle Ben and Mrs. Butterworth should come in off the plantation and out of the servants’ quarters. (Now maybe somebody could tell Quaker Oats it isn’t just “loving moms” who make breakfast?)
Want to do more? Contact Us!
- Volunteer with IEB or find out how we work: email@example.com
- Questions/comments about IEB: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Don’t miss an issue: subscribe to this newsletter!
- Questions/comments on the newsletter: email@example.com
- Join us on the chat platform Slack to talk about important issues, plan events, & more! Ask for an invite at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Donate – keep the momentum going!
Your donations to IEB support our actions against the Evil Empire but do not go to candidate-related events.
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.