IEB NEWSLETTER 5/21/20
Things we’ve lost track of: times we’ve washed our hands, what day of the week it is, how to concentrate when … squirrel! Things we’re still focusing on: mostly the same as before, although using virtual tools to keep us all safe. This week, we focus on our own communities: groups making things better for local folks during these hard times, and a photo project showing how you, and we, are practicing activism. We hope you’ll contribute to both.
Community in the Time of COVID
Deadline: start now & keep at it – COVID-19 is challenging us all. While the Quack-in-Chief recommends trying bleach and hawks a potentially dangerous medication, lots of people are stepping up to support groups doing good for our East Bay community. Whether you or someone you know needs aid or has some extra time, talent, or money to give, or if you’re one unhinged press conference away from losing it and need a channel for your frustration, see our article for many great ways to give or get help!
We’ve got a packed All Members Meeting lined up for Sunday, May 31! Hear latest outreach strategies from our fave Indivisible CA rep Dennessa Atiles, learn what CA Dems is doing from Martha Kreeger, and Public Bank East Bay will share their recipe for how public banking can help rescue the economy. We open at 12:30 PM to troubleshoot; then the meeting is 1-2:30 PM. RSVP here; we’ll email you the Zoom link + our IEB FAQ. Questions? Reach out to email@example.com
Now’s the perfect time to snap pics of your hard work resisting and saving democracy from home, so IEB introduces our new creative project, “IEB In Place.” We’d love to include photos of you (and your SIP family!) making calls, texting, writing or decorating postcards … Try not to include recognizable faces — we’ll use these on social media, in this newsletter, and to advertise our events. We may crop or adjust them — here’s more info & tips to get good shots. Huge thanks to IEB member & Pro Bono Photo volunteer Mary DeShaw for spearheading this project. Send your photos with subject line “IEB In Place” to AnneSpevack@gmail.com
Your donations to IEB support our actions against the Evil Empire but do not go to candidate-related events.
Activities & Events!
2020 Voter Outreach Events
Phone &Text Bank/Postcard & Letter:
- Postcard Hangout w/ Pat 5/22
- Phone Bank to AZ 5/23
- Postcard Hangout w/ Kristen 5/26
- Phone Bank to AZ 5/30
- Postcard Hangout w/ Matt & Alice 5/30
- Can you help reach out to Spanish-speaking voters in AZ & beyond? If so, please add your name to our list.
- Want to write postcards from home? Email us for complete instructions, scripts & addresses.
Other Activities & Events
- See our article Come Zoom With Us about how to join us online or by phone, using the Zoom call app.
- May 31, 1-2:30 PM: Virtual IEB All Members Meeting. RSVP & info here.
IEB doesn’t necessarily endorse the groups, events, or candidates below. Submit calendar events to firstname.lastname@example.org
- May 27, 7-8 PM: Town Hall on Reopening California, with CA-15 Rep. Eric Swalwell & others. Submit video questions.
We Could Not Make This Up
Pretty please? Michigan’s AG says she’s “asking that … Trump comply with the law of our state” and FFS wear a mask or stay out of enclosed areas when he visits a Ford plant. If he doesn’t? They won’t stop him but they won’t ask him back. What would Miss Manners say? Let’s not even notice that Ford legally may not let anyone tour in the first place … Meanwhile, Trump’s former campaign chair Paul Manafort (not wearing a mask) and fixer Michael Cohen (wearing a mask) get out of jail because of virus fears. Isn’t that special. Too bad Ford workers can’t get released from exposure to the Virus-Spreader-in-Chief.
Want to do more? Contact Us!
- Volunteer with IEB or find out how we work: email@example.com
- Questions/comments about IEB: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Don’t miss an issue: subscribe to this newsletter!
- Questions/comments on the newsletter: email@example.com
- Join us on the chat platform Slack to talk about important issues, plan events, & more! Ask for an invite at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Donate – keep the momentum going!
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.