Boyd Urges Support for Domestic Violence Shelters
State Rep. Janine Boyd and Ohio House Democrats are urging Gov. Mike DeWine and Attorney General Dave Yost to increase resources to domestic violence shelters during the COVID-19 pandemic.
“Even in a pandemic, victims of domestic violence are not safe at home. Home for victims is not synonymous with shelter. As we consider the dangers of the COVID-19 virus, we must remember that while the stay-at-home order is meant to save lives, it may put victims of domestic violence at greater risk. We must give them the tools to find safe shelter — free of abuse and absent of disease, with workers who are equipped with protections for themselves and for victims,” said Boyd.
Boyd is requesting that the state declare domestic violence shelter workers essential workers, provide shelters with personal protective equipment (PPE) and include resources and information about domestic violence programs on the COVID-19 website.
Planned Parenthood Action Fund and EMILY’s List Endorsements
Congratulations to Desiree Tims, who is challenging Congressman Mike Turner in Ohio’s 10th Congressional District, on her endorsement by Planned Parenthood Action Fund! She joins Congresswoman Joyce Beatty, Congresswoman Marcia Fudge and Congressman Tim Ryan, who have previously been endorsed by Planned Parenthood Action Fund.
EMILY’s List this week endorsed eight Democratic candidates who are running for the Ohio Statehouse: Kathy Wyenandt, Betsy Rader, Nancy Day-Achauer, Sara Bitter, Leronda Jackson, Amy Cox, Rachael Morocco and Alexis Miller.
Earlier this year EMILY’s List also endorsed Reem Subei, Crystal Lett, Rep. Janine Boyd, Rep. Juanita Brent, Rep. Mary Lightbody, Rep. Beth Liston, Rep. Allison Russo, Rep. Jessica Miranda, Rep. Catherine Ingram and Rep. Randi Clites.
Ohio Moms Running for Office
Like most events these days, the Cleveland International Film Festival is going virtual, which means you can screen the featured flicks online. “REPRESENT” is a film about women’s political power, and it highlights the story of Granville Township Trustee Bryn Bird, a farmer, wife and mom who ran for office in 2017.
Red, Wine and Blue is saluting Ohio women who are running for office during a pandemic, while juggling kids, work, chores and more!
Get Out The Vote (Virtually)
Time is running out for Ohio voters to return their absentee ballots before the deadline!
If you’ve already cast your ballot in Ohio’s primary election, you can help get out the vote from the comfort of your own home by joining our virtual phone bank. We’re calling Ohio voters who have requested an absentee ballot to encourage them to return it soon.
It only takes a few minutes to make a big impact —sign up here for a virtual phone bank shift.
On Saturday, April 25, Team Joe will come together for our Service Outreach Unity Leadership (S.O.U.L.) of the Nation Saturday to thank our communities’ heroes and connect with friends and neighbors.
In the midst of our current crisis, the grit and spirit of the American people are shining through.
From posting a sign thanking frontline workers in your window, to calling or texting friends and family to check in on them or attending a virtual community meeting to discuss how you can support the good work happening in your community, there are so many opportunities to participate in the day.
Click here to add your name to commit to taking action in your community this Saturday.
Here are additional virtual events you can join:
- Thursday, April 23 — National Women for Biden Call with Sen. Amy Klobuchar
- Thursday, April 23 — YWCA Stand Against Racism National Tele-Town Hall with Cecile Richards, Valerie Jarrett, Special Guest Janelle Monáe and More
- Thursday, April 23 — Virtual Town Hall with Sen. Nickie Antonio, Rep. Bride Sweeney and Ohio Senate Democrats
- Thursday, April 23 — Small Business Roundtable with Rep. Kristin Boggs, Rep. Allison Russo, Rep. Tavia Galonski, Rep. Jessica Miranda and Ohio House Democrats
- Thursday, April 23 — Facebook Live Get Together with Reem Subei for Ohio Senate
- Friday, April 24 — Community Conversation with Rep. Erica Crawley, Dontavius L. Jarrells for Ohio House, Commissioner Kevin Boyce and Rep. Terrence Upchurch
- Saturday, April 25 — Virtual Digital Organizing Training with College Democrats of Ohio and the Ohio Democratic Party
- Tuesday, April 28 — League of Women Voters of Ohio Presentation on Women’s Suffrage: The Complicated Struggle for the Vote
- Tuesday, April 28 — Facebook Live Get Together with Reem Subei for Ohio Senate
- Tuesday, April 28 — Virtual Town Hall with Sen. Sandra Williams and CEO of the Cleveland Metropolitan School District Eric Gordon
- Saturday, May 2 — Greene County Voices May Virtual Candidate Support Meeting
- Saturday, May 16 — Ohio Young Democrats Virtual Convention
Kathy DiCristofaro, Chair
Ohio Democratic Women’s Caucus
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.