IEB NEWSLETTER 2/19/20
Our newsletter is early this week to let you know about a single action with an urgent deadline, to protect reproductive health care in California. Yep, we’re doing this for Presidents’ Day week, because fighting for women’s and LGBTQ+ rights IS all about fighting the Current Occupant.
When you’re done taking action, be sure you’ve got our All Members Meeting on your calendar for this coming Sunday — we’ll have reps from some of the top candidates, how’s that for Presidential?
Deadline: FRIDAY, FEB. 21 – DO THIS NOW! Our NARAL Pro-Choice California allies alerted us that the University of California — which serves nearly two million patients a year, and trains over 14,000 health professionals throughout UC — has affiliations with health systems that prevent delivery of essential reproductive health care services. That means in some situations UC medical professionals can’t provide LGBTQ+ inclusive care, abortion care, miscarriage management, tubal ligation — even contraception. UC is seeking feedback on this arrangement, but the deadline is this Friday, Feb. 21, so please act now by submitting your comments here! And please share this action with your friends by sharing our blog post, which also has more info. Anyone can comment, no need to live in California or have any connection with UC.
What to say – please customize this message:
My name is _____, I live in [town/city/state] and I’m a member of Indivisible East Bay. [If you have an affiliation with the University of California, say what it is.] I’m calling on you to reject religiously imposed limits outlined in this report. The University of California needs to end affiliations that discriminate against women and members of the LGBTQ+ community.
No one should be denied care because of religious interference. UC is a public healthcare institution and has an obligation to ensure that patients receive appropriate care. You put Californians’ health in real jeopardy by failing to provide this care.
As California’s March 3 primary nears, we want to hear from the candidates who signed the Indivisible Pledge. Join us as reps from the Bloomberg, Buttigieg, Klobuchar, Sanders, Steyer & Warren campaigns — and, we hope, Biden — tell us why they chose their candidate. It won’t be a debate — we’re Indivisible, building UNITY while we learn about the people looking to unseat the Divider-in-Chief. This Sunday, February 23, 1-3 PM on the 2nd floor of Berkeley’s Sports Basement: more info & RSVP here.
Your donations to IEB support our actions against the Evil Empire but do not go to candidate-related events.
Activities & Events!
2020 Voter Outreach Events
Even if you can’t make any of these, please fill out this form: we’ll let you know about future events.
- In AZ with Flip the West: Sign up for events here. IEB plans to help coordinate travel & housing; fill out this form if you’re interested.
- In CA-10 (Modesto) with Indivisible Berkeley: Feb. 22, 10 AM-3 PM. Info & RSVP here.
- In CA-10 (Modesto) with Working America: March 7, 10 AM. Info & RSVP here.
Phone &Text Bank/Postcard & Letter:
- Call/Text AZ: March 1, 1-4 PM in El Cerrito. Info & RSVP here.
- Postcard: March 2, 6:45-8:45 PM in Oakland. Info & RSVP here.
- Call AZ: March 7, 1-3 PM in Richmond. Info & RSVP here.
- Call AZ: March 14, 1-3 PM in Richmond. Info & RSVP here.
- Text: March 28, 10 AM-noon, in Berkeley. Info & RSVP here.
- Postcard/Letter: March 29, 10 AM-noon, in Berkeley. Info & RSVP here.
Check out canvasses, phone & text banks, and more, hosted by IEB’s partners to flip 2020 blue:
- NEW! Phone banks, canvasses, more, at CADEM’s Alameda Co HQ. List & RSVP here
- Democracy Action
- East Bay Activist Alliance
- Flip the West
- Indivisible Berkeley and Indivisible SF
- NorCal Blue
- Swing Left East Bay
- West County Organizing
Other Activities & Events
- Feb. 19, 7-8:30 PM: IEB CA-11 Team Meeting, in El Cerrito. Info & RSVP.
- Feb. 23, 1-3 PM: IEB All Members Meeting at Sports Basement, Berkeley. Info & RSVP.
IEB doesn’t necessarily endorse the groups, events, or candidates below. Submit calendar events to email@example.com
- Feb. 22, 3:30-5:30 PM: Indivisible Berkeley Healthcare Forum, in Berkeley. Info & RSVP here.
- March 3: California Presidential Primary. Info here. And see our article.
Don’t Say We Never Gave You Anything
What to do in a week with both Valentine’s Day & Presidents’ Day? Though they’re both holidays Not Found in Nature, we may as well celebrate in our special Indivisible way. And so we bring you — in case you haven’t already seen or heard — Ruth’s Sparkly Shoes, plus the Founding Fathers in Song: No, Don’t Let Democracy Die! You’re welcome.
Want to do more? Contact Us!
- Volunteer with IEB or find out how we work: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Questions/comments about IEB: email@example.com
- Don’t miss an issue: subscribe to this newsletter!
- Questions/comments on the newsletter: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Join us on the chat platform Slack to talk about important issues, plan events, & more! Ask for an invite at email@example.com
- Donate – keep the momentum going!
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.