Ohio GOP Smears Hillary O’Connor Mueri in Malicious Partisan Attack
As a U.S. Navy veteran who flew combat missions over Iraq, Hillary “Toro” O’Connor Mueri is used to dealing with incoming fire — just not from her fellow veterans.
Last week Congressman Dave Joyce and the Ohio Republican Party made a false attack against Mueri, who is challenging Joyce in Ohio’s 14th Congressional District. Secretary of State Frank LaRose joined in that attack — which was disproven less than 24 hours later.
“Less than one week after Frank LaRose appropriately chastened Ohioans about spreading misinformation, Dave Joyce, the Ohio GOP and our state’s top elections official participated in a joint smear of the good name of a navy combat veteran running for Congress,” said Ohio Democratic Party Chairman David Pepper. “They engaged in a malicious, partisan attack — treating Hillary O’Connor Mueri like a criminal — without taking the time to check the basic facts. Records from the Lake County Board of Elections contradict the Ohio GOP’s false claim, and if LaRose had taken the time to pick up the phone and call them, he might have thought twice about inserting himself into a political campaign and held his tongue.
“Dave Joyce, Frank LaRose and the Ohio Republican Party all owe Hillary O’Connor Mueri a full apology.”
Russo and Lightbody Introduce Legislation to Protect Safe Drinking Water
State Reps. Allison Russo and Mary Lightbody have introduced the Safe Drinking Water Act to guarantee safe drinking water in Ohio.
“People across Ohio are being exposed to unsafe drinking water that is polluted with dangerous toxins and contaminants, putting our citizens’ health and safety at risk simply by drinking the water that flows into their homes and public places,” said Russo. “Our legislature has an obligation to ensure every resident in every community of Ohio has access to safe and clean drinking water.”
With the Safe Drinking Water Act, state-level standards would be set to protect residents from known toxins that evidence has shown to increase the risk of cancer, reduce fertility in women, interfere with hormones, increase cholesterol levels and negatively affect the immune system and development in infants and children.
“The scientific data being gathered on these dangerous toxins has created an imperative to address the need for clean water and the elimination of pollutants in our environment,” said Lightbody. “Recent changes in federal water standards make it critical that we set standards in Ohio to protect our water sources from ‘forever’ chemicals such as those in this bill. We serve communities across Ohio and future generations deserve advocates who act now in the best interests of their health and well-being.”
Make a Plan to Vote
The 2020 election is officially here, and early voting is now open for Ohio’s presidential primary! Click here to confirm your early voting location using this handy tool.
You can vote early in person, by mail or on Election Day, Tuesday, March 17 — it’s your choice! Click here for more information.
We’re recruiting volunteers for Primary Election Day. Can you help out? Click here and a team member will be in touch.
The Ohio Democratic Party is holding its annual Legacy Dinner on Sunday, March 15 in Columbus. Click here for info on tickets and tables.
- Saturday, Feb. 22 — Trumbull County Young Dems: Gaming and GOTV Planning for Young Progressives
- Tuesday, Feb. 25 — League of Women Voters of Greater Cleveland Forum on EdChoice, Vouchers and Ohio School Funding
- Tuesday, March 3 — Lorain Democratic Women’s Club Spaghetti Dinner
- Friday, March 6 — Meet and Greet with Monique Smith for State Representative in Westlake
- Sunday, March 8 — Bedford/Walton Hills Democratic Party March Madness Fundraiser with Hillary O’Connor Mueri
- Tuesday, March 10 — Lorain County Commissioner Sharon Sweda Polish Fest Fundraiser
- Tuesday, March 10 — Summit County Clerk of Courts Sandra Kurt Fundraiser
- Thursday, March 12 — Summit County Democratic Party St. Patrick’s Party
- Saturday, Feb. 22 — Hardin County Democratic Party Presidents Day Luncheon with Judge Jennifer Brunner and Nick Rubando for Congress
- Tuesday, Feb. 25 — Meet and Greet in Sylvania with Reem Subei for Ohio Senate
- Thursday, Feb. 27 — Auglaize County Democratic Party 4th Congressional District Democratic Debate
- Thursday, Feb. 27 — Ottawa County Democratic Party Blue Plate Special with Judge Jennifer Brunner and Judge John P. O’Donnell
- Thursday, March 12 — Women’s Democratic Caucus of Rural Northwest Ohio Seven-County Democratic Dinner
- Thursday, March 12 — Meet Supreme Court Candidates Judge Brunner & Judge O’Donnell with the Wood County Democratic Party
- Saturday, Feb. 22 — Athens County Democratic Party Straw Poll Breakfast
- Thursday, Feb. 20 — Miami County Democratic Party World Day of Social Justice Dinner
- Thursday, Feb. 27 — Cincinnati Enquirer Meet the Candidates Night
- Sunday, March 8 — Butler County Democratic Party Gala Dinner
- Tuesday, March 10 — Volunteer at Second Harvest with the Clark County Democratic Party
- Saturday, March 14 — Clermont County Democratic Party St. Patrick’s Pancake Breakfast
- Sunday, April 19 — Warren County Democratic Party Spring Gala with Judge Jennifer Brunner and Judge John P. O’Donnell
- Friday, Feb. 21 — Rachael Morocco for State Representative Meet and Greet in Lewis Center
- Friday, Feb. 21 — Third Friday Democrats Luncheon: Legislative Update with State Rep. Allison Russo and State Rep. Rich Brown
- Saturday, Feb. 22 — College Democrats of Ohio Fundraiser in Columbus
- Saturday, Feb. 22 — Franklin County Young Dems Canvass
- Sunday, Feb. 23 — Joyce Beatty for Congress Westerville Canvass
- Monday, Feb. 24 — Delaware County Young Dems Organizational Meeting
- Monday, Feb. 24 — State Rep. Beth Liston Office Hours in Columbus
- Tuesday, Feb. 25 — Franklin County Young Dems Game Night and Happy Hour
- Saturday, Feb. 29 — Alaina Shearer for Congress: Clintonville Fundraiser
- Saturday, Feb. 29 — Crystal Lett for Ohio Senate Hilliard Canvass Launch
- Tuesday, March 3 — Judge Terri Jamison for Court of Appeals Campaign Kickoff in Columbus
- Tuesday, March 3 — Stonewall Dems of Central Ohio Meeting
- Friday, March 6 — 8th Annual Women Have Options Solidarity Clothing Swap in Columbus
- Saturday, March 7 — Marion County Democratic Club FDR Breakfast with Judge Jennifer Brunner
- Saturday, March 7 — Dublin Canvass Launch with Crystal Lett for Ohio Senate, Alaina Shearer for Congress and State Rep. Beth Liston
- Wednesday, March 11 — Fairfield County Democratic Party Happy Hour
- Thursday, March 12 — Women and Politics Panel with State Rep. Allison Russo and Councilwoman Michaela Burriss in Upper Arlington
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.