The Census Bureau is hiring! Getting an accurate count of Ohio residents will help ensure your community gets its fair amount of funding — and these jobs provide great pay, mileage reimbursement, paid training and flexible work hours. If you or someone you know is interested in working for the Census, click here for more information.
One Year After GM Layoffs Begin, Trump Lies About a Blue-Collar Boom
Donald Trump touted a “blue-collar boom” during his State of the Union address — but Ohio lost thousands of blue-collar jobs last year, and this week was the one-year anniversary of General Motors beginning involuntary layoffs of thousands of workers, leading to the shuttering of their Lordstown factory.
Donald Trump thinks that closing GM Lordstown ‘doesn’t really matter,’ and he has certainly acted that way, as he’s been to Ohio six times in the past year and has never once come to Lordstown to look the workers and community members in the eye,” said Ohio Democratic Party Chairman David Pepper. “There is no ‘blue-collar boom’ happening in Ohio. It’s the exact opposite. We’ve lost thousands of blue-collar jobs over the past year, and Trump’s trade war by tweet has harmed Ohio manufacturers, farmers, small businesses and consumers. The Federal Reserve found that Trump’s failed trade policies backfired on manufacturing. On top of all that, Trump’s tax scam actually encourages corporations to outsource jobs.
“Don’t be fooled by Donald Trump’s State of the Union lies about the economy. Many parts of Ohio that are heavily dependent on manufacturing are struggling with job losses. Trump keeps breaking his promises, and Ohio workers are paying the price.”
Last year was the worst year for Ohio’s job growth since 2009, and the Buckeye State lost 1,700 manufacturing jobs and 9,000 construction jobs between December 2018 and December 2019. Just today we learned that the nation lost 12,000 manufacturing jobs last month.
OHIO DEMS IN THE HEADLINES
Protecting the Right to Organize
This week state Reps. H. Gilson Blair and Brigid Kelly celebrated the U.S. House’s passage of the Protecting the Right to Organize (PRO) Act. Blair and Kelly have introduced a resolution calling on Congress to pass this legislation, which would give millions of workers additional protections to organize and negotiate for better pay, better benefits and safer working conditions.
“I am pleased that the U.S. House of Representatives passed the PRO Act,” Blair said. “We urge the U.S. Senate to quickly follow suit. This act will strengthen our nation’s economy by supporting working families and leveling the playing field for economic development.”
“The PRO Act is a long overdue step to make a more level playing field for workers. When hard-working people join together and negotiate for a better life, it builds a stronger economy, a stronger state and a stronger nation,” said Kelly. “I now urge the U.S. Senate to stand with workers and pass this legislation quickly.”
The Ohio Democratic Party is holding its annual Legacy Dinner on Sunday, March 15 in Columbus. Click here for info on tickets and tables.
- Saturday, Feb. 8 — Greene County Democratic Women’s Club Luncheon with Judge Jennifer Brunner
- Saturday, Feb. 8 — Mahoning/Trumbull County Democratic Women’s Caucus Training
- Saturday, Feb. 8 — Washington County Democratic Party Valentine’s Dinner with Judge Jennifer Brunner
- Sunday, Feb. 9 — Wood County Young Dems Book Club Meeting
- Sunday, Feb. 9 — Knox County Democratic Party Strategy Session
- Sunday, Feb. 9 — Candidate Forum for Ohio Senate District 16 in Hilliard
- Monday, Feb. 10 — Richland County Democratic Women’s Caucus Meeting
- Tuesday, Feb. 11 — Franklin County Democratic Women’s Club 2020 Kickoff and Membership Drive
- Tuesday, Feb. 11 — Richwood Women of Action Democratic Candidates Night
- Tuesday, Feb. 11 — Warren County Democratic Party Women’s Group Meeting
- Wednesday, Feb. 12 — Fairfield County Democratic Party Happy Hour
- Wednesday, Feb. 12 — Cuyahoga County Democratic Women’s Caucus We Love Dem Women Event
- Thursday, Feb. 13 — Summit County Democratic Party Valentine’s Day Party
- Thursday, Feb. 13 — Lucas County Young Dems Speed Date the Candidates Meeting
- Thursday, Feb. 13 — Northern Stark Democratic Club 16th Congressional District Democratic Debate
- Friday, Feb. 14 — Portage County Democratic Party Love Your Local Dems Fundraiser
- Saturday, Feb. 15 — Franklin County Democratic Party Coordinated Campaign Kickoff with Joyce Beatty
- Sunday, Feb. 16 — Lorain City Democratic Party Annual Spring Brunch
- Sunday, Feb. 16 — Women’s Democratic Caucus of Rural Northwest Ohio Meeting
- Sunday, Feb. 16 — 5th Congressional District Democratic Candidate Forum in Findlay
- Wednesday, Feb. 19 — Clermont County Young Dems Meeting and Elections
- Wednesday, Feb. 19 — Warren County Democratic Party 1st Congressional District Candidates Night
- Thursday, Feb. 20 — Miami County Democratic Party’s World Day of Social Justice Dinner
- Saturday, Feb. 22 — Hardin County Democratic Party Presidents Day Luncheon
- Saturday, Feb. 22 — College Democrats of Ohio Fundraiser in Columbus
- Saturday, Feb. 22 — Trumbull County Young Dems Game Night
- Monday, Feb. 24 — Delaware County Young Dems Organizational Meeting
- Tuesday, Feb. 25 — Franklin County Young Dems Game Night
- Thursday, Feb. 27 — Ottawa County Democratic Party Blue Plate Special with Judge Jennifer Brunner and Judge John P. O’Donnell
- Thursday, Feb. 27 — Auglaize County Democratic Party 4th Congressional District Democratic Debate
- Tuesday, March 3 — Lorain Democratic Women’s Club Spaghetti Dinner
- Saturday, March 7 — Marion County Democratic Club’s FDR Breakfast
- Sunday, March 8 — Butler County Democratic Party Gala Dinner
- Sunday, March 8 — Bedford and Watson Hills Democratic Party’s March Madness Fundraiser Featuring Hillary O’Connor Mueri for Congress
- Thursday, March 12 — Northwest Ohio Seven-County Democratic Dinner
- Thursday, March 12 — Summit County Democratic Party’s St. Patrick’s Party
- Thursday, March 12 — Wood County Democratic Party Meet and Greet with Judge Jennifer Brunner and Judge John P. O’Donnell
- Saturday, March 14 — Clermont County Democratic Party Pancake Breakfast
- Sunday, April 19 — Warren County Democratic Party Spring Gala with Judge Jennifer Brunner and Judge John P. O’Donnell
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.