47 Years of Roe v. Wade
As we mark the 47th anniversary of the landmark Roe v. Wade decision, Planned Parenthood is partnering with We Testify to release a new short film, “Ours to Tell,” which features four stories of people “who live full and empowered lives because they had the freedom to access abortion.”
Ohio Women on the March
On the third anniversary of the Women’s March this past weekend, hundreds of Ohio women came out, battling rain, ice and wintry conditions, to raise their voices and claim their political power.
At the Dayton Women’s March, congressional candidate Desiree Tims said:
“Women are rising, and we’re engaging in politics at every level. That includes activism, that includes running for office and ensuring that we have a seat at the table. It’s so critically important that women are included in these conversations along the way.”
“Fighting for our lives is not comfortable. But we will not succeed if we are looking for comfortable. And let me tell you, losing is not an option. Babies separated from their parents and kept in cages is not an option! Endless war is not an option! Losing agency over our bodies is not an option! Violence against people of color and LGBTQ is not an option! Authoritarianism and fascism is not an option!”
Lupe Williams, the vice chair of development for the Ohio Democratic Women’s Caucus, was one of many to attend the Wooster Women’s March and spoke about the 100th anniversary of the 19th Amendment, which gave women the right to vote. Here are some photos from that event.
Share Your Story About Paid Family Leave
The United States is the only industrialized country in the world without guaranteed paid leave, and only 17 percent of Americans get paid family leave from their place of work. This number is even lower for low-wage and Black and Latina women workers.
No access to paid leave means that people are having to choose between caring for themselves or a loved one and earning a paycheck. But there is something you can do to make change.
The Ohio Women’s Public Policy Network is looking for your stories about paid leave. Make your voice heard on this issue by sharing your story.
The Ohio Democratic Party Main Street Initiative is hosting its first statewide training session of the year on Saturday, Feb. 8. This is a free, full-day training for all 2020 candidates and staff that will cover the fundamentals of running a professional campaign. Click here to RSVP.
The Ohio Democratic Party is holding its annual Legacy Dinner on Sunday, March 15 in Columbus. Click here for info on tickets and tables.
- Saturday, Jan. 25 — Medina Democratic Club’s Mock Iowa Caucus
- Saturday, Jan. 25 — Betsy Rader for Ohio Senate Fundraiser in Newbury
- Sunday, Jan. 26 — Monique Smith for Ohio House Friendraiser with Sen. Nickie Antonio
- Wednesday, Jan. 29 — Fundraiser for Summit County Clerk of Courts Sandra Kurt
- Saturday, Feb. 1 — We Belong Here PAC Brunch and Day Party
- Saturday, Feb. 8 — Mahoning/Trumbull County Democratic Women’s Caucus Orientation and Training
- Thursday, Feb. 13 — Summit County Democratic Party Valentine’s Day Party
- Sunday, Jan. 26 — Women’s Democratic Caucus of Rural Northwest Ohio January Meeting
- Monday, Jan. 27 — Lucas County Democratic Party Monday Seminar Series: Writing the Campaign Plan
- Thursday, Jan. 30 — Northwest Ohio Young Black Dems Mix and Mingle
- Sunday, Feb. 9 — Wood County Young Dems Book Club Meeting
- Saturday, Jan. 25 — Athens County Democratic Party Day of Action
- Saturday, Jan. 25 — Ohio Democratic Party Rural Engagement Action Plan Meeting in Chillicothe
- Thursday, Jan. 23 — Nicole Sanders for Hamilton County Court of Common Pleas – Drug Court Division Campaign Kickoff
- Wednesday, Jan. 29 — Jaime Castle For Congress Kickoff in Cincinnati
- Wednesday, Jan. 29 — Hamilton County Young Dems Cross-Generation Meet-Up
- Thursday, Jan. 30 — Greater Dayton Young Dems 2020 Fundraiser Kickoff
- Thursday, Feb. 6 — Quin-T Democratic Club Meeting with Jaime Castle for Congress
- Tuesday, Feb. 11 — Volunteer at Second Harvest Food Bank with the Clark County Democratic Party
- Saturday, Feb. 8 — Greene County Democratic Party Women’s Club Meeting
- Sunday, March 8 — Butler County Democratic Party Gala Dinner
- Friday, Jan. 24 — IGNITE the Capitol: Ohio Advocacy Training in Columbus
- Saturday, Jan. 25 — Fairfield County Democratic Party Voter Registration Training
- Monday, Jan. 27 — Upper Arlington House Party for Crystal Lett for Ohio Senate
- Tuesday, Jan. 28 — Franklin County Young Dems Elections and Meeting
- Wednesday, Feb. 12 — Fairfield County Democratic Party Happy Hour
- Tuesday, Feb. 18 — Programs for Ohio Women Empowered to Represent Networking Reception at the Ohio Statehouse
- Saturday, Feb. 22 — College Democrats of Ohio Fundraiser in Columbus
- Sunday, Feb. 23 — Our Voices Ohio Summit at Ohio State University
Kathy DiCristofaro, Chair
Ohio Democratic Women’s Caucus
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.