This Monday marks the 25th anniversary of MLK Day, the national day of service honoring Martin Luther King, Jr. It’s a reminder of the tremendous sacrifices Dr. King made in the pursuit of justice for all Americans, no matter their birthplace, their religion or the color of their skin.
For those who would like to participate in the #MLKDay of Service, visit MLKDay.gov to find a volunteer opportunity near you.
One more quick note — at the Ohio Democratic Party, we are looking to staff up for 2020, and we have several job opportunities posted to our website. Please check it out and share with your networks.
As always, thank you for your support,
Ohio Democratic Party
Trump Is Lying Again — This Time About Health Care
Last week when he was in Toledo, Donald Trump lied about Ohio’s struggling economic situation — the Buckeye State has lost thousands of jobs since January 2019 — and this week he doubled down on his health care lies, despite the fact that he is supporting a lawsuit that puts coverage at risk for 4.8 million Ohioans with pre-existing conditions.
“Donald Trump is lying when he says he wants to protect Americans with pre-existing conditions,” said Ohio Democratic Party Chairman David Pepper. “The truth is this: he is backing a lawsuit that jeopardizes health care for 4.8 million Ohioans with pre-existing conditions. Trump’s constant attacks on the Affordable Care Act are already taking a toll on the Buckeye State, as Ohio was one of eight states that saw its uninsured rate jump in 2018. One group that has been particularly hard hit is Ohio kids — 12,000 more children went without health coverage in 2018, compared to two years prior.
“It’s been one broken promise after another from Donald Trump, and Ohio families and kids are paying the price.”
OHIO DEMS IN THE HEADLINES
State Rep. Erica Crawley said, “We need to make sure the people who are creating laws and policies understand what is true and what is happening. I don’t want another woman to die from something that is preventable.”
Ohio Legislative Black Caucus President Stephanie Howse recently traveled to El Salvador to learn how that nation’s abortion ban impacts women there, and she returned from her trip determined to improve how our state regards women’s health and reproductive freedom.
Howse said, “We want women and girls to truly understand that they are valued … that they understand they are here, that they belong here and as long as you’re here, we are going to be cheering you on … and we are going to protect you.”
- Saturday, Jan. 18 — Central Ohio Young Black Dems Conversation With Congresswoman Joyce Beatty
- Saturday, Jan. 18 — Ohio Young Dems Winter Meeting in Columbus
- Tuesday, Jan. 21 — Joe Schiavoni for Mahoning County Court Judge Campaign Kickoff
- Tuesday, Jan. 21 — Sen. Teresa Fedor Community Forum on Public Education in Toledo
- Saturday, Jan. 25 — Knox County Democratic 2020 Strategy Session
- Saturday, Jan. 25 — Medina Democratic Club’s Mock Iowa Caucus
- Sunday, Jan. 26 — Candidate Forum for 15th Congressional District in Hilliard
- Sunday, Jan. 26 — Women’s Democratic Caucus of Rural Northwest Ohio Meeting
- Tuesday, Jan. 28 — Franklin County Young Democrats Election and Meeting
- Wednesday, Jan. 29 — Hamilton County Young Democrats Cross-Generation Dems Meet Up
- Thursday, Jan. 30 — Greater Dayton Young Democrats 2020 Fundraiser Kickoff
- Saturday, Feb. 1 — We Belong Here PAC Brunch in Akron
- Monday, Feb. 3 — Candidate Forum for Ohio Senate District 16 in Upper Arlington
- Saturday, Feb. 8 — Greene County Democratic Women’s Club Meeting
- Saturday, Feb. 8 — Mahoning/Trumbull County Democratic Women’s Caucus Training
- Sunday, Feb. 9 — Wood County Young Dems Book Club Meeting
- Wednesday, Feb. 12 — Fairfield County Democratic Party Happy Hour
- Thursday, Feb. 13 — Summit County Democratic Party Valentine’s Day Party
- Saturday, Feb. 22 — College Democrats of Ohio Fundraiser in Columbus
- Thursday, Feb. 27 — Ottawa County Dems Blue Plate Special with Judge Jennifer Brunner and Judge John P. O’Donnell
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.