Were you riveted, as we were, by the patriots testifying at the impeachment hearings? If you missed any, here’s an excellent summary with an NSFW title that sums up how we feel about life with the #$%^&-in-Chief. Also, check out this beautiful and creative response to everything hitting the fan, from State Dep’t. official George Kent via Rachel Maddow. No matter how jaw-dropping the revelations — or who’s getting pissed off by them — we’re here with action items, events & more!
Read on for your weekly easy, important ways you can fight the Trump regime.
Action #1: Fight for immigrants’ path to residency
Deadline: Act NOW & join Nov. 19 rally – Help fight for a pathway to permanent residency for over a million longtime U.S. residents at risk of losing their legal status under Trump administration attacks. On Tues. Nov. 19 the El Cerrito City Council will vote on a proclamation titled “In Support of Protections from Deportation and a Path to Permanent Residency for Beneficiaries of DACA, TPS and DED” — 7 PM at EC City Hall. Come early for a rally outside City Hall from 5:30-6:30 PM. ALL are welcome, not just EC residents. And right now, tell Senators Feinstein and Harris to fight for protections from deportation and a path to permanent residency for longtime residents. Read more in our article!
What to say:
My name is ___, my zip code is ______, and I’m a member of Indivisible East Bay. Please do all you can in the Senate to fight for protections from deportation and a path to permanent residency for longtime residents, including pushing for a similar bill to H.R. 6, which the House passed on June 4, 2019. I’m counting on Senator ____ to be a leader in fighting against the Trump administration’s racist anti-immigration policies.
Action #2: Potluck & postcards at AMM
Event date: All Members Meeting Nov. 24 – Don’t miss IEB’s November All Members Meeting! Party with us in Sports Basement Berkeley’s Community Room on Sunday, November 24, from 1 to 3 PM. Yes, party! It’s a potluck, so bring food or drink to share if you can (though please no alcohol — SB doesn’t allow it). We’ll celebrate the good VA & KY election news, recap our VA electoral work & strategy, and start to look ahead to the 2020 election. Bring friends — this is a fun, low-key way to introduce them to IEB! Read more here and RSVP here.
Action #3: Time to build Blue Tsunami 2020
Deadline: Start now! – Our Canadian neighbors can’t get over our crazy long election season, but it gives us Yanks more time to mobilize, eh? And with less than a year ’til election day, don’t wait — as they say, “2020 starts now.” In our “Phone! Canvass! More!” section below we list great local groups we partner with, all offering lots of ways we’ll make the Blue Tsunami happen. This week we feature Swing Left East Bay, whose goals are to flip Arizona and Colorado senate seats, hold CA-10 and CA-21 Congressional seats, & more. They have letter-writing parties, canvassing in & out of state, and more. Sign up for their updates here. And can you help IEB organize electoral events? Join our #election channel on Slack. For an invite to Slack, drop us a line at email@example.com
State and Local News
Couldn’t make it to Book Passage in SF on Nov. 8 to hear Pod Save America co-host Dan Pfeiffer interview Indivisible founders Leah Greenberg and Ezra Levin about their experiences and their new bookWe are Indivisible: A Blueprint for Democracy After Trump? You’ll want to read our article — find out why and how this pair believes we must and CAN take back our democracy!
A broad grassroots coalition is organizing rapid-response events to demand Congress impeach & remove Trump. Search here for events near you, or step up to host one! Dates for events will be set when a House vote on impeachment articles is scheduled, sign up so you’ll be the first to know when events are called.
Your donations to IEB support our actions against the Evil Empire but do not go to candidate-related events.
- Nov. 18, 6:45-8:45 PM: IEB Popcorn & Postcarding Party, in Oakland. Info & RSVP.
- Nov. 20, 5:30 PM: Debate Watch party & CA-11 team meeting. In El Cerrito. Info & RSVP (space limited).
- Nov. 24, 1-3 PM: IEB All Members Meeting, annual potluck! Sports Basement, Berkeley. More info here & RSVP here.
(see section below with links to phone banks & much more):
IEB doesn’t necessarily endorse the groups, events, or candidates included here. Submit calendar events to firstname.lastname@example.org
- EVERY TUESDAY, 4:30-5:30 PM: Resistance Rally by Grand Lake Theater, Oakland
- EVERY THURSDAY, 5-6 PM: Table with Indivisible Resistance Action East Bay at Rockridge BART.
- Nov. 16, 1-3 PM: Learn How to Influence Your Local Government. Free ACLU training at South Branch Berkeley Library. RSVP email@example.com
- Nov. 19, 5:30-6:30 PM: Vigil for Pathway for Permanent Residency, in El Cerrito. Our article and info here.
- Date TBD: Mass Impeachment Mobilization. Find an event, or host one! Date will be set when a House vote on impeachment articles is scheduled.
Phone! Canvass! More!
Check out phone & text banks, and much more, hosted by these great groups IEB works with:
- Swing Left East Bay phone banks, canvassing, more. See list here.
- Democracy Action’s calendar (search by location)
- East Bay Activist Alliance phone & text banks, more. See list & RSVP here
- Flip the West: postcarding, voter registration, and more, listed here
- Indivisible Berkeley phone & text banks
- Indivisible SF: phone banks, more.
- NorCal Blue’s events calendar.
- West County Organizing: several phone & text banks for state & special elections, in El Sobrante. Email Nancy for the schedule & to RSVP
- Working America Central Valley canvasses. Sign up here.
We Could Not Make This Up
We’re not sure what he’s doing, but the “person who started it all” said Wednesday he’s “too busy” to watch the impeachment hearings. Not too busy to tweet about them though, we notice. Moscow Mitch & Chuckles Grassley also don’t think the hearings are important enough to warrant their time, or maybe they’re pouting about how unfair the Dems are being to the poor Repubs. Lamar Alexander & Mitt Romney aren’t quite on the same page: Lamar says he’s too busy working to restore the National Parks, but Mittens doesn’t have his calendar organized, so he can’t decide whether he’s got time or not. Is the new GOP strategy to make it impossible to see the Senate through the smoke from all those burning trousers? Stay tuned.
Fired up to do more? Give us a shout!
- Volunteer with IEB or find out how we work: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Donate – keep the momentum going!
- Questions/comments about IEB: email@example.com
- Don’t miss an issue: subscribe to this newsletter!
- Questions/comments on the newsletter: firstname.lastname@example.org
IEB uses Slack, a chat system for talking about important issues, planning events, and team discussions. Want an invite to join Slack? Please drop us a line at email@example.com. Already on Slack? Feel free to contact our team leads:
- CA Senators: @ameliacass, @linh
- CA-11, Rep. DeSaulnier: @Kristen L, @Ted Lam
- CA-13, Rep. Lee: @linh
- CA-15, Rep. Swalwell: @ward
- Newsletter: @anngdan, @heidirand
- Volunteers: @andrea
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.