Indivisible East Bay sends this newsletter in memory of one of our beloved members who lost a battle with cancer this week, much too young. Mel Bryson was an IEB Governance Committee member and a founder of Indivisible El Cerrito; a force, blessed with enormous intelligence, generosity, and moral direction, relentless about doing the right thing by people and battling injustices large and small. She was an inspiration and a marvelous collaborator, and she will be very sorely missed.
It’s the season when the days grow short and many of us remember those we’ve lost. Was there someone who inspired you to fight for justice? You are their legacy, their DNA of honor. We carry on the fight for Mel and for all of them.
Action #1: What’s the budget got to do with hate?
Deadline: Now, before another racist budget or shutdown – The Wallhead-in-Chief and his administration have abused this country’s budget and their budgetary authority time & again to achieve their racist goals. Our Congressional procedure experts break it down for you and tell you how to tell our Members of Congress: don’t allow this continued abuse of the budget process and don’t let our money fund anti-immigrant racism! Read all about it.
Action #2: Help KY Dems Turn the Bluegrass State Blue
Deadline: ASAP, election is 11/5 – Kentucky is the Bluegrass State, so why’s it still red? Democrat Andy Beshear is running for Governor against Republican incumbent Matt Bevin in a Nov. 5 election that’s predicted to be very close. You can help the whole Democratic slate win this critical horse race, whether you can travel to Kentucky, make calls or write postcards from the comfort of your own home, or more — read our article for all the details.
Action #3: Lights, Camera, Take Action!
Sunday, October 27, 1 PM – Indivisible East Bay presents a two-act (and all action) event this Sun. Oct. 27! Charlie Varon, half of the creative duo behind The Great American Sh*t Show, takes center stage in the Community Room of Sports Basement Berkeley in a special performance that will speak to the postcarder, canvasser, text or phone banker in us all. Then, choose yer adventure: get a juicy role in the model House Judiciary Impeachment Hearing or write letters to ask voters in VA to vote, with Vote Forward. Let us know you’re coming and we’ll save you a seat!
Join our Senate Staff Meetings
Do you mutter under your breath or declaim over drinks about what our senators should do? Why not speak up where it counts — join IEB’s meetings in San Francisco with our Senators’ staff! Upcoming meetings: October 30 at noon with Sen. Feinstein’s staff, sign up here; November 8 at 2 PM with Sen. Harris’s staff, sign up here.
Live free and DIY: impeach!
IEB is excited to work/play with Indivisible SF & others to write, perform, and tape a model House Judiciary Committee impeachment hearing (date & location TBD). It takes a village to raze a childish, corrupt president – can you or folks you know help? Read more at our article, including how you can join in, and sign up at this link. Also, come to the AMM this Sun. Oct. 27, 1-3 PM, for a breakout to workshop the hearing!
Your donations to IEB support our actions against the Evil Empire but do not go to candidate-related events.
- Oct. 27, 1-3 PM: IEB All Members Meeting, Sports Basement, Berkeley. Info & RSVP.
- Oct. 30, noon: IEB meeting with Sen. Feinstein’s staff, sign up here.
- Nov. 5, 6:30-9:30 PM: Join IB, IEB, East Bay Activist Alliance & SwingLeft EB at Election Night Watch Party for Virginia elections. At Spats, Berkeley. No RSVP needed.
- Nov. 8, 2 PM: IEB meeting with Sen. Harris’s staff, sign up here.
OTHER EVENTS (see section below with links to phone banks & much more):
IEB doesn’t necessarily endorse the groups, events, or candidates included here. Submit calendar events to firstname.lastname@example.org
- EVERY TUESDAY, 4:30-5:30 PM: Resistance Rally by Grand Lake Theater, Oakland
- EVERY THURSDAY, 5-6 PM: Table with Indivisible Resistance Action East Bay at Rockridge BART.
- Oct. 27, 11:30 AM-1:30 PM: Movement Voter Project kickoff party. In Oakland. Info & RSVP. Free.
- Nov. 2, 1-2:30 PM: Rep. DeSaulnier Town Hall: Women in Leadership, Politics, and Society, in Danville. RSVP here.
- Nov. 7, 6:30-8 PM: Rep. DeSaulnier 100th Congressional Town Hall, in Concord. RSVP here.
- Nov. 13: Register new citizens to vote in Oakland. 10 AM-noon and 2-4 PM.
Phone! Canvass! More!
Check out phone & text banks, and much more, hosted by these great groups IEB works with:
- Swing Left East Bay phone banks, canvassing, more. See list here.
- East Bay Activist Alliance phone & text banks, more. See list & RSVP here
- Indivisible Berkeley phone & text banks
- Indivisible SF: phone banks, more.
- Flip the West: postcarding, voter registration, and more, listed here
- Democracy Action’s calendar (search by location)
- West County Organizing: phone & text banks for state & special elections, in El Sobrante. Tuesdays, 1-3 PM, Saturdays from 11 AM-1 PM. Email Nancy for schedule & to RSVP.
We Could Not Make This Up
Alex, I’ll take “American geography” for 500: A wall built on Colorado’s southern border separates it from this political entity. No, contestant Donald, that would be New Mexico, NEW Mexico … no, we don’t use Sharpies here on Jeopardy … Space for 1000? This was the first year a woman went outside the space station … No, Donald, wrong again, not 2019, that was just the first time two women went together … Donald, we don’t use that hand gesture on Jeopardy! And speaking of Jeopardy-style questions: Hugh Hewitt, the Louisiana Purchase is certainly being reevaluated by history, but it was not a quid pro quo like selling our country to Ukraine. You lose.
Fired up to do more? Give us a shout!
- Volunteer with IEB or find out how we work: email@example.com
- Donate – keep the momentum going!
- Questions/comments about IEB: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Don’t miss an issue: subscribe to this newsletter!
- Questions/comments on the newsletter: email@example.com
IEB uses Slack, a chat system for talking about important issues, planning events, and team discussions. Want an invite to join Slack? Please drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org. Already on Slack? Feel free to contact our team leads:
- CA Senators: @ameliacass, @linh
- CA-11, Rep. DeSaulnier: @Kristen L, @Ted Lam
- CA-13, Rep. Lee: @linh
- CA-15, Rep. Swalwell: @ward
- Newsletter: @anngdan, @heidirand
- Volunteers: @andrea
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.