We hope you all, dear readers, have your lights on during these troubled times. Some good news: whether you’re in or out of PG&E’s “outage zone,” we’re full time in the Outrage Zone and we’ve got a slew of ways to show and grow our individual and collective power.
Here are some easy, important ways you can fight the Trump regime. We need your energy!
Action #1: Tick tock, knock knock!
Deadline: Yes, right NOW – We resisters DO chew gum & walk at the same time! As we push to impeach the Traitor-in-Chief and his minions (chew ’em up & spit ’em out), we also walk & knock doors to register voters, GOTV, and more! There are countless elections we must work on to flip it ALL from red 2 blue, and to defend the vulnerable and underserved. And it’s scary how quickly the months will pass before the March presidential primary and the moment of truth Nov. ’20 presidential election. See our article for events organized by IEB and by amazing local groups we work with. Whatever your skills or experience, no matter how much time you have, we all must do something, please help in any way you can!
Action #2: All for Kava-naught
Deadline: Don’t wait, the Court’s already in session – While Constitutional scholars try to tell the Dunce-in-Chief that Senators can’t be impeached, we note that federal judges CAN be. Brett Kavanaugh, we’re looking at you, time’s up. Our own Sen. Harris has called on the House Judiciary Committee to open an inquiry, saying it’s the only way to pursue the truth after the sham of his confirmation hearings. Rep. Ayanna Pressley introduced H.Res 560, which Rep. Barbara Lee has cosponsored. SCOTUS pocus, let’s end this mockery of justice – our article gives you easy ways to tell all our Members of Congress to support impeaching Kavanaugh.
Action #3: Hear ye? No, hear us!
Deadline: Sign up by next week – Hey, let’s put on a show! With folks from Indivisible SF and others, we’re going to write, perform, and videotape a model House Judiciary Committee impeachment hearing, to be held near the end of October. We want to show Congress what we need them to do: save the country! It’ll run like a real (if condensed) hearing, laying out the case with segments for each article of impeachment, and more. Roles of representatives and witnesses will be performed by… us! It takes a village to raze a childish, corrupt president – can you or people you know help? Read our article for lots more info, including the wide range of things you can do to join in, and sign up at this link.
State and Local News
Get yer Popcorn & Democracy right here!
If you hear the sound of pens scratching & popcorn popping, you’re probably at an IEB Postcarding Party! Led by super volunteer Joaninha, this dedicated group has diligently written for Reclaim Our Vote to GOTV in Virginia since July. On Monday, we wrote 190 cards to encourage underrepresented voters to to to the polls! For a $5 donation to our expenses for 10 postcards & stamps, please join us for one last push for VA on Monday, October 21 from 6:45-8:45 PM!
October Spooktacular AMM
Join our treats no tricks All Members Meeting, Oct. 27, 1-3 PM at Sports Basement, Berkeley. Bring all your ghoul-friends to hear updates & take action! Info & RSVP. Can’t make the meeting? Join us online, where we discuss, plan & organize — ask firstname.lastname@example.org for an invite to our Slack group!
Your donations to IEB support our actions against the Evil Empire but do not go to candidate-related events.
- Oct. 13, noon: Take to the Streets for Democracy, in San Francisco. Info & RSVP.
- Oct. 16, 7-8:30 PM: CA-11 team meeting, El Cerrito. Info & RSVP.
- Oct. 21, 6:45-8:45 PM: Popcorn & Postcarding, Glenview Dist, Oakland. RSVP for address.
- Oct. 27, 1-3 PM: IEB All Members Meeting, Sports Basement, Berkeley. Info & RSVP.
- Nov. 5, 6:30-9:30 PM: Join IB, IEB, East Bay Activist Alliance & SwingLeft EB at Election Night Watch Party for Virginia elections. At Spats, Berkeley. No RSVP needed.
IEB doesn’t necessarily endorse the groups, events, or candidates included here. Submit calendar events to email@example.com
- EVERY TUESDAY, 4:30-5:30 PM: Resistance Rally by Grand Lake Theater, Oakland
- EVERY THURSDAY, 5-6 PM: Table with Indivisible Resistance Action East Bay at Rockridge BART.
- Third Thurs each month, 4-6 PM: Indivisible El Sobrante / Richmond vigil, meet in El Sobrante, San Pablo Dam & Appian Way.
- Oct. 15, 4-8 PM: DemAction East Bay-Oakland Debate Watch Party. Everett & Jones, Oakland. Info & RSVP.
- Oct. 15, 4:30-7:30 PM: Presidential Debate Viewing & Discussion with Asm. Rob Bonta, Mills College. Free. Info & RSVP.
- Oct. 18, 8 PM (doors open 7 PM): 4th Annual Environmental Equity Summit: Adding Color to the Green Movement. In Berkeley. Info & RSVP.
- Oct. 27, 11:30 AM-1:30 PM: Movement Voter Project kickoff party. In Oakland. Info & RSVP. Free.
Phone! Canvass! More!
Check out phone & text banks, and much more, hosted by these great groups IEB works with:
- Swing Left East Bay phone banks, canvassing, more. See list here.
- East Bay Activist Alliance phone & text banks, more. See list & RSVP here
- Indivisible Berkeley phone & text banks
- Indivisible SF: phone banks, more.
- Flip the West: postcarding, voter registration, and more, listed here
- Democracy Action’s calendar (search by location)
- West County Organizing: phone & text banks for state & special elections, in El Sobrante. Tuesdays, 1-3 PM, some Saturdays from 11 AM-1 PM. Email Nancy for schedule & to RSVP.
We Could Not Make This Up
We don’t normally do this, but even in these abnormal times it’s been abnormally … yeah. Friends, our All-45 edition of WCNMTU! Yes, in his Great & Unmatched Wisdom, this week Current Occupant tried to create a constitutional provision to impeach Senators (Mitt, you’re safe in the one branch of gov’t we CAN’T impeach), and called for Adam Schiff to be arrested for treason. He also demanded that the whistleblower apologize to him “and stop this ridiculous impeachment!”; and said he won’t help the Kurds because they didn’t help us in WWII … makes us wonder how those next meetings with Germany, Austria, Italy and Japan are gonna go?
Fired up to do more? Give us a shout!
- Volunteer with IEB or find out how we work: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Donate – keep the momentum going!
- Questions/comments about IEB: email@example.com
- Don’t miss an issue: subscribe to this newsletter!
- Questions/comments on the newsletter: firstname.lastname@example.org
IEB uses Slack, a chat system for talking about important issues, planning events, and team discussions. Want an invite to join Slack? Please drop us a line at email@example.com. Already on Slack? Feel free to contact our team leads:
- CA Senators: @ameliacass, @linh
- CA-11, Rep. DeSaulnier: @Kristen L, @Ted Lam
- CA-13, Rep. Lee: @linh
- CA-15, Rep. Swalwell: @ward
- Newsletter: @anngdan, @heidirand
- Volunteers: @andrea
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.