Onward! I love this time of year when the pressure suddenly lets off some and you can clean up and make plans. There are lots of opportunities for joining actions and communities to make our work in 2023 go smoothly.
We are particularly excited that Virginia could pick up another State Senate seat this year, SD-7 with Democratic candidate Aaron Rouse on TUES, JAN 10, 2023. This is the vacated seat resulting from Jen Kiggans’ move to the US House. Aaron will be on Friday’s Power Lunch and has already gotten much support from the Virginia Beach Troops.
Join the UltraViolet team and add your name to the petition if you agree that Meta, which owns Facebook and Instagram, should not, under any circumstances exempt Donald Trump from rules like fact-checking.
Let Youngkin know that you do not appreciate the new SOLs with this one click action from Hamkae Center, which must be done by Today, Nov 17 at 9am!
Friday Power Lunch
Let’s Talk Turkey: “Outside the Box” Election Talk
11/18/2022, NOON ET
There are critical lessons to unpack about election 2022. What worked. What didn’t. And why. We are committed to learning the real lessons—not the group-think. With Thanksgiving just a week away, we are going to talk turkey about this election season with two “out of the box” thinkers.
Political branding strategist and election forecaster, Rachel Bitecofer—one of the few people who forecasted Democratic strength—will share what she saw throughout the campaign and what we need to know in order to win in 2023. As she puts it: “Defying expectations and killing the GOP’s midterm effect in 2022 gives us a honest chance to save democracy in 2024. It is the beginning of the fight, not the end.”
Analytic techniques and critical thinking expert Randy Pherson came on the show back in February and shared with us his thoughts on what might drive the election outcome from voting rights to the overturning of Roe v Wade He’s coming back to discuss how these drivers played out and what possibilities lay ahead.
The first election of 2023 for Virginia is a special election in January to fill the District 7 Senate Seat in Virginia Beach vacated by Jen Kiggans who beat Elaine Luria. Democratic candidate Aaron Rouse will be joining us to talk about this race and how Democrats can win!
Join DAD for their monthly breakfast featuring Post-Election Analysis with Jeremy Mayer PhD, Associate Professor & Director of the Political Science Doctoral & Master’s Program at the Schar School of Policy and Government at George Mason University.
GAP is the major convener, supporter, and coordinator of multiple grassroots groups in GA. They are in a unique position to determine priorities for the most effective action.
Monday, November 21, 2022• 7:00 PMYou & Your Finances: Maximizing Your Money’s Long-Term Growth
Starting your journey to achieving long-term and generational wealth does not need to be as intimidating as it seems. Join Certified Financial Literacy Instructor and Asset Protection Specialist, Frank Moseley II with APS Financial, Inc. in a webinar catered to individuals and families to take a closer look at how to reach financial freedom. Frank will discuss: Cutting Interest and Eliminating TaxesHow to make your money work for you! The Million Dollar BabyDebt Free for Life programs. Take control of your financial future by registering today.
Monday, November 28th, 7:00 pm.
Climate & Clean Energy Working Group Zoom Meeting – Guest Sen. Jennifer McClellan
Join the Virginia Grassroots Coalition’s Climate & Clean Energy Working Group for our General Assembly kickoff meeting. Questions? Contact Amy Bergner at firstname.lastname@example.org or Meredith Haines at email@example.com
All month long, NDTC programming is focused on equipping our teams with the best practices in debriefing. While things settle down, this is the prime opportunity to learn from the triumphs and challenges your campaign or local party faced along the way. Kelly Dietrich, NDTC Founder & CEO, will lead a discussion that relies on interactive participation from you – so bring your questions!
Thursday, Nov 17, 2022 06:30 PM Post-Election Update: What’s Next for Defending Abortion Rights?Join Planned Parenthood Advocates of Virginia as we discuss the results of the 2022 midterms and what’s next for defending abortion rights in Virginia. We will be discussing the key results from election night, as well as the upcoming Virginia legislative session in January, and the 2023 state legislature elections.
Fairfax County Government Center, Fairfax, VA 22035
The Fairfax County Democratic Committee is excited to host its first-ever candidate training! There are over 50 offices on the ballot in next year’s pivotal local and state elections, and the FCDC is committed to preparing Democratic candidates with the skills they need to effectively run their campaigns. The training will consist of discussion sessions led by notable current and former elected officials and campaign staff. Discussion session topics include: 1) Setting up your campaign committee, 2) Qualifying for the ballot, 3) Political fundraising, 4) Messaging …and much more! Don’t miss out on this opportunity to get your campaign off to a great start! First-time candidates are encouraged to attend. If you were elected to your first term in 2020 or 2021, you are welcome to attend this training.
Vienna Community Center, 120 Cherry Street, SE, Vienna
Please join Senate President Pro Tempore Louise Lucas, House Minority Leader Don Scott and others for a campaign launch and rally in support of Holly Seibold for Delegate.
The Commonwealth Institute’s Annual Policy Summit Collaboratory of VA, Richmond
Join TCI’s Annual Policy Summit to discuss important updates and recent changes in state policy, what to expect in the 2023 General Assembly legislative session, and how we can all advocate for a Virginia where everyone can thrive, no exceptions.
This event is pivotal for advocates and communities across the commonwealth as we come together to learn from each other, gain new skills, grow our advocacy, and strengthen our voices to advance critical policy solutions in Virginia.
Join RASR for a discussion on marijuana and how it impacts the minority communities, to include legalization, growing, and the impact on minority communities. Guests include Virginia State Senator Adam Ebbin, who has advocated for the decentralization and legalization of marijuana for many years and has also proposed legislative changes; JM Pedini, Development Director of NORML and continues to work on establishing a fair and equitable adult-use cannabis regulatory structure prioritizing consumer safety; and Paul McLean, Executive Director for the Virginia Minority Cannabis Coalition working to achieve social equity through economic development.
THINGS YOU CAN DO FOR GEORGIA
- Activate America has launched their GA postcarding effort. Sign up here. (You must supply your own postcards.)
- Center for Common Ground/Reclaim Our Vote has 879,000 addresses of consistent/reliable Black voters in Georgia available. YOU NEED TO USE THEIR CARDS so build in time to order them. The postcards need to be mailed by November 23. To get background and sign up to write postcards go here.
- Postcards To Voters now has a writing campaign for Warnock in GA.If you are an approved writer text HELLO to (484) 275-2229 or message HELLO to Abby the Address Bot or send an email to: Request@AbbyAddresses.org. Not yet approved and ready to join Postcards To Voters? Text JOIN to (484) 275-2229 or send an email to: Join@TonyTheDemocrat.org (You must supply your own postcards.)
- Vote Forward has launched letter writing into Georgia! Read instructions and guidelines here and then sign up here!
- Demcast has a Georgia runoff social media toolkit! They will be updating it regularly. Use it to easily amplify this race on any of your social media platforms. Find it here, it’s easy to use and you can help keep Warnock’s race topical.
- Activate America will be holding a GA textbank on November 29th. Sign up here.
- Working Families Party has text banking for the runoffs every Tuesday! Sign up here.
Making Phone Calls
- Activate America will be hosting phone banks on Sun, Mon, and Wed. Get involved by signing up here. Additional shifts will be available as they add new phone bank hosts.
- Center For Common Ground has guided phonebanks into GA every Tuesday and Thursday. Sign up here.
- Out of state and want to go knock doors in GA? Sign up here to knock doors with the GA Dems!
- Donate directly to the Rev. Warnock’s campaign here.
- Movement Voter Fund is raising money for the GA runoffs—specifically for their amazing partner group, Georgia Alliance for Progress, who will quickly deploy funds to the field. Donate at Movement.vote/GA
- Donate (via Flip the Vote) to the GA-based Asian American Advocacy Fund (AAAF), to raise the $500,000 it needs to fully execute its plan to engage and turn out Democratic Asian American and Pacific Islander voters. 100% of funds given go to the AAAF.
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.