Hi, Indivisible Venturans!
Keep ahead of us at tinyurl.com/VC-events!
Sunday – 06/19/2022 – VENTURA – “Drag Queen Bingo” (4:00 pm – 7:00 pm PT) Paddy’s Lounge, 2 West Main St., Ventura 93001
“Join us June 19th at 4pm for an evening of drag bingo, fabulous raffle prizes and fun hosted by the wonderful Cooper. The evening will benefit Mission Fish who provides therapy through fishing to America’s brave and courageous: veterans, active duty, first responders and gold star families, all at no cost to them.”
Sunday – 06/26/2022 – OXNARD – “Swap Meet Justice Citizenship, Family Resource and Expungement Clinic” (9:00 pm – 3:00pm PT) Oxnard College, 4000 S. Rose Avenue, near the gym.
Please advertise this event to those in your social media who are eligible to get any version of the COVID vaccine (1st, 2nd, or either booster). Disability Rights California is providing funding for a $50 gift card and a voucher for a lunch at the Swap Meet to the first 300 people who get vaccinated at the clinic at our fair, that day. No rain-checks.
This is a PER-PERSON offer, not per family! It is FIRST COME – FIRST SERVED. Youngest age is 12 years old. People do not need to be county residents, or documented. The County asks that people bring a form of documentation that has their name on it, which doesn’t have to be a government issued one, and proof of age.
This amazing giveaway is in addition to our normal free monthly resources available to the community, which are listed on our new website!: swapmeetjustice.org
March For Our Lives – Actions to take after the march!
UPDATE: These bills need a last push to get to Governor Newsom’s desk! Email this weekend. Call your senator on Monday.
Minimal call script to state senators: I’m calling from [zip code] and I want Senator [___] to support bills to reduce gun violence. Are you ready to take down a list?: (just read the black lettering)
- AB 1769 – Firearms: prohibited places – authored by Assemblymember Steve Bennett & Senator Monique Limón, would ban gun shows at the Ventura County Fairgrounds.
- AB2552: – Firearms: gun shows and events. This bill is critical; we have the data to prove the need for DOJ to be mandated to provide more oversight of gun shows.The California Department of Justice is not currently mandated by law to engage in proper and sufficient inspections of gun shows.
- AB 2156 Firearm Manufacturing -This bill would close loopholes that currently allow individuals and corporations to manufacture large numbers of firearms without complying with standard manufacturer requirements.
- AB 2239 10-Year Gun Ban Expansion – This bill adds additional misdemeanors to the list of crimes for which the 10-year ban from owning or possessing firearms applies.
- State Senator Monique Limón (SD-19): sd19.senate.ca.gov/contact, SAC (916) 651-4019, SB (805) 965-0862, OX (805)988-1940
- State Senator Henry Stern (SD-27): sd27.senate.ca.gov/contact, SAC (916) 651-2027, Calabasas (818) 876-3352
- Not your people? Which assemblymember/state senator is mine?:findyourrep.legislature.ca.gov.
UPDATE: “A bipartisan group of senators unveiled an agreement on principle for gun safety legislation.” Nothing is done until it’s on Biden’s desk, and even then, a lot of important stuff was left out!
What happens AFTER the march is critical – this is where we convince our legislators that we will not forget and we will not let up – where we commit to transforming Saturday’s energy into a sustained campaign of demands that they make substantive changes on gun safety laws.
Our goal – make mass shootings, gun suicides and accidental gun discharges by young children the rare and horrible events they should be and not just another day in America.
Trump left corruption behind him. Let’s remove at least one part of it. Deadline for comments – June 21st.
Like an archeological dig, the sedimentary corruption of the Trump administration will probably take years to fully dig up and remove, layer by layer. We get to comment on one such layer now…a duplicious “fix-it” regulation proposed by the Trump-nominated director of Government Ethics, Edmond Rounds. This will literally take 3 minutes to do.
If you love California’s trees, call your Assembly Member to vote NO on SB 396 (Vote is MONDAY!)
Call your assemblymember today and Monday morning. Email over the weekend. SB-396 is a bad bill, based on old assumptions about forest fires and driven by economic profits for investor-owned utilities.
We know now that wiping out swaths of trees under power lines causes wind tunnels, and “thinning” trees dries out everything underneath – both conditions making fires hotter and more destructive. Instead of giving investor-owned utilities even more authority to wipe out tees, let’s required them to do what science suggests – improve their own equipment and cables. POST: https://indivisibleventura.org/2022/06/17/if-you-love-californias-trees-call-your-assembly-member-to-vote-no-on-sb-396-vote-is-this-monday/
PHONEBANKS, TEXT BANKS, POSTCARDS
Sunday – 06/19/2022 – ONLINE LETTER WRITING – “Write Letters for Beto” (12:30 pm – 2:00 pm PT)
Sign up here to join a Beto for Texas Letter Writing Party!
Letter Writing parties are a great opportunity to meet other Beto for Texas volunteers and get trained on our letter writing process. After a brief training, we’ll all write letters together!
Facebook link: https://www.mobilize.us/betofortexas/event/427673/JOIN THE POSTCARD BRIGADE!!
You Can Make a Difference! Do you want to help Democrats win in the 2022 elections? You can write Get Out The Vote (GOTV) postcards to help get Democratic voters to the polls! Studies have shown that receiving a colorful postcard with a short punchy message is the most effective way to persuade a voter to get to the polls.
One of Indivisible Ventura’s members is working with Postcards to Swing States (PSS) to coordinate GOTV postcarding focused on Senate races in swing states. PSS identifies the campaigns, writes the message, and provides the voter names and addresses. She will provide the cards and, if needed, the stamps.
If you want to participate, please send an email to her at firstname.lastname@example.org. She will add you to her writer roster and email you a description of the campaigns she is currently running. You decide which campaigns you want to join and specify the number of cards you want. If you live locally, you may collect your supplies from her address in Ventura. She can also will snail mail your packet to you.
Resist every damn day!
– Debby Millais, Postcard Wrangler
Please DONATE to the cause!
Indivisible Ventura is completely volunteer run and your donation will support the direct costs of organizing in Ventura — things like expenses for Swap Meet Justice, posters, art supplies, stamps, transportation, and more! Although we’ve defeated Trump and taken back the Senate, we have to act urgently to save our democracy and enact other desperately needed reforms. Getting it done depends on all of us. Let’s stand together, indivisible. Indivisible Ventura is one of 6,000 grassroots Indivisible groups across the country. Together, we will win. (https://secure.actblue.com/donate/ven383907253)
The usual caveats…
Keep ahead of us on our calendar scroll here: tinyurl.com/VC-events
• If we screw up a link, our apologies. You can find the original post here: tinyurl.com/VC-events
• We’re putting up information on local protests and actions by others we’re finding from informal sources. These listings are not endorsements nor guarantees as to time/place/type of protest or participant safety. Events can and have already been cancelled without notice.
• Check ahead for future events there as well. We often miss morning event postings.
• If we screw up or miss information about an event, please send an email to email@example.com.
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.