Posted by Stephanie Wilson, 3 min
This week, we at More Perfect Democracy (MPD) recommend focusing on corporate record profits and CEO promises to raise prices in your social media advocacy. These rising prices are not the result of inflation: they’re deliberate policies designed to make the corporations and their CEOs wealthier, and they make it more difficult for the rest of us to afford to support our families. We also focus on accountability for The Former Guy (TFG) and his administration.
This last week, TFG’s accounting firm, Mazar, stated that 10 years of financial documents could no longer be relied upon. Translation: We lied for Trump but we are not going to take the fall for him and are now cooperating with law enforcement. We also learned that TFG took boxes and boxes of presidential records to Mar-a-Lago, including some that were top secret. The mishandling of classified documents is a felony, so here it is important to talk about MAGA or Far Right Republicans being anti-America and attacking the United States at every turn.
Russia is also expected to invade Ukraine this week, and the Biden administration is doing amazing work on diplomacy with our allies. BUT foreign policy does not move people in domestic elections, so do not focus on it in your advocacy. Unfortunately, there is no upside.
We have some great content from members of our Meme Team, which I will share below. This week’s Messaging Monday and Meme Team Tuesday are CANCELED because of school vacation week. We will see you again on February 28.
- Find Instagram-sized content here in our Graphics Library.
- Download the content above and post to Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, or another platform of your choice. (Click on the image to enlarge, then right click/double finger click to “save image as”). Everything you see here is free and open source.
- Commit to stop refuting Republican messaging with their own words. It is time to flip the conversation to our own ground and to start talking about Democrats delivering or Republicans criming. Don’t like, retweet, or comment on Republican content online—screenshot if you must.
As you find quality content online, please share it on social media, post it in our slack, or DM it to me in Twitter (@moreperfectdem1). If you are not yet a member of our slack, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or DM me in Twitter and I’ll get you an invitation. If you are a member of the Twitter DM rooms, please share it in there so we can all amplify.
Mark your calendar
- THIS WEEK CANCELED. Every Monday we meet for Messaging Mondays to discuss the week’s priorities and messaging. Please Join us! Register here.
- THIS WEEK CANCELED. Every Tuesday we meet for Meme Team Tuesdays to create messages and memes to be shared on social media. Please join us! No experience is required. Register here.
- Tuesday March 1 is a Messaging Huddle with the Media and Democracy Project. Register here.
Watch, listen, read, and follow
Watch: The Mehdi Hasan Show segment wherein Anat Shenker-Osorio explains how to talk about Far Right Republican attacks on education.
Listen: Listen to the podcast Future Hindsight. Interview with Anat Shenker-Osorio on winning messages.
Read: New York Times, “Business Booms at Kroger-Owned Grocery Stores, but Workers Are Left Behind.” 2/12/22 (article should be free to access without subscription)
We keep moving. Midterms are in November (with primaries before then), and together we can help Democrats win more elections at every level. We have succeeded before, and we can do it again if we work together.
Check out our new resources page for tip sheets, messaging guidance, Canva how-to’s, Canva templates, and more! Keep coming back for updates. Get started with the following tip sheets for Twitter and Facebook.
- Twitter Twips and Twicks will help you create, curate, and circulate content effectively. Feel free to download it and pass it around as much as you like.
- Facebook Fun Facts will show you how to use groups to maximize engagement on Facebook.
Email Stephanie at email@example.com.
Sign up for this newsletter if you received it from a friend or saw it on social media.
Please chip in a few dollars to fund our work.
We’re working hard to create content and amplify it to help blue candidates in November. We are all volunteers and need funds for subscriptions to bring you better content. Can you chip in $5 today?
Thank you for reading our newsletter and following our social media. We hope you’ll share our content or join our team. If you have trouble downloading the content here, you can access it through our image gallery, Facebook, or Twitter.
Contact Stephanie Gerber Wilson, PhD., Founder: firstname.lastname@example.org.
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.