News from the Coconino County Democratic Party
February 1, 2021
- Not an “Off Year” — a Building Year
- Calendar of Coconino County Democratic Party
- Monthly Action Meetings
- Act on the Work of our Legislative Committee!
- 21st Annual Roosevelt Kennedy Fundraiser
- LatinX and Indigenous Voters
- State Party News
- In Case You Missed These
- We Need Your Help
- Here’s How to Reach Your Ex Com Members
Not an “Off Year” — a Building Year
Winning in 2020 was great! But now is not the time to rest if we want to continue progress. There are a number of actions you can take in the coming weeks and months to stay engaged:
- Pay attention to the news and take action! (Follow posts from our Legislative Committee.)
- Hold your elected officials accountable for promises made on the campaign trail and push them in the direction of progress by calling and emailing their offices.
- Volunteer with our County Democratic party (Here)
- Develop your skills — watch the offerings from our Education Committee. Attend and learn. If you don’t see what you need, let us know.
- Watch for calls to action related to Redistricting — these are likely to come out with short windows of time for response. If you haven’t attended an ADP redistricting info session, plan to do so this month. Then watch for our notices.
- Respond to calls and emails from your Regional Captains — community organizing doesn’t take a year off!
- If you are able, donate to local candidates or to our party. In fact, donations to state and local candidates and county parties are often far more valuable than donations in presidential or federal elections. Donate here.
Monthly Action Meetings
Over 70 PCs and volunteers joined us for our first Coconino Democratic Action Meeting in January. We heard from Attorney January Contreras and received information on the Redistricting process. Our monthly Action Meetings are open to all Democrats and like-minded Independents and happen on the second Saturday of each month. We especially encourage all Precinct Committee persons to attend every meeting.
Our next meeting is Saturday, February 13, 10 am-noon. We have two guest speakers plus an update on Redistricting and a Legislative Update.
Congressman Tom O’Halleran will join us to talk about the status of the Biden/Harris agenda and other activities in the House of Representatives.
Secretary of State Katie Hobbs will share her perspective on the 2020 Election, and more!
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 840 7497 9496
One tap mobile
+16699006833,,84074979496# US (San Jose)
+12532158782,,84074979496# US (Tacoma)
Act on the Work of our Legislative Committee!
Every Sunday afternoon a large group of Precinct Committee people and volunteers meets under the leadership of our Legislative Chair Darrell Boomgaarden to discuss the results of their research into current activities in the Legislature, Congress, at the County, and at the City of Flagstaff. This is a hard-working group!
Late Sunday afternoon, we post the Committee’s “Legislative Alerts” (usually two posts — one for the Legislature and one for the others). Use this information to call and email your representatives and to stay informed as you talk with your friends and neighbors. Check out the latest Action Alerts.
21st Annual Roosevelt Kennedy Fundraiser
We invite you to help drive Arizona into the Blue with our 21 days for the 2021 Roosevelt-Kennedy Fundraiser beginning March 21 and ending with a Grand Finale virtual event on April 11.
For 20 years the Roosevelt Kennedy Dinner has been a highlight of the year for Coconino Democrats and a major source of funding for our operations. Last year, our dinner event plans had to be canceled because of the pandemic but our Committee and supporters rallied to create a successful fund drive. Sadly, we need to stay virtual this year. The good news is that we have more time to plan and we’ll tailor the event to the constraints of our on-going virtual lives. This will be fun and remember it’s our major single-source of county party funding!
Watch for more details coming soon!
LatinX and Indigenous Voters
Our LatinX and Indigenous Voter Committees have each held several meetings in the last two months. If you are interested in being involved, please contact Aubrey Sonderegger, who is our Executive Committee liaison to both committees. email@example.com – 928-699-3665.
Latinx Voter Committee Chair Sarah Benatar arranged a highly informative conversation with Dr. Susan Lopez and Prof. Stephan Nuno concerning the COVID vaccines and the disparate impact Latinos are experiencing in the pandemic. You can view this on our YouTube channel. It was originally broadcast live on our LatinX Voter Facebook Page.
State Party News
The Arizona Democratic Party held its biennial Reorganization meeting on Saturday, January 23. It was somewhat overshadowed by the Republican debacle occurring at the same time, which resulted in the re-election of Radical Right Republican Chair Kelli Ward and the censuring of Cindi McCain and Doug Ducey. Many of us attended the 7-hour Democratic Zoom marathon, where we elected a new Chair and other officers and passed four resolutions.
Rep. Raquel Terán is our state party’s new chair after garnering 75% of the votes. Terán is the state representative for Legislative District 30 in the Phoenix area. She’s a self-identified progressive with roots in community organizing. She’s just what we need at this critical time to turn Arizona from purple to blue!
Among other state officers elected is our own Ann Heitland, Senior Vice-Chair. (Ann remains Chair of our County Party.)
Resolutions adopted by the 800-plus member State Committee were:
- Urging Democratic Sens. Kyrsten Sinema and Mark Kelly to vote to convict former President Donald Trump for incitement of insurrection at the Senate’s upcoming impeachment trial and urged the resignation of all four of Arizona’s Republican members of Congress, in part for challenging the results of the presidential election.
- Declared racism a public health emergency
- Opposed Trump’s border wall
- Called for “restoration of integrity” in the federal judiciary
In Case You Missed These Our newly-minted State Senator Wing-Nut Wendy Rogers is the subject of an ethics complaint.
Open Letter to Senators Sinema and KellyBlackman and Barton Clueless About the Constitution50 Things That Are Better AlreadyDemocrats Battle for DemocracyWorst Economic Year Since 1946
Watch Our Latest News, Legislative Alerts, Facebook Posts, and Tweets on the homepage of our website: CoconinoDemocrats.org
We Need Your Help
Our strategic plan for 2022 is to engage with voters and non-voters NOW. We need your help to support our operations this year!
Or, send a check to Coconino County Democratic Party, POB 701, Flagstaff, AZ 86002.
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.