IC-SS Weekly Update: October 5, 2020
Zoom with Us: Oct 8 &14, 7:30 pm
Connect – exchange opportunities to act – write Vote Forward letters – learn from expert activists.
RSVP here for one or both of our October Zooms: Thursday October 8 and Wednesday, Oct 14, at the usual start time of 7:30 pm. We’ll be writing Vote Forward letters, and Steve Kagan will be on hand to answer questions. But please join us even if you aren’t writing. We’ll be sharing election info and other opportunities to act.
SPECIAL GUEST OCTOBER 8: Nick Uniejewski, Senior Regional Organizer, Indivisible, will fill us in on the national organization’s efforts to elect Joe Biden and progressive Democrats – and protect the election results. Find out how you can join the effort!
Let’s stay strong together as we count down to November 3! RSVP here
Oct 10: Call for Change with National Indivisible
Join Indivisibles across the Midwest for Calling for Change: Indivisible Phonebank – with Bingo! This online event will feature guest speakers, highlights from our groups, and a full 2 hours of phonebanking to one of the most important swing states in the country, Wisconsin. Saturday, October 10th, 4:00-7:00 pm Chicago time. RSVP for this phonebank here.
Show Up for Marie Newman
Help progressive Democrat Marie Newman win the seat in Congress for IL’s 3rd district.
Marie Newman will fight for healthcare for all, lower prescription drug costs, paid leave, universal childcare, a jobs engine, protection and advancement of everybody’s rights, investment in infrastructure, and a green economy looking to the future. We need her in Congress.
Vote YES for Fair Tax
Indivisible Chicago-South Side is a supporter of the Fair Tax because it would allow for a graduated Illinois income tax, with the wealthy paying a higher rate than the rest of us Fair Tax reform would raise more than $3 billion a year that would help fund state and local government, schools and human services, and responsibly pay the state’s bills.
At our September 29 Zoom, special guest Mina Patel, Events Organizer for Vote Yes for Fair Tax, gave an informative presentation on the Fair Tax measure that appears on our Illinois ballot.
Fair Tax: Learn More – Do More
- Watch IC-South Side’s recording of Mina Patel’s presentation: Vote Yes for Fair Tax (~15 minutes)
- Watch the Fair Tax explainer video (~1 minute)
- Fill in the individual Fair Tax Endorsement form
- Volunteer to call voters, host a house party, or write a letter to the editor: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Set up a Fair Tax virtual presentation for another group you belong to: email@example.com
- Download the OutVote App to connect with the people in your network. Enter Campaign Code 831970
- Spread the word on social media: Yes for Fair Tax on Facebook + Twitter @yesforfairtax
- Phonebank with Indivisible Chicago for the Fair Tax on Sunday, Oct 11th, 2:00-4:00 pm. Sign up here.
Notes on Voting
Voting for Judges
Want info on the judges who appear on your ballot? VoteforJudges.org provides recommendations from 13 different bar groups.
The Chicago Board of Elections (for city voters) and Cook County Clerk (for suburban) are encouraging people to vote by mail. In Chicago and in suburban Cook County, you can directly drop off your mail-in ballot in a Secured Drop Box.
When it comes to in-person voting, our election authorities recommend early voting over Election Day voting. Get info on Drop Boxes for and Early Voting here:
- Drop Box Info – Chicago
- Drop Box Info – Suburban Cook
- Early Voting Info – Chicago
- Early Voting Info – Suburban Cook
More questions? See Indivisible IL’s Virus Free Voting Illinois webpage.
Turn In Your Postcards This Week!
If you received your postcards from Indivisible Chicago-South Side, (via Esther Peters or Betsy Rubin), then:
- You’ll need to return them to us in batches of 100 along with the address sheets THIS WEEK.
- To arrange, you can reply to the earlier emails that you got from Esther or Betsy OR let us know right here.
What if you didn’t finish? That’s OK! Let us pick up the ones you did.
NOTE: If you received your cards from a different group or if the postcards were shipped to you in the mail, then please refer to the instructions that accompanied your order.
Phonebank with Indivisible Chicago
You can make a difference by phoning voters in Michigan, Wisconsin, and the 14th Congressional district in Illinois. The citywide Indivisible Chicago Alliance provides opportunities to act throughout the week – safely from home.
Findopportunities that fit your schedule: 3 States 1 Mission initiative. Indivisible Chicago provides training and support for both novice and experienced callers.
PS If you’ve already been trained in text-banking, there are texting opportunities too.
Vote Forward: Sign Up Now!
Want to keep writing to voters in these last weeks before the election? SIGN UP NOW for Vote Forward. Be ready to mail YOUR letters on October 17th.
IC-SS member Steve Kagan has described the Vote Forward process:
- Have on hand a printer, paper, envelopes, stamps, and a pen.
- Print out a pre-written letter for each voter on your list.
- Customize the letter by writing what motivates you to vote.
- Sign each letter, seal it in an envelope, stamp, and address (using a Vote Forward return address).
- Save the finished envelopes until specified mailing date in October.
Sign up NOW with Vote Forward so you can be ready to write with us during our October 8 and 14 Zooms – and make a difference in November.
Indivisible Chicago-South Side
Indivisible Chicago South Side · 5476 S. Harper Ave · Chicago, Il 60615
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.