Check out all our “Watch Party” videos here.
- Today’s MOST SHAREABLE: “What defund the police” really means.
- Favorite: A violinist transfixes riot police at a peaceful protest for Elijah McClain.
- Recently added: Suppressed: The Fight to Vote – Full Film.
- Racial Justice resources here. Extensive BLM resources, including donation sites, onlines classes, Black-owned businesses, reading/watching lists and more.
- DACA: Go here for more information on latest ruling and what to do now. Free Citizenship fair on 7/26 an OXNARD COLLEGE.
- Community resources here. Volunteer opportunities, donations, food banks.
- County information here: Free antibody testing info., safety net resources, mortgage/rent assistance, etc..
- Emergency information: Emergency Preparedness Guide,
- Coronavirus : information, stats, tracker: here.
- Advisory: Masks are required in CA. Specific instructions here.
- Help us update info: Send “EVENT” in email header here.
“Freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; It must be demanded by the oppressed.” ~ MLK
- We’re putting up information on local protest sand actions by others we’re finding from informal sources. These listings are not endorsements nor guarantees as to time/place/type of protest or participant safety. Events can and have already been cancelled without notice.
- Protest safely in the time of pandemic and police overreaction: Go here for resources on camera apps, equipment, what to know if you’re stopped by police.
Wednesday 7/1- Twitterstorm alert- (11am- 1pm PST)
Last Chance Alliance calls for a twitterstorm on July 1st to demand that California #EndDependence on harmful fossil fuels that pollute Black and Brown communities and destroy our climate future.
Join us on Twitter on July 1st at 11 AM – 1 PM PT for a twitterstorm to EndDependence on fossil fuels.
Together, we are calling on Governor Newsom (Tweet @GavinNewsom) to phase out fossil fuel production in California. Access the full social media toolkit at End-Dependence.org. To join us, visit end-dependence.org or this link for our social media toolkit!
Wednesday 7/1- ONLINE -Diversity Collective Ventura County Rainbow Unbrella Presents: Black Lives Matter. (3pm- 5pm PST)
Wednesday 7/1 – VENTURA – FATHER SERRA STATUE – Historic Preservation Committee – Virtual community discussion (6pm)
“The Historic Preservation Committee (HPC) wil …host a special public meeting on Wednesday, July 1, 2020, at 6 p.m. to review the landmark status of the 1989 Father Serra Statue located in front of City Hall.
- Share written responses online by visiting www.CityofVentura.ca.gov/PublicInput. All written responses will be shared with the City Council. Please select “Public Input: Father Serra Statue” for the topic.
- Watch and participate in the Historic Preservation Committee (HPC) public meeting on Wednesday, July 1, 2020, at 6:00 p.m. This meeting will review the landmark status of the 1989 Father Serra Statue located in front of City Hall. The HPC will not discuss if the statue should be retained or removed from its present location. To read the HPC agenda or watch the meeting, click here to see HPC’s Meeting Agenda.
- To Join the Hearing Live: The virtual meeting will be held on WebEx Events. You can join the hearing as it is occurring by clicking the following link: here.
- Learn more at www.cityofventura.ca.gov/FatherSerra.
VCStar article here: “The recommendation stems from an assessment by Historic Resources Group, a Pasadena consulting firm that specializes in historic preservation issues. The group’s report, dated Thursday, covers the statue’s history and explains why it does not meet various eligibility requirements to be deemed a landmark…The consulting firm’s report notes that because the new statue is less than 40 years old, it doesn’t meet the usual threshold for historic designation in Ventura.”
Wednesday 7/1: OXNARD ONLINE – Community Meeting – A Virtual Panel Discussion on Racism and Policing. A special meeting of the Oxnard City Council. (6 – 8 pm)
Register here to participate in this virtual meeting.Please see this attached agenda (07.01.2020 Town Hall Agenda) for this special town hall meeting on July 1st, 6-8 PM.The meeting will be broadcast live on the city’s website, the city’s YouTube Channel, Spectrum channel 10, and Frontier channel 35.The public may also provide comments to the City via email at email@example.com no later than 3:00 p.m. on the day of the meeting. Please identify the meeting date and agenda item in the Subject line.For assistance, please contact the City Clerk’s office at 805-385-7803.
For “Actions Happening Soon”, continue down past “Petitions”
Calls for Justice!
Action #1: Call your Senators and demand they cosponsor S.631 – Washington DC Admission Act
Watch this video first!
HR 51/S.631are bills that reaffirm American democracy’s promise that ALL people have a say in our federal government by extending that right to the last group of people have been denied it. 700,000 Americans who live in the District of Columbia lack a voting representative in the House and have no representation in the Senate at all.
Note to Rep. Mo Brooks (R-AL): There is no direct comparison in the nonsense you speak. Jefferson County, Alabama already has both a voting House member and 2 senators to represent their interests. That DC’s population is treated as a stateless city is what is “nuts.” Please find a 5th grader to explain this to you.
However, his rant reminds us that racist politicians have prevented D.C. from becoming a state to prevent D.C.’s Black residents, who comprise just under half the popultion, from building political power. If D.C. is granted statehood, it will be the only state in the nation to have a plurality of Black residents. HR 51 passed in the House, the first time in history. Now we need the Senate to do it’s job.
Senator-check here: Both Feinstein and Harris are supporters. Ask your friends in Red states to call their senators and tell them to do the right thing.
Minimal script for supportive senators: I’m calling from [zip code] and I want to thank Senator [___] for their support of S.631 – Washington DC Admission Act.
Minimal script for GOP senators: I’m calling from [zip code] and I want Senator [___] to support S.631– Washington DC Admission Act. It’s time to uphold the true meaning of patriotism by extending the full rights of American citizenship to the residents of Washington DC.
Action #2: Call your senators and demand vote “NO” on S.4049 – the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA).
This video came out in 2008. The economic costs described here were horrifying, but the 2020 update is even more so. What if a fraction of this money spent on death and destruction was used for developing green industries and jobs, universal health care, equitable housing and education?
This year’s GOP version – S.4049 – the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), continues to increase the military budget, renews the 1033 program which militarizes local police forces with cast-off combat equipment, fails to do anything effective to bring to an end our endless-wars, fails to hold the Pentagon accountable for how it spends or wastes our tax-dollars, and ignores the climate crisis that alarms our military professionals.
This is a “must pass” bill, and as such, our senators have the power to fight for something better. Much, much better. We need an NDAA that cuts defense spending, addresses climate change with the urgency it deserves, ends police militarization, adds accountability to stimulus spending, and more.
Minimal script: I’m calling from [zip code] and I want to Senator [___] to vote”No” on S.4049 – the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA).
Senator Feinstein: email, DC (202) 224-3841, LA (310) 914-7300, SF (415) 393-0707, SD (619) 231-9712, Fresno (559) 485-7430
and Senator Harris: email, DC (202) 224-3553, LA (213) 894-5000, SAC (916) 448-2787, Fresno (559) 497-5109, SF (415) 355-9041, SD (619) 239-3884
Who is my representative/senator?: hq-salsa.wiredforchange.com
For more information and scripts, go here.
Contact information for officials, from city to the feds, here.
- Bounty-Hunting: What are they going to do about reports that Trump ignored or dismissed Putin-funded Taliban bounty-hunting?
- Rent is due on July 1st, and millions won’t be able to pay. Pass “HR 7301″ – Emergency Housing Protections and Relief Act of 2020”
- Stop Water Shutoffs!: Send a letter to your Senators today demanding a nationwide moratorium on water shutoffs.
- No more Tear Gas!: Call your legislators to make one’s right to protest safe from chemical warfare.”YES” on H.R. 7221 – “To prohibit law enforcement officers from using chemical weapons in the course of policing activities, and for other purposes.”
- Poor People’s Campaign: Call your legislators to enact the planks of the Poor People’s Campaign
- #Juneteenth – No more Excuses – Time to make Juneteenth a nation holiday. “YES” on HR 7232!
- Yes on Reparations study: CALL ACTION #2: It’s past time to make amends! “YES” on HR 40/S.1038 – Commission to Study and Develop Reparation Proposals for African Americans Act.
- No more contributions from law enforcement unions
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.