FALSE GOP SPIN: You can’t impeach a president if there’s not a crime.
- RESPONSE: First, this is a moot point because an independent watchdog, the Government Accountability Office (GAO), reviewed the evidence and determined that Donald Trump broke the law when he withheld military aid to Ukraine to pressure them to interfere in the 2020 election.
Second, it’s also been debunked by Senator Lindsey Graham, constitutional lawyer and House GOP witness Jonathan Turley, and current Trump defense team member Alan Dershowitz, all of whom confirmed that a crime does not need to be committed to constitute a high crime.
FALSE GOP SPIN: The House should have gone through the courts to force witnesses like former National Security Advisor John Bolton to testify during the impeachment hearings.
- RESPONSE: Trump’s Department of Justice is arguing in court right now that the House is not allowed to enforce any subpoenas in the courts. They can’t simultaneously argue that the House should have gone to court months ago when they are also arguing that they don’t have a right to go to court.
FALSE GOP SPIN: If the Senate tried to compel testimony from key witnesses like John Bolton and Acting White House Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney, the White House would claim executive privilege and tie them up for months!
- RESPONSE: Unlike in the House, a court fight is unlikely now. Trump administration officials that receive subpoenas from a bipartisan majority of the Senate that are signed by the Chief Justice are expected to comply. In the case of John Bolton, he has already announced he would testify if the Senate issued a subpoena.
Listen to Rep. Adam Schiff debunk the “executive privilege” canard here:
FALSE GOP SPIN: There is no new evidence.
- RESPONSE: It’s outrageous for Republican senators to simultaneously claim that there is no new evidence when on Tuesday they voted to block all new evidence.
FALSE GOP SPIN: Removal is about overturning the results of the 2016 election.
- RESPONSE: This is absolutely, without question, completely and utterly false. This is about stopping Donald Trump from breaking the law and cheating in the 2020 election by using military aid to pressure Ukraine to interfere in the 2020 election.
Reposted from Impeachment HQ with permission
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.