U.S. Sen. Josh Hawley on Monday visited striking autoworkers, where he called himself “pro-worker” and encouraged higher pay for autoworkers.
Hawley has a 0% agreement rating in the most recent United Auto Workers Labor Union scorecard and an 11% approval rating in the government employees’ labor union, the AFL-CIO — slightly lower than the average Senate Republican.
Hawley took stances in recent years that were frequently counter to the positions held by organized labor. Before joining the Senate in 2019, he indicated support for a “right to work” law that would have allowed Missouri workers to reap the benefits of a union-negotiated contract without having to pay union fees, and he opposed a statewide minimum wage hike. Missouri voters rejected the former and approved the latter in 2018. Read more at Saint Louis Post-Dispatch
Exciting news! Response for the 2023 Truman Dinner has been overwhelming and the event is now sold out! Thank you to everyone that has supported our largest event of the year and we are looking forward to seeing you all on Wednesday.
The 2023 DNC Fall Meeting, October 5-7 at the Marriott St. Louis Grand Hotel These meetings are open to all Democrats The DNC kindly asks that you let them know if you will be attending the meeting so that they can better plan for your arrival
You can register here: Fall 2023 DNC Meeting Registration Form
Autoworkers union may expand its strike again
The United Auto Workers union is preparing to announce a possible expansion of its strike against General Motors, Stellantis and maybe Ford this Friday if there isn’t more progress in talks, a union source familiar with plans said Wednesday.
UAW President Shawn Fain is set to update members on the state of the negotiations at 10 am Friday. If the union decides there has not been enough progress in the talks, it will announce new targets for the strike at that time, and UAW members at those facilities would join the strike at noon on Friday, according to the union source.
Read more on CNN.com
This father holding his baby is why MDP stands with workers.
Our Vice Chair Yvonne Reeves-Chong attended the #UAW Local 2250 rally in Wentzville over the weekend. Congresswoman Cori Bush spoke
spoke to the crowd to show Missouri is in support of their stand up strike against the General Motors plant. Congresswoman Bush was joined by Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
“Senator Dianne Feinstein was one of the greatest public servants that California and our nation has ever known. I will never forget how I felt in November 1992 as a 28-year-old prosecutor, driving across the bridge from my home in Oakland into San Francisco to celebrate her election to the United States Senate. Senator Feinstein helped build a better America. She was not only a leader for our state, but for our nation and our world. Doug and I send our prayers to Senator Feinstein’s family,” Vice President Kamala Harris.
Democratic Legislative Network!
We’re excited to team up with Missouri House Democrats to build a stronger Democratic Legislative Network!
We invite you to join us on Mondays at 7:00 p.m. to hear from legislators, get #MoLeg updates, and action items for you to take to make a difference. Sign up here
ON THE CALENDAR
7th Annual Missouri Democrats 4th Congressional District Picnic
· Rural Urban Bridge Initiative, “How the Rural New Deal Could Shake up National Politics & Support Rural” webinar, Wed., Oct. 4, 3 p.m. Sign up: How the Rural New Deal Could Shake up National Politics & Support Rural Tickets, Wed, Oct 4, 2023 at 4:00 PM | Eventbrite
· 1st Annual Democracy Days hosted by Jefferson County Democratic . Central Committee, Sat., Oct. 14, 5 p.m. 12537 Peter Moore Lane, DeSoto. Buffet style meal served 5:00 – 6:30 pm. Live banned book auction starts at 6:30 with famed auctioneer Andrew Young. Campfire, weenie roast, s’mores, music, and dancing (in the moonlight) to follow. Cost is $30. RSVP by donating through https://secure.actblue.com/
· The Apple Festival, Sat., Oct. 7th and Sun., Oct. 8th, Versailles Square. The Miller County Democrats, the Morgan County Democrats and the Indivisible Lake Area Federation of Democrats are sponsoring a booth on both days. They will also have a float in the parade at 8 a.m. Everyone can join! They are asking for candidates and general flyers/brochures for the booth. For more more information, contact Carol Newton, firstname.lastname@example.org
· Cass County Democrats 3rd Annual CassRocks, Sat., Oct. 14, 9 a.m., Polecat Creek Shotgun Park, Harrisonville. For more details: CassRocks! Sporting Clays Shootout 2023
· Ray County Democrats Truman Day, Thurs., Oct. 19, 6 p.m., Branded Steakhouse 708 Wollard Blvd. Richmond. Guest speakers: Jessica Piper, Rep. Eric Woods, Rep. Sarah Unsicker, candidate for MO Attorney General, Erik Richardson, candidate for MO House Dist. 6, and Lucas Kunce, candidate for the US Senate. Cost at the door is $25 which includes a buffet. For more information, contact Clint Crabtree, ctcrabtree@icloud.
· Election Preparation hosted by the Vernon County Democrats, Sat., Nov. 4, 5:30 p.m., The Eagles Lodge, 3313 E. Austin Blvd., Nevada. Plan for a night of entertainment, food and discussion as we prepare for the 2024 election cycle. More information: Vernon County – Google Docs or go to: Vernon Co. Missouri Democrats – Tickets (vernoncomodems.com)
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.