Impending GOP shutdown, gun sale loopholes, high school voter registration, and more!
Contact all members of Congress:
- By phone: (202) 224-3121
- By email: democracy.io
- By US mail: Representatives / Senators
- By fax: Representatives / Senators
- By Resistbot: Resist.bot
Contact White House or other federal agencies:
- IMPENDING GOP SHUTDOWNThe GOP is in such disarray that they are not able to keep the government going. If a funding measure is not passed by Saturday, a shutdown will occur on Sunday. The effects will be far-reaching and devastating to some. The far-right faction in the House is holding our government hostage by not following through on the budget deal that was made in the Spring. The Senate has come up with a bipartisan solution to keep the government going through mid-November and provide dollars to Ukraine, but the House will not entertain it. Let’s tell our senators that we want them to keep working on a solution. Then let’s tell our reps that we want them to remember that they work for us and to step up and keep the government going like we hired them to do.
- CLOSE ONLINE AND GUN SHOW LOOPHOLESUnder the leadership of the Biden-Harris administration, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) has proposed a rule that, if finally adopted, would require background checks on the sales of guns online and at gun shows. The ATF needs to know that there is overwhelming public support for this proposed rule, which would close dangerous legal loopholes and save lives. Everytown for Gun Safety has made it easy for us to submit written comments to the ATF. We can do so using this form , and we can personalize our comments for greater impact!
- KEEP DETAINED IMMIGRANTS SAFE FROM SEXUAL ABUSE
An investigation by Futuro Media found a systematic pattern of sexual abuse of immigrants detained in ICE facilities by staff and immigration officials, and those who complained about these assaults being routinely ignored or actively silenced. This cannot stand. Let’s contact the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and let them know we want to see all those detained protected and those who harm them held accountable. We can also reach out to our members of Congress and push for them to hold hearings on these findings and to pressure DHS for change, along with ending contracts with the private prison companies who run many of these facilities and have failed to keep them safe.
- HIGH SCHOOL VOTER REGISTRATION WEEKNext week, October 2-6, is High School Voter Registration Week! According to The Civics Center, which encourages young people to register and go vote, 4 million Americans turn 18 and become eligible to vote, but nearly half don’t because they don’t register. The Civic Center is holding a series of workshops to teach students, parents, and educators how to hold high school voter registration drives. These workshops are free and available virtually nationwide. If we’re a student, parent, or educator, let’s sign up for a workshop. Otherwise, let’s share this webpage with the students, parents, and educators in our lives and urge them to sign up and learn to run a voter registration drive at our local high school.
- PREVENTING EXTREMISMDomestic terrorism by far-right extremists is rising in the U.S., is a growing concern. Parents for Peace is an organization that helps families and friends intervene with loved ones who are at-risk for extremist radicalization. Let’s take a look at the Parents for Peace website. If we’re worried that someone we care about is being radicalized, we can call the Parents for Peace helpline at 1-844-497-3223. We can also spread the word by sharing this information with others.Thanks for reading Rogan’s List ! Subscribe for free to receive new posts and support my work.
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.