See You at the Nile
Tonight – Tuesday, August 22nd, 6:00-8:00 pm – is our last letter party for the month. Won’t you join us at the Nile? Sign up!
This summer, IC-SS members have written to Ohio & Virginia voters
Join our Vote Forward letter leader Steve Kagan and IC-SS friends towrite letters to Virginia votersin swing districts. This letter campaign focuses on people who don’t always vote but are likely to vote for Democrats when they do cast a ballot. Sign up!
Writing to voters, enjoying tasty fare at the Nile. Join us tonight, Tues Aug 22!
- TONIGHT: Come write to Virginia voters with us on Tues., Aug. 22, 6:00-8:00 pm, at the Nile Restaurant – 1162 E 55th – outdoor patio (indoors if weather or air is bad).
- We’ll provide a few appetizers for the table and encourage everyone to support the Nile by purchasing their own meals and soft drinks.
- The Nile is BYOB, so feel free to bring wine or beer.
- If you can, bring along first-class stamps for the letters.
- Most important, bring yourself! Sign up
But wait, there’s more! Two Virginia letter parties are coming in September. Sign up now for our letter parties on Wednesday, September 6th and Thursday, September 21st, 6:00-8:00 pm at the Nile.
Organizations and Opportunities
Indivisible Chicago-South Side shares information and actions from other organizations on issues important in our country, state, city, and communities.
Ward Night, Ald. Yancy: Tonight, Aug 22
From Ald. Desmon Yancy, 5th Ward: We’re excited to invite you to our WARD NIGHT, where we can engage in meaningful conversations about what matters most to you in the ward. Ward Night will be held every 2nd and 4th Tuesday from 5:00pm – 7:00pm at 2101 E. 71st St., Suite D. The next Ward Night is TONIGHT, Tuesday, August 22nd!
At Ward Night, you’ll have the opportunity to:
- Connect with your community: Meet fellow residents and discuss local issues, initiatives, and concerns that are important to you.
- Have your voice heard: Your opinions and ideas matter. Ward Night is the perfect platform to voice your thoughts and contribute to the betterment of our Ward.
- Stay informed: Get firsthand updates on ongoing projects, upcoming events, and initiatives aimed at enhancing the quality of life in our ward.
Notes from IC-SS:
- For more information about Ward Night for the 5th ward, call Ald. Yancy’s office at 773-324-5555 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Not sure which ward you live in? Check here.
District Council 2 Meeting: Tonight, Aug 22
From the 2nd District Council: The next meeting of the 2nd Police District Council is coming up tomorrow!
DATE: Tuesday, August 22nd
TIME: 6:30 – 8:00pm, doors open at 6:00
WHERE: Church Of The Good Shepherd, 5700 S. Prairie Ave.
NOTE: You can attend the 2nd District Council meeting in person at the above address OR register here to attend remotely via Zoom.
Bring Chicago Home Town Hall: Aug. 30
JCUA and Not Me We are bringing together community members on the South Side to learn about the Bring Chicago Home ordinance, and we’ve invited Alds. Lamont Robinson (4), Desmon Yancy (5), Gregory Mitchell (7), and Michelle Harris (8) to attend and hear from their constituents.
There will be childcare available and dinner provided after the town hall. Sign up.
Background info: Bring Chicago Home (BCH) is the long-term, systemic solution to homelessness our communities have been asking for. It would create a dedicated revenue stream for affordable housing and services — safely housing 12,000 families over the next 10 years. We can do this by raising the one-time Real Estate Transfer Tax taxes only on properties purchased for more than $1 million. ~ Jimmy Rothschild, JCUA blog post
SUBSCRIBE: Did someone forward this newsletter to you? If you’d like to subscribe and get our newsletter every Monday morning, click here to subscribe.
SUGGEST: Got an event or resource to suggest for the newsletter? Email us here.
Indivisible Chicago-South Side
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.