The Ohio Scoop is your weekly political fix, filled with the most up-to-date information about Ohio Democrats and everything happening on the campaign trail here in Ohio. We’re here so you can get your political scoop, all in one place.
If you’re new to the list, welcome. You were added because you are one of Ohio Democrats’ best supporters. For those of you who are returning, welcome back.
This week, we have a special Cherry on Top edition of The Ohio Scoop with a note from our Chairwoman, Liz Walters. Let’s jump right in.
Drinks w/ Dems in Dayton!
Because our Ohio Democrats Drinks with Dems event in Cincinnati last month was such a success, we are continuing the series with an event in Dayton, OH on Thursday, June 29th.
We would love for you to join us for a casual cocktail hour to mingle with local Democrats and get fired up about the August 8th Special Election.
Funds raised at the event will help us turn out Democrats to vote “NO” on Issue 1 on August 8th. For questions, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
OH Dems By the Numbers
Ohio Dems have been busy, busy, busy, and it can get confusing keeping up with all of the work we’ve been doing. So, we collected some facts and figures below to help you catch up. Without further ado…
364 days since the fall of Roe v. WadeOne year ago tomorrow, the Supreme Court overturned. Now, Ohio is ground zero for abortion rights.If you’re able, please consider chipping in $25 or more to help us mobilize voters across the state to defend the initiative petition process and protect reproductive rights in Ohio.
103,624 signatures collected to put reproductive rights on the ballot
- This week, Ohio Dems turned 103,624 signatures from all 88 counties into the verification office in advance of the July 5th deadline.
- We are one member of a larger team working to get abortion on the ballot as soon as possible. We’re quickly approaching the deadline when just over 400,000 valid signatures must be turned into the Secretary of State’s office.
- THANK YOU to the hundreds of volunteers across the state for working to get signatures in all 88 counties in Ohio.
- And what do Ohio Dems do when they hit 100,000 signatures? Have an ice cream party of course! We’re always on brand.
22 days to Ohio Democrats 2023 Family Reunion
- Democrats from all over the state will gather to hear from statewide elected officials including Supreme Court Justice Melody Stewart, the Democratic Congressional delegation, US Senator Sherrod Brown and guest speaker and former Planned Parenthood president, Cecile Richards!
- Buy your ticket today and join us on Saturday, July 15th for this exciting day!
46 days to the August 8th election
- Republicans continue their assault on reproductive rights in Ohio, sneaking through a $15 million, taxpayer-funded election in August with the goal of preventing an abortion rights ballot initiative from passing in November. Frank LaRose even said the quiet part out loud, admitting that the August election is ‘100 percent’ about abortion.
- We all know how important this August 8th election is to the values that we hold close. Be sure to check your voter registration and make a plan to vote
Every dollar helps us close funding gaps as Ohio Dems scale efforts to turn out Democrats to vote NO on Issue 1. Support our efforts to save citizen-led ballot initiatives below!
28,500 doors knocked
- Ohioans have been out knocking doors in advance of the August 8th special election. This is only the beginning! There will be hundreds of Ohioans knocking doors this weekend to remind folks to vote NO on August 8th. You can get in on the fun by…
Signing up to be a volunteer leader!
If you are willing to consistently knock doors two shifts a week and train volunteers to knock doors that attend your shifts, go ahead and sign up for a Volunteer Leadership Training! You only need to attend one training to get started.
Signing up to knock doors!
Can’t commit to hosting two canvassing shifts per week but still want to knock doors? Sign up on the canvassing interest form! A volunteer leader from your area will reach out shortly to get you plugged into their canvassing efforts.
35,996 calls made
- Volunteers from all over the country have been hopping on virtual phone banks to call voters and make sure they turn out to vote NO on August 8th.
Sign up to phone bank with Ohio Dems
If you’re unable to canvass and would rather call voters to get out the word about the August special election, sign up for one of our phonebanks! After attending a training you will be ready to make calls at any time that fits your schedule.
137 days to the November 7th, 2023 Election
- 6,000 + municipal elections are on the ballot in November of this year and it’s so important that we turn out and elect Democrats into local offices across the state.
And 501 days to the November 5th, 2024 election where we will re-elect U.S. Senator Sherrod Brown!
Ohio Democrats have come a long way, but we still have a long way to go. Thank you for joining us in the fight. We hope you’ll stay with us through all of the fun.
The Cherry on Top
Thank you for being a part of the Ohio Dems family! Today is the first of what I hope will become regular notes from me, to you, about our work in Ohio. I am hoping an occasional note from me in “The Scoop” will be the cherry on top of your Friday reading. (See what I did there? )
This week, Ohio Dems reached a big milestone – reaching the 100k signature mark in our petition drive for Ohioans United for Reproductive Rights. As a coalition partner, it’s important to me that we live up to our commitments, and I couldn’t be more proud of the work our volunteers, leaders, and staff have done to reach this point. In 2 months, OH Dems have collected over 104,000 signatures from all 88 counties with 750 active volunteers.
And there is still more news to share. While this amazing signature work has been underway, we’ve also launched our Vote No on Issue 1 effort, and it’s off to a great start. As of today OH Dems volunteers have knocked 28.5k doors and made 35.9k phone calls to help voters make a plan to vote No on State Issue 1 on August 8.
It’s especially meaningful to me that we are reaching these milestones, and seeing our activist community thrive, as we mark the one year anniversary of the Dobbs decision this weekend. I’ve talked to a lot of reporters this week about the fights in Ohio, what’s at stake, and what it all means given the context of this moment. Through it all, I can’t stop thinking about the 10 year old girl who made national headlines a year ago this weekend. She was raped by a family acquaintance and fled to Indiana to access the abortion care she needed.
In the year since, Ohio Republicans have done nothing to make sure that never happens again. One year later, these same folks have now taken their attacks to the ballot box. And are taking direct aim at our rights. They are leading the charge for a total abortion ban in this country.
Despite all this, I remain optimistic. Because something else is happening in Ohio.
One year ago, we rallied with thousands at the statehouse to let the GOP know: We Won’t Go Back!
In May we shook the packed statehouse rotunda with our chants: We Won’t Go Back!
All 104,000 petition signers are showing: We Won’t Go Back!
Every day this summer we’ll remind voters all over Ohio: We Won’t Go Back!
46 Days until August 8 – 473,600 doors to go
Let’s get after it –
Chair Liz Walters
Until Next Time
Ohio Democrats are working hard gearing up to re-elect Senator Sherrod Brown in 2024. Please consider contributing as much as you can to help Ohio Democrats turn out as many of our voters as we can to vote NO on Issue 1 in August.
If you’re unsure about how much more you can contribute, simply reply to this email. We’d be happy to help.
As always, thank you for standing with us. I am immensely grateful for your partnership.
Finance Director, Ohio Democrats
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.