Adult guardian crisis, COVID, family detention , and more!
Contact all members of Congress:
- By phone: (202) 224-3121
- By email: democracy.io
- By US mail: Representatives / Senators
- By fax: Representatives / Senators
- By Resistbot: Resist.bot
Contact White House or other federal agencies:
- THE U.S. ADULT GUARDIAN CRISISWhile there are many situations that require adult guardianships, it is paramount that a person’s dignity and assets be treated responsibly. This is often not the case. There are serious issues concerning the abuse of the adult guardianship program in the U.S. Bloomberg Law has begun a four-part series on this tragedy. Guardianship laws vary by state, but the Justice Department offers guidance and oversight in some instances. The Special Senate Committee on Aging has held hearings on this and two years ago The Guardianship Accountability Act of 2021 was introduced in the Senate, but went nowhere. Let’s contact the Special Senate Committee on Aging and ask them to make this a priority. Let’s also check out G.A.I.N., a website of victims and families harmed by guardianship and see how we can help.
- SUPPORT THE ASSAULT WEAPONS BAN OF 2023During the 10-yr period the federal Assault Weapons Ban was in effect, mass shooting fatalities were 70% less likely to occur. Several Democratic & Independent Senators are not yet sponsoring the Assault Weapons Ban of 2023 (S. 25). Let’s not let there be another #GenerationLockdown. If our senator is on this list let’s ask them to co-sponsor and support this bill. It is way past time.
- REJECT PANDEMIC REVISIONISMEpidemiologist Katelyn Jetelina is warning that the (Republican-dominated) House Select Subcommittee on the Coronavirus Pandemic is failing to investigate with integrity the response to the COVID-19 pandemic and how we could do better. Let’s tell our Members of Congress in both chambers that we expect serious, genuine, evidence-based, scientific inquiry, not propaganda—because our lives depend on it.
- ABORTION AND DATA PRIVACYLaw enforcement has been serving search warrants to social media, tech, and advertising companies, all of which acquire user information from online pharmacies that sell abortion medication, in order to enforce draconian abortion laws. While users can opt out of sharing their information on social media, or adjust privacy settings on their browsers, third parties can still obtain user data when a person uses certain online pharmacies; something that is not protected by health privacy law. Let’s contact our MoC and ask them to reintroduce the American Data Privacy and Protection Act, and the My Body, My Data Act, which would limit how personal data and health information can be shared. We can also contact online pharmacies and ask them to stop sharing data with Google and other third parties: Abortion Ease, Best Abortion Pill, Privacy PillRX, Pills Online RX, Secure Abortion Pills, Abortion RX, Abortion Privacy, Online Abortion Pill RX
- BIDEN CONSIDERS RETURN TO FAMILY DETENTION We all remember the horrific images of families detained at the southern border by the Trump administration; now, many news sources are reporting that family detention is once again being considered, this time by the Biden administration, as a possibility once Trump’s “public health” measure, Title 42 (or Return to Mexico), runs out on May 1st. Biden has already found a way to effectively extend Title 42 by invoking the safe third country principle. Homeland Security claims “No decisions have been made as we prepare for the Title 42 Public Health Order to lift,” but it is up to us to ensure that the humane, responsible decisions are made. Let’s contact the White House and Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas at (202) 282-8000 or @SecMayorkas.
- MOST: TRACKING ANTI-LGBTQ BILLS AND TAKING ACTIONExtremist groups are coordinating to restrict LGBTQI rights, with nearly 400 anti-LGBTQ bills introduced in 2021, and 300 were proposed in 2022. Multiple states have already enacted anti-LGBTQI+ bills, with 14 states banning transgender students from school sports and four restricting access to gender-affirming care. These attacks, which put LGBTQI+ communities at risk, are not slowing down either. 100 new bills have already been introduced this year. With so many attacks on LGBTQ rights happening across the country, it can be hard to keep track and know when and how to speak up against them. Fortunately, the ACLU now has a webpage where we can find out what bills are proposed in our state legislatures and the let our state legislators know that we will stand for these rights being torn away. We can also check out the Human Rights Campaign to stay informed about bills in our state, write/sign on to letters of support, and learn about other actions we can take. https://www.hrc.org/campaigns/the-state-legislative-attack-on-lgbtq-people
- MOST: TRACKING ABORTION BILLAmericans United for Life, a forced pregnancy organization, is tracking abortion bills filed in state legislatures across the country. Let’s look at their state legislation tracker, find the bills pending in our state, and tell our state senators and representatives to oppose the bills that restrict abortion and support the bills that advance reproductive rights (citing bill number and title).
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.