GUN SAFETY RAPID RESPONSE REQUIRED
SUPPORT FOR CITY COUNCIL BILL 57
Three Actions You Can Take:
1. SUBMIT TESTIMONY NEEDED BY
9AM WEDNESDAY FEB 22nd – see below for instructions.
2. CALL YOUR COUNCILPERSON TO ASK HE/SHE TO SUPPORT THE BILL.
3. ATTEND THE FEB 22 HEARING IN PERSON
RAPID RESPONSE IS NEEDED TO SUPPORT GUN SAFETY IN HAWAII!!
There have been over 600 applications to carry a concealed gun in Hawaii.since June, when the Supreme Court decreed that Hawaii has to issue concealed carry permits. At least 36 permits have already been being issued without any restrictions as to where guns cannot be carried!
In case something delays the state’s response, the Honolulu City Council is continuing its consideration of Bill 57, a very strong bill that defines sensitive places where guns can not be carried. The bill has passed its first and second reading and is now back before the full Council with only minor technical amendments. The Mayor has asked for our support (ideally in person) but written testimony is fine.
Please submit testimony by WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 22 by 9am asking the Council to support the bill.
Here’s how to submit your testimony:
1. Log on to: https://www.honolulucitycouncil.org/
2. Click box on right to submit testimony
3. You will be prompted to select meeting Choose COUNCIL.
4. Press select
5. The tenth bill 0n the list is Bill057(22) Press the select button on the right.
6. Fill out the form that appears. You can sign up to testify orally (in person or via Zoom) or submit written testimony or do both. Complete and submit.
Feel free to cut and paste the statement I’ve provided below, write your own comments or just say “I support bill 57.”
Here is a short statement you can cut and paste
I am very pleased that the current bill retains the most important “default” provision as well as the list of other “sensitive places” where guns cannot be carried. I ask the Council to support the current bill.
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.