Billionaires dump Trump to peddle DeSantis. What’s their angle?
FOX News, Wall Street Journal and the NY Post (all owned by Rupert Murdoch) praise DeSantis. Musk whitewashes DeSantis’ book bans and persecution of minorities. Slanted media coverage isn’t free. What do Murdoch and Musk hope to get in return? Follow the money.
- Elon Musk continues to cater to far-right Twitter accounts promoting bigotry, extremism, and misinformation – Media Matters
- Twitter can’t handle the truth. Whitewash DeSantis’ racism and misogyny – Popular Information
- Bannon Says Fox News Has ‘Turned on Trump,’ Favors DeSantis – Newsweek
- The GOP Is More Dependent Than Ever on Democratic Dysfunction – NY Mag Intelligencer
- Why are Murdoch’s FOX News and NY Post attacking Gigi Sohn? – DemLabs
How do these headlines help explain why are Musk and Murdoch beautifying DeSantis? Follow along with this StoryMap.
Billionaires put lipstick on a pig
Musk peddles DeSantis
Appending inaccurate information to Popular Information’s tweet raises disturbing questions about the nature of Twitter. Musk is also a public supporter of DeSantis. Now, the Community Note feature is being used to discredit accurate reporting about the impacts of DeSantis’ policies… Since taking over Twitter, however, Musk has repeatedly catered to the far-right. – Popular Information
Murdoch peddles DeSantis
“The game’s up for the Donald… It’s time Republicans put their faith in the Ronald,” Piers Morgan wrote in a recent column for the New York Post, referring to Florida Governor Ron DeSantis. The piece also outlined how Fox News has been giving DeSantis a national spotlight ahead of a possible 2024 presidential run. – NewsWeek
“There’s no way these papers are dumping the Donald without the tacit assent of Lachlan and Rupert Murdoch.” – David Folkenflik, NPR correspondent and author of Murdoch’s World – Vanity Fair .
“Murdoch’s never sacrificed anything for America”
“The Murdochs —-Australians via England—not American, have never sacrificed anything for this Country—their entire media Empire has turned on Trump — Fox News, Wall Street Journal , New York Post , Times of London , The Sun etc etc etc——all lockstep against Trump,” Bannon said in a post on Gettr. Murdoch “has zero ‘feel’ for America or Americans— I know this first hand —from 2015 and 2016,” Bannon added. “Fear not — we’ve got this.” – Newsweek
How to make a complex issue understandable
How do you cut through the crap, and explain a complex issue understandable to people who are busy and on the move. Keep it simple. Engaging. Easy to read on any device and share. This is how this infographic explains why Rupert Murdoch and Elon Musk are donating free glowing media coverage to DeSantis, and what they hope to get in return.
- The story is created with esri StoryMap software with cartoons from Political Cartoons.
- The infographic with President Biden’s biggest accomplishments was created with the Infogram app.
- The network map of why Republicans, FOX News and Wall Street Journal are attacking Gigi Sohn’s nomination to the FCC was created with the Kumu app.
- A lot of information is packed behind a funny facade based on a photo by Carole Bethuel at Berline Intl Film Festival
- The StoryMap includes comments from different publications including NBC, Popular Information, Independent, Vanity Fair, TruthOut, Newsweek and NY Mag.
TakeAway: Follow the money to see why billionaires push DeSantis and Republicans to get even more tax cuts. Vote for Democrats instead to represent your interests.
DISCLAIMER: ALTHOUGH THE DATA FOUND IN THIS BLOG AND INFOGRAPHIC HAS BEEN PRODUCED AND PROCESSED FROM SOURCES BELIEVED TO BE RELIABLE, NO WARRANTY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED CAN BE MADE REGARDING THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, LEGALITY OR RELIABILITY OF ANY SUCH INFORMATION. THIS DISCLAIMER APPLIES TO ANY USES OF THE INFORMATION WHETHER ISOLATED OR AGGREGATE USES THEREOF.
Reposted from Democracy Labs with permission.
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.