Election Day, November 8, 2022
“Preelection polls in 2020 had the largest errors in 40 years.”
from Vanderbilt University Study
Polling? The Red Wave? Ignore It.
We have the people. We need to get them safely to the polls.
“By failing to acknowledge the shortcomings of polling, the media are giving the public a false or skewed representation of how competitive this election may be and running the risk of making those predictions a self-fulfilled prophecy. If voters take the prognosticating at face value, they would believe the election is already determined, which could hinder turnout.”
Help Get Out the Vote!
“No one really has any clue about what’s going to happen in the midterms,” Kurt Bardella, Los Angeles Times, October 25, 2022 Graphic: Creative Commons, Camilo Caffi
A message to Lean Left volunteers from Lucy Russell, campaign manager for Valerie Jordan in NC Senate District 3: “[T]hank you for all you are doing to activate supporters in Vermont. Your passion is so heartening. It has been so cool to see donations & phone bankers coming in all the way from Vermont. You inspire us to care more about our neighbors, even when we don’t live exactly right across the street! Thanks to your generous support, we are reaching more voters across NC Senate District 3 this week!”
- Our support now is more important than ever! Donate to Valerie Jordan, then pick up the phone and make some calls to turn out the vote in her district. This is a true Get-Out-the-Vote effort for Valerie and Cheri Beasley for U.S. Senate: You’ll identify Dems with a single question, then give them information that will help them cast their ballots. You can make these calls every day of the week using This FAQ. For questions and training, contact Dana.
Early Vote has started! Due to Republican gerrymandering, Wisconsin Dems are only a few seats away from becoming a super minority in the state legislature. At risk are abortion access, voting rights, and more. Sister District is defending critical seats, like Lee Snodgrass’ State Assembly District 57, turning out as many voters as possible to not only protect Lee’s seat but to re-elect Democratic Governor Tony Evers and defeat GOP U.S. Senator Ron Johnson.
- On Friday, October 28, Jonathan Van Ness from Queer Eye will be joining Sister District to phone bank for Lee Snodgrass. Sign up here for this special event. Then Join Sister District Wisconsin on Thursday and Saturday through Election Day to make calls to targeted voters to get out the vote. Sign up here!
David Martin, a Lean Left volunteer, recently reported, “Yesterday couldn’t have been better for walking around a Littleton neighborhood for GOTV time. In a funny way, I felt like I was ‘experiencing the news.’ People kept bringing up Roe, and that they have daughters, so they’ll back the Dems, and yesterday three people said that to me. I think they were Dems to start with, but now they were more determined Dems.” Congressmembers Chris Pappas and Annie Kuster, Senator Maggie Hassan, and a good field of candidates for the State House of Representatives and Executive Council must win on November 8. To do this, they need your help. Here are two things you can do in the next two weeks.
- Sign up for a canvas shift on our website.
- Organize New Hampshire is making calls to get out the vote almost every day throughout the day. You can SIGN UP HERE. They are using HubDialer, an automatic dialer that connects you directly with people. You’ll be calling Democratic and Independent voters — it is wonderful to hear the excitement in people’s voices!
Encouraging news out of PA — almost 500,000 early votes have been cast so far, and it looks as if the Dems are ahead. Among people who have voted early and those voting for the first time ever, the Dems hold a nearly 40-point margin. The work of making calls to voters is succeeding, but we have to keep the pressure on. Just as in 2020, Pennsylvania is critical.
- Join Turn PA Blue & the PA House Democratic Campaign Committee to call Pennsylvania voters about their Mail-In Ballots and help make sure their voices are heard on November 8! Training provided. SIGN UP HERE!
Fund the Movement
As we head into the home stretch, your financial support will go toward supporting
- a proven vote-getter, TurnPA Blue, whose work supports candidates up and down the ballot, including the race for a U.S. Senate seat,
- the New Hampshire Young Democrats, a powerhouse with a proven track record that could actually flip the 2020 right-wing takeover of the state,
- Valerie Jordan, running for the North Carolina Senate, an at-risk Democrat in an uncomfortably close struggle that could end with the Republicans gaining a supermajority in the state legislature.
- Wisconsin, Governor Tony Evers, the only bulwark against the state legislature’s ultra-conservative agenda.
Or contribute through your Giving Circle!
Lean Left Vermont has raised more than $325,000 since 2017!
Every Sunday between now and November 8, we’ll be making calls together at the Lean Left PowerHour. Show up anytime between 3 and 5 pm, then spend an hour working with other like-minded activists. If you only have one hour per week to dedicate to strengthening our democracy, PowerHour is the place for you! Here’s how it works.
Good Trouble Cafes + Giving Circles
Add Up to a Stronger Movement
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.