In the news
1. I have been closely focused on Ukraine this week, as I think most of us have. I am in awe of President Zelensky for his courage, his forthrightness, and his leadership. I do not know what the next week holds, and I am trying to limit the doomscrolling!
2. On the home front, Texas and Florida have both used the war in Ukraine as a distraction from their inhumane policies toward LGBTQ+ kids.
3. President Biden nominated Ketanji Brown Jackson for the Supreme Court.
Last week, I had the honor of presenting a talk on democratic messaging to Democratic candidates for state office in Indiana at a retreat hosted by Indiana Women’s Action Movement. If you or your group is interested in learning more about effective messaging using the race-class narrative, please email Stephanie Wilson.
First, this week we want to call out the Republicans who are for Putin or not solidly behind Biden and Ukraine. Ukraine=Democracy, and Putin=Dictatorship. Those who are pro-Putin (or anti-Biden) are attacking democracy abroad and giving comfort to our adversaries.
Next, we want to raise awareness of the “Don’t Say Gay” bill in Florida, where discussions of gender and sexuality are forbidden in elementary school and harshly curbed in older grades. We also want to show our vocal support of trans people in Texas, where the state is trying to call gender-affirming care child abuse.
Third, we want to vocally support Ketanji Brown Jackson for SCOTUS!
We have some great content from members of our Meme Team, which I have shared below. Please join us for Messaging Monday on February 28 at 2:00 pm ET (register here) and Meme Team Tuesday on March 1 at 2:00 pm ET (register here).
Download and share the content below to as many places as possible. Visit our Graphics Library. for more great resources!
- Find Instagram-sized content here in our Graphics Library.
- Download the content above and post to Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, or another platform of your choice. (Click on the image to enlarge, then right click/double finger click to “save image as”). Everything you see here is free and open source.
- Commit to stop refuting Republican messaging with their own words. It is time to change the conversation framing to our own ground and to start talking about the #FreedomToThrive or Republicans criming. Do not like, retweet, or comment on Republican content online—screenshot if you must.
As you find quality content online, please share it on social media or post it in our slack. If you are not yet a member of our slack, send me email or DM me in Twitter, and I will invite you. If you are a member of the Twitter DM rooms, please share it in there so we can all amplify.
We are working with the world to preserve democracy in Ukraine. We must preserve it at home as well. If we work together, we can help Democrats win more elections at every level. We have succeeded before, and we can do it again!
Mark your calendar
- Every Monday we meet for Messaging Mondays to discuss the week’s priorities and messaging. Please join us and register here!
- Every Tuesday we meet for Meme Team Tuesdays to create messages and memes to be shared on social media. Please join us and register here! No experience is required.
- Tuesday, March 1 is a Messaging Huddle with the Media and Democracy Project. Please Register here.
I have been keeping a close eye on events in Ukraine and have compiled a Twitter list of sources for reliable information about the situation and policy.
MPD messaging resources
Check out our new resources page for tip sheets, messaging guidance, Canva how-to’s, Canva templates, and more! Keep coming back for updates. Get started with the following tip sheets for Twitter and Facebook.
- Twitter Twips and Twicks will help you create, curate, and circulate content effectively. Feel free to download it and pass it around as much as you like.
- Facebook Fun Facts will show you how to use groups to maximize engagement on Facebook.
Support our work
Ladies—can you spare a bit of cash to help us create content and defend democracy? (Guys, I welcome your support too! As far as I can tell, about 80% of MPD is female.) We are working hard to create content and amplify it to help blue candidates in November. We are all volunteers and need funds for subscriptions to bring you better content. Can you chip in $5 today?
Did you receive this newsletter from a friend or see it on social media?
Please subscribe to have a copy sent to your inbox each week.
Thank you for reading our newsletter and following our social media
Questions or comments?
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.