Florida– This afternoon, President Biden signed the American Rescue Plan, a historic and comprehensive piece of legislation that will provide critical COVID-19 relief to Florida. In response, Florida Democratic Party Chair Manny Diaz released the following statement:
“Today President Joe Biden and the Democrats delivered on their promise to provide desperately needed aid and relief to the American people. This pandemic has been devastating Florida for over a year and now finally, help is here. The American Rescue Plan will provide over 17 billion dollars in aid to Florida and our local governments, put $1400 checks in the pockets of millions of Floridians, expand unemployment insurance, cut child poverty in half, and rapidly expand vaccine access. This historic and transformational legislation will position our state to turn the tide on this pandemic and also save the lives of countless Floridians. The voters of Florida will not forget that it was President Biden and the Democrats who finally got them the help they needed, while every single Republican in Congress voted to deny them this life saving help during this crisis.”
More on what the American Rescue Plan will do for Florida:
- Over 10 million Florida households are going to receive stimulus payments of $1400 because of the American Rescue Plan
- The American Rescue Plan is going to provide over 17 billion dollars to the state and local governments here in Florida. With approximately 10 billion going directly to our state government.
- This is money that our Republican led state legislature desperately needs to make up COVID-19 related budget shortfalls. It is also money that local governments need – that is why Republican and Democratic mayors across the state have come out in support of the plan.
- This plan more than doubles the weekly unemployment benefits for the average Floridian.
- The likely federal unemployment insurance impact here in Florida will be over 7 billion dollars.
- That is the difference between putting food on the table and not, between buying diapers for your child and not.
- This bill also expands the Child Tax Credit which will benefit over 3.8 million children in Florida and will lift hundreds of thousands of Florida children out of poverty all together.
- This bill will offer Floridians over 1.1 billion dollars in rental assistance.
Photo by Gage Skidmore. (CC BY-SA 2.0)
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.