President Joe Biden Takes Action on Health Care, Reproductive Freedom
After almost a decade of Republican attempts to strip health care from millions of Americans, President Joe Biden signed two executive actions that will begin to restore and strengthen Americans’ access to quality, affordable health care.
The Biden-Harris administration is reopening enrollment to the Health Insurance Marketplace, taking additional steps to strengthen Medicaid and the Affordable Care Act and protecting women’s reproductive freedom.
These actions demonstrate a strong commitment by the Biden-Harris administration to build on the Affordable Care Act, meet needs created by the pandemic, reduce health care costs, protect access to reproductive care and make our health care system easier to navigate and more equitable.
Miranda and Ingram Call for Debt Relief During PandemicState Reps. Jessica E. Miranda and Catherine Ingram have introduced emergency legislation to halt the collection of student and medical debt owed to state higher education institutions and hospitals operated by those institutions during the COVID-19 pandemic.
“Student and medical debt places a great burden on working families during normal times and has only been exacerbated by this pandemic,” said Miranda. “This emergency legislation will provide much needed financial relief to many Ohioans.”
“It is Ohio’s promise to help the most vulnerable and provide assistance for low income individuals and individuals in extreme need,” said Ingram. “Forty-five days is simply not enough time to pay back debts owed when many are in extreme economic distress.”
Call on Ohio Senate to Remove Huffman as Health Committee Chairman
Ohio Senate President Matt Huffman has appointed Sen. Steve Huffman (his cousin) to chair the Senate Health Committee. Steve Huffman used offensive language and made prejudiced comments about Black Ohioans, who have suffered a disproportionate impact of the coronavirus crisis. An emergency room doctor, Steve Huffman was removed from his position at a local hospital — but Ohio Senate Republicans gave him a promotion and a key policymaking role on the issue of health care.
- Thursday, Feb. 11 — Columbiana County Young Democrats Meeting
- Thursday, Feb. 11 — Northwest Montgomery County Democrats Meeting
- Saturday, Feb. 13 — Knox County Democratic Women Galentine’s Day City Council Fundraiser
- Saturday, Feb. 13 — Summit County Democratic Party Valentine’s Drive-through Fundraiser
- Saturday, Feb. 13 — Greene County Democratic Party Meeting
- Tuesday, Feb. 16 — Reynoldsburg Area Democrats Mardi Gras Drive-through Fundraiser
- Monday, Feb. 22 — League of Women Voters of Ohio Luncheon Discussion with State Rep. Brigid Kelly
- Wednesday, Feb. 24 — Upper Arlington Progressive Action Book Club
- Wednesday, March 3 — Fairfield County Democratic Party Book Discussion
- Thursday, March 11 — ACLU Ohio Legislative Update on Reproductive Rights in Ohio
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.